What would you do?

Drewhop

So here is the situation.

You are repoing a car. You have a CCW and your weapon on you. You locate a vehicle. You block in the vehicle so they can not leave. They immediatly get out of the vehicle and run at you saying they are going to kill you.

What is your reaction? They look unarmed. They are also screaming I am a heroine addict I will fucking kill you.

Oh and this is a true story.

Lets hear your reaction.

Wouldn't you be the aggressor in that situation?

From my CCW class I'm remembering something about 3 things that are needed to be considered a reasonable case for self defense.

1) Intent of killing you

2) Capability (do they have, or do you think they have a deadly force item)

3) Reason to fear for your life from the above two

It sounds like it was just a crazy person screaming at 'you' because 'you' were going to take their car (I know 'you' were in the right here). Regardless of the law I would hate to shoot someone dead over them screaming at me.

I would retreat.. If they pursue the situation and show you reason to believe that death or great bodily harm is going to occur then I would pull.. If someone is running or saying they are going to kill you I don't think that is enough to pull out your weapon.

If I were in that line of work, I'd likely carry a taser and a gun. Then when in that exact situation, I would put them down with the Taser without hesitation, restrain the individual with something. Immediately call the cops, wait until they arrive, file a report and continue doing my job.

Can't say for sure as I'm not in that line of work. All I know is when I have my gun on my person or in my car, my very last resort is to pull it because I'm under the belief that you don't pull it out unless you're 100% prepared to take a life. A repo, especially if it's just my job, isn't worth my living with all that comes with killing someone.

Can't wait to hear the details.

You are repoing a car. You have a CCW and your weapon on you. You locate a vehicle. You block in the vehicle so they can not leave. They immediatly get out of the vehicle and run at you saying they are going to kill you.

What is your reaction? They look unarmed. They are also screaming I am a heroine addict I will fucking kill you.

Lets hear your reaction.

If I were in that line of work, I'd likely carry a taser and a gun. Then when in that exact situation, I would put them down with the Taser without hesitation, restrain the individual with something. Immediately call the cops, wait until they arrive, file a report and continue doing my job.

Can't say for sure as I'm not in that line of work. All I know is when I have my gun on my person or in my car, my very last resort is to pull it because I'm under the belief that you don't pull it out unless you're 100% prepared to take a life. A repo, especially if it's just my job, isn't worth my living with all that comes with killing someone.

Can't wait to hear the details.

Well put.

Basically I made the decision that he was not a threat. I tried to provoke him into throwing a punch but he would not do it. I got called some new phrases I have not heard before. In the end I left with his car and took his keys to drive it back.

Just wondered how some would react to the situation.

I will be honest I have seen people on drugs before but this was my first run in with someone on heroin. Guy was seriously bat shit crazy looking. Flailing his arms around screaming at everyone in the neighborhood. Maybe he was on something different but he felt the need to tell me multiple times how he was on heroin and "you know how us heroin boys roll".

Well put.

Basically I made the decision that he was not a threat. I tried to provoke him into throwing a punch but he would not do it. I got called some new phrases I have not heard before. In the end I left with his car and took his keys to drive it back.

Just wondered how some would react to the situation.

I will be honest I have seen people on drugs before but this was my first run in with someone on heroin. Guy was seriously bat shit crazy looking. Flailing his arms around screaming at everyone in the neighborhood. Maybe he was on something different but he felt the need to tell me multiple times how he was on heroin and "you know how us heroin boys roll".

I don't have your size, or maybe i would have done that :)

I believe you have a duty to flee if you consider yourself in danger before engaging someone, but it might be different if you are in your car? I know there is the "castle" law in Ohio pertaining to homes, but I cannot recall if a car is included in this...?

anyone?

I believe you have a duty to flee if you consider yourself in danger before engaging someone, but it might be different if you are in your car? I know there is the "castle" law in Ohio pertaining to homes, but I cannot recall if a car is included in this...?

anyone?

you can protect yourself if you are in your car. If you are outside of it and someone is stealing it you cannot shoot.

If I were doing a repo, I wouldn't give the owner any chance of knowing what was going on if I could help it. Which means waiting until they are out of sight to go for the car. That is the last situation I would want to end up in, but assuming I was in the middle of a repo and the owner appeared and was acting like that, my gun would stay hidden until either they pull a weapon, or I get physically attacked.

If I were doing a repo, I wouldn't give the owner any chance of knowing what was going on if I could help it. Which means waiting until they are out of sight to go for the car. That is the last situation I would want to end up in, but assuming I was in the middle of a repo and the owner appeared and was acting like that, my gun would stay hidden until either they pull a weapon, or I get physically attacked.

100% agree. Why go through the hassle and potential danger of even putting yourself in that situation if you dont have to? Not saying it was avoidable but best case scenario, do it when no one is around to catch you. Why provoke someone who's already a loser and is gonna get fucked over?

• Downvote 1

THIS........

and my buddy who does repo in cleveland says he can't legally repo the car if they are in it and the car is running or they are driving it. but as soon as they park it and leave, then its fair game......

so your story makes nosense to me......

Lets hear your reaction.

With the way the law works i would say that they would say you put your self in that position. It would probabally cost Thousands to fight your case if you actually shot and killed. By you doing repo and "Blocking him in" you brought your self upon the conflict. I'm against how they would look at it and with you. But unfourtinatly the law does not take our side on this one.

You better stay in the car or drive off. Mixing guns with this situation isnt going to get anyone on your side for damn sure.

^^ credibility brought to this thread right there. yeah, I can't imagine it would end well should a shot have been fired or even a gun drawn.