What SUV to get?

supldys

I saw the thread about the explorers being junk, so what would you guys recommend? Nothing too big, its for the wife, and nothing too small (got a kid, a giant dog, and we'll be making long trips so will need luggage room)

Looking for something pretty new, 05+, just need some ideas of whats good and whats bad.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the thread about the explorers being junk, so what would you guys recommend? Nothing too big, its for the wife, and nothing too small (got a kid, a giant dog, and we'll be making long trips so will need luggage room)

Looking for something pretty new, 05+, just need some ideas of whats good and whats bad.

I have a 1996 explorer with 190K. I have had minimal issue with the truck, just regular maintenance. Still drive it every day.

RAV4 is one I would look into. My mom has an 08 (I think). The V6 AWD is a blast. Weighs about 3600lbs and has about 270hp. Very comfortable car, I drove it back from Florida and IIRC got 23-24mpg average over the trip. Rated at 21mpg.

Might not be big enough for what you want?

Looks like they went to this body style and engine option in 06. Brand new right now you can step into a base v6 AWD for about $25k. The 06's are about $15k (per edmunds). Although it sounds like you can't beat what some of the used biger (american truck frame based) SUV's are going for.

Christian (can't remember his CR name) with the MKIII Supra has one and raves on here about it every once in a while too. Maybe he will poop in here.

Uh duh and Escalade......

Thatd be awesome, but a bit out of my price range.

We were looking at the grand cherokees but I was reading about a lot of them having major hesitation issues, I take it you guys havent run into that?

we've been really happy with our Durango. I would at least suggest test driving one to see what you think. It's optioned really well for the price. Pop up 3rd row and the interior is pretty nice in it. My wife has 130k on ours and the only thing I've ever had to do to it was general maintenance and clean the iac valve on it. Runs great and for it's size gets decent gas mileage. We get ~23 on the highway and she averages 18 combined.

EDIT: saw you were looking for something NEWer. I would not buy an 06 explorer as that was the first model year and there were some teething issues... I would buy an 03-05 or 08-10. Well this all depends if you want and SUV to be rugged and to be able to haul something as they were originally designed of if you are looking at a vw beetle, honda accord or toyota camry with a lift kit. If you are just looking to move people you can't go wrong with a honda odyssey minivan.

top 10 suv's id buy in order

1.) Infinity FX45

2.) Infinity Q

3.) Escalade EXT (kinda like a suv)

4.) Denali XL (2005-2006)

5.) 2005 Ford Excursion powerstroke

6.) Range rover

7.) Lexus GX 470/450

8.) Lexus Rx 400h

9.) Chevy Tahoe LTZ

10.) Toyota Sequoia

Fuck SUV's...I love my '05 Caravan! Seriously...

The thing has a 180hp V6 with a ton of torque, gets better fuel economy than any other car I have, holds my stuff+Weimaraner, FWD but has better traction than my sister's XC90 in the snow (true story)...

True, I got it for free, but I needed about $600 in front-end parts but it now rides like new for 120k miles on the odo...

cherokee or trailblazer would be my vote. someone mentioned rav-4---seriously??

in-laws have a rav-4 and there's a class-action lawsuit regarding failing transmissions in those pieces of shit.

a denali would also be up there on the list, but they're big.