What would CR do?

gmann

OK guys, I know there's a bunch of clever people on here. I'm in need of some advice. This is a poorly written novel, nothing witty. Mostly a search for help, there will be cliff notes.

Almost a year ago I bought a house near northland/northern lights area (before you say anything about me moving I cannot move for a minimum of 5 years because of the loan I had to get on the house). It's in township and not the city which is nice, I'm on a street that's fairly dead so it keeps out most of the "riff-raff". The neighborhood was great when I moved in, little to no foot traffic, no dogs barking, hardly any cars would drive by. 2 car detached garage with a half an acre with a full privacy fence.

In the spring we got new neighbors, they moved into a house that backed up to the east side of my back yard. They. are. trash. There are from what I can tell 4 generations that live there ranging in age from late 50's to infant, they had a party a few months ago in the back yard and didn't pick up a damn thing. They also have a BEAUTIFUL bulldog/mastiff mix that they leave chained up in the back yard 24-7 with no shelter and a ~6' lead and let this poor thing yelp all goddamn day. Hope that gives you a nice picture of the type of people they are.

I am clearly a car guy. I have a lot of cars. I store them in my back yard (with the privacy fence). Last night one of the cars had 3 of the 4 wheels stolen, and they left it on a block of wood and the frame rails. The cars are kept behind my garage which is on the east side of my property which is where the scum neighbors moved in. My next door neighbor told me he saw the teenage/20's aged kids peering though the fence one evening and overheard one ask the other wonder what's in them (could be harmless, but you live next to these guys for a few months and you'd get suspicious too).

I'm assuming they hopped the fence on their side with a ladder or chair to get to my side, got wheels off and tossed em over the fence then hopped onto the car and jumped back to their side... it's the only thing that makes sense to me because every other way is more hidden/would make an obvious escape (onto the street).

What would you guys do to prevent this from happening again. Ive thought of carpet tack strips around the perimeters of the cars so when they kneel down to jack up car or take off wheel they get a hand/knee full of tacks (probably rusted by then). I've thought of some sort of tacky shit on the fence that would show hand prints if they hopped. But I'm looking for something great, that's what you guys are for. Tomorrow I'm adding motion activated flood lights on the back of the garage (only part of property that isn't lit up like Tim Allens house for Christmas).

Thanks in advance

CLIFF NOTES:

I buy house in decent neighborhood that is surrounded by shitty neighborhoods

People move in that bring riff raff into neighborhood

car in my back yard (a POS old chevy lumina) had 3 wheels stolen off of it last night and I'm worried they're going to come back for others.

Need to set up something to deter/boobytrap this from happening to other guys and need your help.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

listen to this guy^^^^^

you can't just litter your yard with murderous traps. thats just insane.

Hes right. If you hurt someone trying to save wheels you will end up needing to sell your car and wheels to pay them after they sue you.

listen to this guy^^^^^

you can't just litter your yard with murderous traps. thats just insane.

And MIGHT be illegal. I would say barbed wire or razor wire nailed to the inside of your fence flush with the 2x4 so they cant see it. Good idea BUT if they tried to breakin and got hurt or hospitalized they could sue you for damages... I honestly wouldnt be surprised.

Is there any way that your neighbors ARENT the ones who stole your rims? Just asking.

EDIT: I say setup a cheap motion sensor camera. Lights are a big deterant and should definitly help, hate to say it but the only thing a camera will do is catch someone AFTER they steal your shit AGAIN. But at least you'd have proof its them.

Not everyone can afford to buy the same sq foot house in a rich side of town. Some people including myself like to get a house that they can afford to pay mortgage and still have money left to do whatever. I can loose my job and still do some punk ass little low paying job and still keep my house..

As for getting rims stolen is basically someone had a flat and seen the cars just setting around and needed a couple. Had it down plenty of times sucks but get a motion camera.

I love the country. :)

Not much you can do it seems. File a report and ask the officers to patrol the neighborhood. They may drive through every couple of hours but that won't deter much. Especially if the vehicle isn't in plain view from the street.

Well, the person that I suspected of stealing them has been driving on a donut on his civic for the past few months... Now miraculously the civic has a new wheel and tire. I'm guessing he hocked the wheels for his honda.

I'm going to go scout the used wheel/tire places on cleveland ave near ferris for the wheels...

I've got wheel locks for all the cars now that are OE and not something you can get from the parts store. that are going onto the cars that they will fit. The other ones are getting set on cinder blocks tonight with the wheels stored in the locked down garage.

Flood light with motion sensor is getting purchased tonight, I'm going to try to wire it so that the signal wire from the sensor will trip another motion sensor light that will wake me up.

Yenner, I really wanted a house in the country to avoid shit like this, but couldn't find anything within my budget so I settled for this to build up some equity.

We don't have a HOA, I am township and they are technically city. I found that out when I called the fuzz on them about the dog because animal control was a no show numerous times.

Thanks for the advice guys. IMO it's a load of shit that I can't booby trap my yard with a 6' privacy fence... if they're in my yard they clearly are doing something wrong, who is to say I don't have an aggressive dog back there ready to shred someones ass?

Someone buy the RX-7 and save it before they grab the wheels off of that.

You should be able to put razor wire along the top of the fence legally, although I would suggest putting up signs clearly stating it is there. Every place in the world uses it. Beyond that, don't do any boobie traps - as much of a good feeling it would be to know that you have claymores set up, you would get thrown in jail for it. Set up motion sensors and floodlights as soon as possible. Next step is call animal control to take the dog (or liberate it at night if they won't take care of it) and then call the cops on the neighbors for anything and everything illegal that they do. Also try to figure out if they are renting or bought the house, if renting you can probably get them evicted.

Not everyone can afford to buy the same sq foot house in a rich side of town. Some people including myself like to get a house that they can afford to pay mortgage and still have money left to do whatever. I can loose my job and still do some punk ass little low paying job and still keep my house..

As for getting rims stolen is basically someone had a flat and seen the cars just setting around and needed a couple. Had it down plenty of times sucks but get a motion camera.

I before I had my mortgage paid off, losing my job and paying my $406/month mortgage wouldn't be an issue, and I don't live in the hood