Trampolines...Couple questions...

Bam

Thinking about getting my daughter a trampoline and am finding them for a variety of prices, and debating on new or used.

I've never had one, only had a couple friends growing up that did, so I'm in the dark about all this.

Should I even consider a used one, they don't seem to hold their value very well. I just don't know what to watch out for, or the average lifespan of one.

As far as new ones go, I know of Toys R Us, and Sams Club, possibly Costco and Walmart, but I would like to think of this as a long term investment, something she will be able to enjoy for years, and so I'm willing to pay for quality.

Also, what's a good size? 8ft/10ft/12ft/14ft/15ft? Etc?? She's young now but in 10 years I'd want her to be able to use with friends still but 15ft just sounds huge.

TIA.

Yeah, I'm on the fence. I'd definitely get one w/ the safety net, and just about anything is dangerous now, so where to draw the line? I know I still enjoy jumping on a trampoline, and the far and few places that do have them my daughter loves them too...

People are pussies...we had a 14' growing up and i dont recall any serious if any injuries...no one fell off...4 of us kids and all our friends..the biggest "problem" is the thing catching wind in storms then you have to go get it from 4 houses down...unless you have a fence, i guess

trampolines, atv's, monkey bars, and now a lot of playgrounds have zip-lines------love 'em. they keep me in business. if you absolutely MUST get one---check with homeowners insurance first. then buy a NEW one with the enclosed cage, and only let one person at a time bounce on it. part of the problem is getting 'power bounced' off the trampoline (happens when two people are using it and one lands just as the other takes off and the trampoline is 'rebounding', causing the person landing to get catapulted much higher, and frequently off the trampoline), resulting in a broken forearm most commonly

i bought a 14ft one off craigslist for 50 bucks for my 3 year old, he loves the thing and so do my dogs. i think the only reason people get hurt on them is because they try to do stunts and stupid things like jumping off a house onto one. i think they are completely safe and people need to stop pussifiying the country.

My cousin and I had one when when we were kids. He can still do all his stunts and flips and shit. Neither of us ever got hurt, probably because our aunt lectured us over and over again how dangerous they were and we were careful (as careful as you can be while doing flips on a trampoline...) A little scare tactic goes a long way in terms of making sure kids are safe on the tramp, especially if you get them young while they're still impressionable. The most serious injury I ever got was a headache playing popcorn from getting my head jarred around so much.

trampolines, atv's, monkey bars, and now a lot of playgrounds have zip-lines------love 'em. they keep me in business. if you absolutely MUST get one---check with homeowners insurance first. then buy a NEW one with the enclosed cage, and only let one person at a time bounce on it. part of the problem is getting 'power bounced' off the trampoline (happens when two people are using it and one lands just as the other takes off and the trampoline is 'rebounding', causing the person landing to get catapulted much higher, and frequently off the trampoline), resulting in a broken forearm most commonly

Exactly what Kirk has said.

Also, I recall a study - IIRC - in which it was determined that the protective netting wasn't really that protective in preventing trampoline injuries, insofar as the majority of the injuries were caused by impact to the trampoline surface itself (versus someone falling off on the ground). As Kirk said, and what I think the study also said, is that the problem is when you have more than one person on the trampoline - not only does the rebound effect cause the person to get launched much higher, but it also results in weird effects upon landing where there isn't the "give" in the trampoline because someone is standing on it - which then results in the injury occurring.

I insisted that my son's mother remove the trampoline she bought our son from her home. I don't care how much "fun" he said it was (or how "harmless" she contended it is) - the studies suggest trampolines are broken necks waiting to happen.

Just my $0.02.

Ugh....Decisions, Decisions....I know I want one personally, and have always wanted one, but at the same time my daughter did recently injure her knee just on the playground and we ended up at children's for an xray/mri/orthapedic surgeon...FML that wasn't cheap.

Thanks for all the info, pretty much what I assumed.

Any other ideas for sweet birthday gifts for a 6 year old?

Buy her a car

Like a power wheels? Yeah she wants one and I've thought about it, but from what I read online they are really only intended for kids up to like 7, so i think i missed the boat by not getting her one a couple years ago. She did have like a powerwheels ATV thing, but she wants a barbie jeep or something.

i bought a 14ft one off craigslist for 50 bucks for my 3 year old, he loves the thing and so do my dogs. i think the only reason people get hurt on them is because they try to do stunts and stupid things like jumping off a house onto one. i think they are completely safe and people need to stop pussifiying the country.

This, we used to fight on them and throw people off, I'm sure I sprained things many times on them and we got the wind knocked out of us lots of times. All good memories:-)

Like a power wheels? Yeah she wants one and I've thought about it, but from what I read online they are really only intended for kids up to like 7, so i think i missed the boat by not getting her one a couple years ago. She did have like a powerwheels ATV thing, but she wants a barbie jeep or something.

i'm not saying NOT to get the trampoline, but buyer beware. broken forearms are very easy to fix. i can still remember growing up jumping on a neighbor's trampoline. we used to jump 2-3 people at the same time and purposely try to do powerjumps. hell, my neighbor would make us jump on the trampoline and kick his pellet gun out of his hand---kids don't think through the consequences of their actions like (most) adults do.

my twin girls have a barbie jeep, and a princess fj cruiser. 12volts, with two forward speeds and reverse. best part is that you can modify these things, and they even have a forum dedicated to this. my girls love them, and my son is getting into it too. much safer than a trampoline imo.

these aren't my kids, but here's a 24 volt modded power wheels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W-VVBkP_Qc&feature=related

does she have a decent bike? Do you?

If not get some and go for rides together?

Yeah, we've both got good bikes, as well as one that attaches on back of mine that she can pedal along for longer rides. We ride quite often, just looking for some new toys/things to do as well.

put it in-ground, that would be legit

The summer camp I went to growing up had this, it was pretty sweet but I don't think I want to tear up my yard for it. LOL.

A friend had one growing up. We use to get on it with our snowboards, wrapped the edges with duct tape, an spend hours working on our grabs and landing spins. They are a top of fun. Just too much liability these days for people to own an accedent. It's everyone else's fault for not thinking for them.