Buying a house in central ohio

wagner

like scott said, check out the pataskala area. for the most part, its still a very good area, and for the most part, out in the country if you like that. a good friend of mine said they had checked out a few places out here when they were moving out and had found several decent places that needed a little work, but could be had for around 60K.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of good buys in the grove city/southwestern city school area. I have heard both ways if those are worth it.

Do you care what your tax rate is? SW school has RIDICULOUSLY hight taxes.

we live in columbus but have hilliard schools.. but the school system is huge, and still growing..

olentangy, unless you can afford outrageous property taxes.

Blue Ribbon School. Oldandshitty was nice enough for me...but back then there was only one high school.

I know a GREAT mortgage guy when you find your home. ;)

-Marc

I'm about to go into contract on a three bedroom, two bath house with a 2-car garage in Hilliard. It's nice because it's in an established neighborhood, but it's Columbus taxes so they are not a total killer. House was redone completely inside and we got it for a stupid price too.

We also looked in Clintonville, Poor Dublin, Worthington, Bethel Road and UA.

I like Clintonville, but houses can be expensive.

That will be my first neighborhood choice when we buy in a few years, so I really like that area. I don't think Waggoner is a Clintonville person, and there's probably not a single house in that neighborhood that's in the price range he is looking at.

Www.zillow.com

I like Clintonville, but houses can be expensive. Columbus Public Schools here.

Fuck zillow. Last year my house was rated at 132. now it's at 116k. My neighbors across the street who lived there since '78 has property taxes at 2k. Mine last year and the year before was $2700.

I think the neighbor 5 houses up from us who sold their house for like 80k last year and a lot of the surrounding assholes around us who either A: rent, or B: don't give a shit about their house is taking down the value.

But anyways.. take Zillow.com with a grain of salt.

I bought a house in Canal Winchester under Groveport Schools. They received an "A" rating last year just like many of the other school districts. It is improving for sure. I got a STEAL on my house (I'm talking 50k instant equity).

I got a 4 bedroom house, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage, patio, built in 2006, for 100k. This house would have been 150-160k in Hilliard.

Our house has a basement, is 1500sq ft, has 2 car garage, no basement, and its not in the ghetto. We had to do your normal amount of work, painting, spackling and such but nothing major. We paid wayyyyy under $85K.

That is why I am starting to lean towards this area. Our agent just sent us a nice house in galloway that fits our needs but needs a lot of updating inside. Looks like some old people owned the house and have not changed the look since the mid 60's.

It has a pretty good size garage too....

I bought a house in Canal Winchester under Groveport Schools. They received an "A" rating last year just like many of the other school districts. It is improving for sure. I got a STEAL on my house (I'm talking 50k instant equity).

I got a 4 bedroom house, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage, patio, built in 2006, for 100k. This house would have been 150-160k in Hilliard.

So Groverport schools are not to bad then? There are some good values in that area too.

They aren't top notch like Dublin or Olentangy, but they have DEFINITELY turned around in the past few years. They received a very good grade, just one below Hilliard City Schools. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a house around here again. I came from Hilliard, and I love the east side area (Canal & Pickerington & Groveport, stay away from Reynoldsburg).

Depending on your budget, there is an MI development near "Waterloo St" in Canal that has amazing prices and is in a beautiful area.

They aren't top notch like Dublin or Olentangy, but they have DEFINITELY turned around in the past few years. They received a very good grade, just one below Hilliard City Schools. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a house around here again. I came from Hilliard, and I love the east side area (Canal & Pickerington & Groveport, stay away from Reynoldsburg).

Depending on your budget, there is an MI development near "Waterloo St" in Canal that has amazing prices and is in a beautiful area.

Well schools are one thing, but it is also what goes on at home. A great teacher can't educate a kid that has no family support.

Anyway, I might look into that area more then. The value for what we can sepnd is not there in Hilliard or Dublin so they might be out.

Care to share?

im curious also. i graduated from hights back in 06. The only issues that school had then (and im sure it still does), are all the somalians (sp?). For those of you that dont know what i mean, put it this way, back when i started high school there, you would see alot of black/white fights (it was a big redneck school back then). After the somalians came, it was constantly black/white Vs somalians because they were ALWAYS starting shit.

In that price range I'd head out into the country. Check out Johnstown, Sunbury, Ashley, Marengo, etc. unless commute is a concern. Your money will go a lot farther and you can avoid crime, congestion, etc. Lots of other communities close but still country around Columbus...I'm just not familiar with much except north and northeast of town.

In that price range I'd head out into the country. Check out Johnstown, Sunbury, Ashley, Marengo, etc. unless commute is a concern. Your money will go a lot farther and you can avoid crime, congestion, etc. Lots of other communities close but still country around Columbus...I'm just not familiar with much except north and northeast of town.

We thought about that, but the problem is commute. The wife works in Dublin, I work out at Easton so we need to keep it sane. Trust me I would love to move to the country, but I don't think it will be in the cards for us.

We just bought our house in December and we looked for quite a while, we went to over 40 houses. Dublin and Hilliard were way overpriced. We even looked up in Powell, the ghetto part off of like Summit Row, and they were trashy and nasty for such a high price. Oh and I'd stay out of Columbus City Schools!!! We looked all over the west/southwest/northwest sides of Columbus, and decided on Grove City (I also grew up here, so I feel comfortable here). We started looking at houses that were about $130k, went up to about $150 in the Powell/Dublin areas, and bought one in GC well under $120. A great house (big backyard, great neighborhood, can see the park from our front door, 2 car garage, etc) for a great price. And we love it!

Westerville is my first choice. I grew up here, and when we moved back I wanted specifically to come back for the kids. Look around Blendon Township. Westerville schools, w/o their income taxes. Galena and Sunbury were high on the list too. There are a number of houses back in Sunbury Woods for sale right now that are great deals. Mature neighborhood, a few parks, pretty quiet, and younger families moving in, school right in the middle.

Being by Sunbury Rd,161, and 270 (literally my back yard) gives great access to anywhere in Columbus within minutes. And you hear if its a "busy night" or not. Easton is 3 miles away, Dublin is 10ish. I work in Gahanna, and the wife works near Bethel and Sawmill takes us 10-15 minutes to get to work.