what do you want to do when you grow up?

AWW$HEEET

This is how I keep talking myself out of going to school. I'm afraid to spend thousands of dollars for "nothing" and I have a hard time focusing on things unless they interest me.

:fa: Forever uneducated.

ill be the one to tell you degrees are worthless nowadays.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ill be the one to tell you degrees are worthless nowadays.

nawwww. I'm going back for my MAFM spring 2012. I'm going to take a break for a bit. Besides, I have 75-80 work weeks coming from November to January.

yes.

advanced degrees are different, but yes bachelors is worthless.

Do you enjoy being wrong? There are so many jobs out there where you can't even get in the door without a bachelors degree. Just because you think it is worthless, does not make it so.

Do you enjoy being wrong? There are so many jobs out there where you can't even get in the door without a bachelors degree. Just because you think it is worthless, does not make it so.

Depends what you are getting into. If you are getting a degree to get a degree, stop.

Depends what you are getting into. If you are getting a degree to get a degree, stop.

Yes, it depends on what you are getting into. You're advising people to forgo getting a degree without any background knowledge. Sometimes you need a degree, just to have a degree. That's just becoming part of life now. A degree will open up a ton of opportunities.

The only reason I don't have my degree yet is that I thought like you. Guess what, I hit the ceiling really quickly.

Yes, it depends on what you are getting into. You're advising people to forgo getting a degree without any background knowledge. Sometimes you need a degree, just to have a degree. That's just becoming part of life now. A degree will open up a ton of opportunities.

The only reason I don't have my degree yet is that I thought like you. Guess what, I hit the ceiling really quickly.

im torn. i had a great time at otterbein but the tuition was nutso, the education was great, the times were a blast, but im using none of it.

im torn. i had a great time at otterbein but the tuition was nutso, the education was great, the times were a blast, but im using none of it.

I was going to say you probably learned some modicum of time management skill, but judging by the number of posts I see you make on CR thats probably not true.

I guess I'm the odd one out.

Always knew as a kid that spent 90% of his days on a computer that I would end up at a desk doing something behind a computer. I work in IT now as so many do, but I still greatly enjoy it. I feel it's easy to excel at something that just comes easily. Rather than be resistant to change, you flow with it as new learning opportunities present themselves. It's easy to stay late, come in early, and be that guy that gives "110%" when you don't regret every moment spent at work.

PS: I just turned 30, so who knows what lies ahead, but I really don't see myself doing anything else in the years to come.

I just grad this Sunday and all I can think is ok, got the hard part down, now I have too many avenues and Idk which to choose. Stick it with chase for a while, try to find a pe job , or throw myself into my sport. Growing up sucks

I just grad this Sunday and all I can think is ok, got the hard part down, now I have too many avenues and Idk which to choose. Stick it with chase for a while, try to find a pe job , or throw myself into my sport. Growing up sucks

it gets worse. its like a pre-midlife crisis. idk if its because i am actually bored, or the overwhelming thought that i am free now, after having a regimented schedule from since when I was 5 through age 23.

i cant figure it out.

I was hoping to read something like this after you posted the first part about it being worthless. I wouldn't have my current job without my degree, but it's specific to my job so it's different. I'd still recommend getting a degree, because it does open doors for you. People just can't seem to find the doors that were opened most of the time.

My future will be as a real estate investor, especially in the coming years now that the traders who thought they were investors have lost everything and prices will be low for a while. Other than that I would like women to pay me to give them pleasure.

I have done what i wanted to do since graduating from personal training school.I worked my way to district manager of personal training sales in 2 years of graduating.

Currently i am not doing what i wanted to do based on where i am. However, i was just given the go to start a corporate boot camp class for hunington bank and columbus hospitality.

anyone 25 or older still struggle with this question? do you feel dumb saying it out loud? i do.

:fuuuu:

I'm comfortable where I am, and am very good at my job. But, like you, I don't know if this is what I want to do for the rest of my life or even if the industry will be able to support my desired lifestyle (fucking mortgages).

I turn 26 in August and really don't know what I want to do. I love the banking industry, I love sales, and I love golf. Seem's like I will be a banker to some degree, I just don't know what.

Growing up sucks. :)

-Marc

My take on college....That 4-5 years you spend at a university building your social skills is wasted time on so many peoples careers. 90% of the people I know that graduated are not even doing what they went to school for. If you go to a good school with job placement or accelerated degrees then perfect. The problem is most people dont and sit on their ass while in school instead of working. Another quick point... Taking advanced volleyball at a major school just so you you can graduate is b.s. Schools need to focus more on what you want to do with your life and make it less like an extended high school. People seem to think that degree is a magic piece of paper and its not. If you dont work hard its not worth shit. Like Hal said, it raises the ceiling. You still have to work your way up from the ground in most cases though.

I'm not doing what I want but Im 32 and set to retire in 15 years. My family is taken care of and I can talk myself out of buying a vette every 6 months... feels ok man. Hopefully in a few years it'll feel good.

My take on college....That 4-5 years you spend at a university building your social skills is wasted time on so many peoples careers. 90% of the people I know that graduated are not even doing what they went to school for. If you go to a good school with job placement or accelerated degrees then perfect. The problem is most people dont and sit on their ass while in school instead of working. Another quick point... Taking advanced volleyball at a major school just so you you can graduate is b.s. Schools need to focus more on what you want to do with your life and make it less like an extended high school. People seem to think that degree is a magic piece of paper and its not. If you dont work hard its not worth shit. Like Hal said, it raises the ceiling. You still have to work your way up from the ground in most cases though.

I'm not doing what I want but Im 32 and set to retire in 15 years. My family is taken care of and I can talk myself out of buying a vette every 6 months... feels ok man

http://www.marriedtothesea.com/021008/my-degree.gif