Gauging interest in meat and eggs.

Akula

Ant/Mods, if this is in violation of the policies etc.... just delete the post.

I am trying to see if anyone would be interested in pastured poultry. I have a small farm and I am ramping up production for this year. Just curious if anyone would want chemical free, pastured Chicken, Turkey or some Rabbit. I have eggs available as well.

If you are interested I am trying to see how much to ramp up. I could get 2000 broilers, but I don't have that kind of freezer space.

Basically being unemployed has taught me that I need to pay my mortgage off so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very interested, me and my family all buy our chicken, fish, and eggs and the japanese store and pay much higher prices due to chemical free 100% natural meat. I do know they get there meat in hardin county from amish farmers. We usually end up paying alot more then chicken from walmart or the comassary.

I would be interested in some chicken. If you want rabbits(Californian & Dutch), I have many, but I dont butcher them though. My kids are into 4H Market Rabbits. Edited by RS69

Basically being unemployed has taught me that I need to pay my mortgage off so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Can't help you much on the original topic, but I will say that yes...pay off the mortgage and get yourself out of debt. I have 48 months left and can't wait. No car payments was the beginning I'll never pay on another one. Now all of my money goes to the kids :o

Hey it is a very good idea. I would be interested if my mother-in-law already has a good amount of chickens for eggs and meat. The fresh farm eggs are the best things in the world if you like eggs. I really miss them now and can't wait till they start laying again once it starts getting warm again.

90% yes on the eggs, need to talk to the SO. Maybe on the chicken and turkey. Also interested if they will be de-feathered, etc. Conditions and feeding, etc.

Interested in the setup you would be talking about also. Sometimes we would buy a dozen in a week, but sometimes every few weeks so I'd rather not be locked in.

Where are you located? Just assuming we'd have to drive there to pick them up. Especially if we are talking 1 chicken and a dozen eggs.

Interested in doing this for veggies also, do you grow anything? We've talked in the past about buying a 'share' of a local farm. I guess they grow whatever they can for that particular season and you buy in for the season and get whatever weekly, or however it works out of whatever is fresh at that time.

I would buy chickens! I hate the Tyson company as much as I hate Monsanto.

+1. Anyone reading this thread with even a little interest should go and see "Food, Inc.". You'll definitely be interested in what Akula is up to.

I would definitely be interested in eggs...

I will shed a little light on the quanities he may be seeing. My mother-in-law has about 20 laying hens of different breads. At peak laying season, she normally collects about 3-4 dozen eggs every morning. And the eggs will last much longer than store purchased ones. My best suggestion is to have everyone you know start saving their egg cartions.

Depending on the bread of chicken he goes with, he could have some meat chickens ready for butcher about 3-4 months after they are born. Some meat chickens will get so big their legs will break and that is when you know they are ready to be butchered.

I'd definitely be interested as long as you don't rip our asses off with your "organic" offerings. Almost all of our beef and deer we store and eat are au natural.

Also, the lab uses a very large amount of eggs. They have to be purchased under certain guidelines. I currently don't recall what those are exactly, but if you do get into this, let me know. May be able to help out with that.