So what's fast?

Cordell

What does everyone consider fast? I mean street car, full interior (not a gutted car), at a drag strip. I've seen Gary's (Pontiacfreak) 3800 Firebird run high 13s, which I think is pretty cool for an older V6 N/A F-body. Anthony's Formula runs low 10s with all the factory stuff intact. What is fast, and why do you consider it fast? I'm talking streetable cars, and of course Mark's Z06 and Ray's Trans Am is fast, but where does the line fall for you?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at it as anything can be called streetable, but how would a MAJORITY of people want to drive the car on the street? I look at a lot of things, but here is what impresses me.

No jungle gym roll cage/no cage at all

No drag radials and skinnies...so street tires that you can drive on the freeway at 70mph in the rain

No cut outs.....people don't drive on the street with them open all the time

Full interior

Regular fuel.....I.E. you can stop at any station and fill up

Just my .02, but cars that meet the above criteria and are sub say 11.99 is pretty damn good. I find it acceptable (but less cool) if you haul 2 rear tires to be put on the the car for your passes at the track, but then switch back to regular tires later.

I look at it as anything can be called streetable, but how would a MAJORITY of people want to drive the car on the street? I look at a lot of things, but here is what impresses me.

No jungle gym roll cage/no cage at all

No drag radials and skinnies...so street tires that you can drive on the freeway at 70mph in the rain

Full interior

Regular fuel.....I.E. you can stop at any station and fill up

Just my .02, but cars that meet the above criteria and are sub say 11.99 is pretty damn good. I find it acceptable (but less cool) if you haul 2 rear tires to be put on the the car for your passes at the track, but then switch back to regular tires later.

i just watched an evo on street tires smack the wall this weekend.. no thanks

The mach1 went low 11's still had everything factory, i even drove it in the winter/snow

that being said it was fast enough to get me arrested(which luckily never happened) but I would say 500whp/10.99 is pretty fast

i just watched an evo on street tires smack the wall this weekend.. no thanks

Part of being impressive in this is having some sort of driving ability obviously. How do you stuff an AWD car into a wall due to street tires. I'm not going to argue about it but use your head.

For me there are different levels of fast kind of being said, but really depends on the car and the setup too. Obviously once you throw boost or nos into the picture your 'fast' should be a good deal faster than a NA setup. But that NA setup could still be labled fast in my book for its class.

What does everyone consider fast? I mean street car, full interior (not a gutted car), at a drag strip. I've seen Gary's (Pontiacfreak) 3800 Firebird run high 13s, which I think is pretty cool for an older V6 N/A F-body. Anthony's Formula runs low 10s with all the factory stuff intact. What is fast, and why do you consider it fast? I'm talking streetable cars, and of course Mark's Z06 and Ray's Trans Am is fast, but where does the line fall for you?

Depends on the level of maturity of who's judging it. For a decent street car I'd say 12's is a good start for a toy. For a daily 13's would be totally acceptable.

Gutted cars, lexan, spools, skinnies are useless if you're on the street, and really just asking for trouble. That stuff was cool ten tears ago to me. Anymore when I see that on the street I think it's dumb. You can drive that stuff on the street, but in reality everybody knows its a track car. If the owner admits it's a track car great, otherwise you're lying to yourself. It's been proven many many times you don't need to gut it to be fast.

Next go-fast car that gets built will be terribly mild (mid 12's) but built to take a ton of spray on top of that.

Preferably EFI, Overdrive, 3.42's, A/C, Pump gas, quiet exhaust, full interior, goes around corners with no drama is the order of the day.

I have always thought, any car that is faster than mine is fast.

When I was running 14's in one of my old mustangs. Any thing running 13's was fast.

But really, I would say anything that runs 11.99 or quicker is consider fast by most!

fast is relative. it will vary from person to person. for me, there is varying levels of fast. youve got quick, which is 12 seconds, fast which is 10-12, then theres fucking fast, which is sub 9.

Agreed. When I was a stupid teenager, I thought my '92 Camaro was fast. Girls thought my stock GTP was fast. The ricer down the street thinks his Celica is fast. But as far as car guys are concerned, jeffro summed it up nicely.

Well, mine is open about 90% of the time :p

For me there are different levels of fast kind of being said, but really depends on the car and the setup too.

Yeah. Many different types of "fast." You can say fast in general, or fast for what it is, the car's specific platform, etc.

I have always thought, any car that is faster than mine is fast.

When I was running 14's in one of my old mustangs. Any thing running 13's was fast.

But really, I would say anything that runs 11.99 or quicker is consider fast by most!

Yeah, what he said ^^^

In high school (late 90's) I thought 11's were fast but now there are to many cars running those times from the factory. For me it's got to be in the 10's/9's AND have all the creature comforts to be a street car. Maybe it's just my age but the gutted cut up cars just don't do it for me.

I'm not talking about cars that have to cool and be setup to run the times once at the track. I'm talking about something you can drive to the track (no cool down) and run 10's on street tires/drag radials, PUMP gas (93, E85, etc.), power steering, A/C, radio/XM, etc...something you would take your wife/GF in on a date but still be fast AND handle.

An all around fast car that handles and gets the daily job done when needed (not required)... :cool: