Non commercial insurance for you gear

mrs.cos

I make almost no money from my shooting, but I wanted all my gear insured in case anything happened. I'm basically posting this for informational purposes of other hobbyist, I'm sure tractor and Tim both have commercial policies.

Anyhoo...

You can add a floater to your homeowners policy to cover your gear.

For me to cover ~3500 worth of gear was only 40 for the year with no deductible.

I have to be honest, going on vacation and raking my gear on a boat while parasailing was much less stressful knowing that I was covered.

I actually have a separate policy altogether as do shoot events and can't afford to have anyone trip over a light cord or umbrella or what not. I've even had people bump into me and fall down at events. So covering $20k in gear is important, the $200k policy covering a life is even more so.

Good information for sure. The average consumer may only have a small consumer DSLR and say $2,500 in gear, but that's still a chunk of change. Add in 1-2 pro grade lenses and that number could go upwards of $8,000 real quick.

I've heard some agencies will stop you if you try to put on enough gear as a rider on your home owners policy. Not had that problem myself though.

Also FYI some wedding reception venues require the photog to prove $1-2million in liability coverage to work there events.

Then there's indemnity coverage thru the PPI (professional photographers international) Its a little under $400 per year for wedding photogs and have some seemingly good benefits. Hopefully never have to use some of them though.