Paver driveway in Ohio?

zeitgeist57

I had Golden Bear Blacktop reseal my asphalt driveway for $600 last year, and after one winter it looks like horrendous shit. Been looking at a paver driveway to go along with front walkway and back patio...

Would like to hear from anyone who has a paver driveway or knows someone who did one. My biggest fear is frost heave, or ants tracking underneath causing it to settle...

Just make sure you check out some of the previous work on who ever you go with. I have seen some paver drives that just do not hold up. Im sure foundation prep is the key. 600 is pretty steep for a seal job that did not hold up.

My neighbors have had a pager driveway as long as I have lived here. I know on occasion it needs weeded, and refilled the cracks by sweeping sand in them. There are also light curvatures where the cars drive up and down the driveways, but it still looks very nice.

I had one put in last year, its about 3 cars wide and replaced my front walkway and small corner flower bed. Basically the driveway wraps around to the porch. I've had some issues with it settling, but I park a 35k pound truck on it. It is not hard to fix when it does settle, and I've only had it settle in 2 spots from the truck. I love the way they look.

lol my sisters b/f works for Golden Bear. They hire any one. I'm not surprised they done a shitty job.

Must be Upper Arlington...all the quotes I had were $400-600. Of course, it looked great for a couple of months...

Yes, yes ladies...I didn't start this thread to find out how much I overpaid for a sealing job I could've done myself for less than $100. ;)

The last time I had a shitty asphalt driveway, I tore it up myself and put down 5" of fiber-reinforced concrete. Don't want to do that job again.

I have done a lot of these, either with part pavers and concrete, or just all pavers. It is all in the foundation. Make sure whoever is doing it knows they need to use different sized limestone from large to small (#2's to #9's) in layers. Tamping it out every 2-3 inches for a vibrator and every 4-6 for a stomper. Then you have to make sure they lay it level and with the correct slope. No low spots, no high spots etc.

Its not that hard to do, but it will cost a decent amount of money. I could help you out and direct you to a few good companies.

Parents negihbors just got their drive way done and it looks really nice. Their's is a long driveway (100yards+) and I don't even want to know how much that cost.

They told my parents it didn't cost much more than concrete. But who knows how quality that work would be, and they have a friend who does that type of work so maybe they got a hookup.

If it were me I'd get a quote for concrete (can you do stamped concrete on a driveway?) too, to see the price difference. I've heard you only have to spray some sealant on it every year, sounds like the least maintenance of the 3 options.

I say Lindsay Wright Co. is a great company to deal with. They are the ones that I've seen do the best work form all the home shows I do. They can keep it simple or do it as custom as you want. I've know both owners for almost 3 years now and they can really show you some great past jobs to make sure you know what you are getting into. Also they have an online gallery for you to see if you follow that link.

Clay best advice when picking out a person to do the work for you for this job. Ask to see the past jobs in person for the driveways they have done. Go to ones that are atleast 2 years old and see how they are holding up. More than likely you wont get a warranty from any company for over 2 years of labor. you will get a life time on the product however.

Make sure they dont use sand to sweep inbetween the pavers, you want a polymeric sand. This will harden up and prevent weeds and other things from making there way through. I recommend Unilock pavers. They hold up better than oberfields. I have taken up many of oberfields products and replaced them with unilock.

Here is a company i would recommend. http://www.hiddencreeklandscaping.com

These are a good group of guys that are very professional and do quality work. You can ask for Jason, shoot him my name.