No Power Turns

Nitrousbird

Unfortunately, most people here do not understand the importance of this to a certain group of enthusiasts. I'm willing to bet that even more don't care.

Well, the morons at the "bigger" lakes like Alum, Buckeye, etc sure as shit don't care. But the smaller ones where everyone is there to board, ski, surf, skate, or kneeboard should care.

There were a couple real fucktards at O'Shaughnessy this weekend. One idiot in a sterndrive thought it would be great to drive right behind us while I was wakeboarding. We were fairly close to shore and they could have easily went around us. Literally driving in our wake.

Another guy in a direct drive Mastercraft checked on us when we were filling the balast tanks (figured out what we were doing when he pulled up), but it couldn't have been 10 minutes later he did a power turn like 25' from our boat when I was picking up a rider in the water.

At the ramp, some white trash in their minivan pulling a Bayliner pulled out of the far ramp about 20', then parked to "clean" their boat (by clean, taking 5 mintutes to strap it down somehow, and have his white trash wife walk around like an idiot). It didn't slow me down, as I would have said something, but it did for people behind me.

Saw a bunch of other power turners as well.

My skis are in a constant state of power turn when I'm out on the lake...:fuckyeah:

Good thing they don't allow lake lice where I boat 95% of the time.

+1 on no power turns.

Can we also add have a heart for people that are new to boating. If you see them struggling how about offering to help rather then cuss at them.

I am fairly new to boating and refuse to go to any of the larger lakes yet cause I have not mastered the 2 minute speed drill of loading and unloading. To be honest I would be happy if there was a dedicated "newbie" ramp.

+1 on no power turns.

Can we also add have a heart for people that are new to boating. If you see them struggling how about offering to help rather then cuss at them.

I am fairly new to boating and refuse to go to any of the larger lakes yet cause I have not mastered the 2 minute speed drill of loading and unloading. To be honest I would be happy if there was a dedicated "newbie" ramp.

I help folks all the time at the ramp, as I am very efficient at getting the boat on/off the trailer. Most of the time people need help is just how to pull the boat on the trailer or how much they need to back it up into the water. But there is a difference between helping a newbie and someone being an asshole at the ramp.

The bigger problem is inconsiderate assholes at the ramp. To name a few things:

- Parking in front of the ramp to clean/tie down your boat as mentioned above

- Instead of dropping off the driver and backing away, just docking the boat in the way so others can't use the ramp spot.

- On double-width ramps, going in the middle so others can't use the other side

- Crossing right in front of someone driving up to their trailer, so they have to wait for your dumb ass to pass.

The last three I see more frequently than I shoud, and see EVERY FREAKING TIME I GO TO Alum or Buckeye (luckily I only go to Buckeye for Blast, and Alum only every once in a while on a weekday evening). The worst boaters, by far, go to those two places.

Most people don't get pissed at newbies that are trying - they get pissed at inconsiderate assholes at the ramp, and there are a LOT of them.

I help folks all the time at the ramp, as I am very efficient at getting the boat on/off the trailer. Most of the time people need help is just how to pull the boat on the trailer or how much they need to back it up into the water. But there is a difference between helping a newbie and someone being an asshole at the ramp.

The bigger problem is inconsiderate assholes at the ramp. To name a few things:

- Parking in front of the ramp to clean/tie down your boat as mentioned above

- Instead of dropping off the driver and backing away, just docking the boat in the way so others can't use the ramp spot.

- On double-width ramps, going in the middle so others can't use the other side

- Crossing right in front of someone driving up to their trailer, so they have to wait for your dumb ass to pass.

The last three I see more frequently than I shoud, and see EVERY FREAKING TIME I GO TO Alum or Buckeye (luckily I only go to Buckeye for Blast, and Alum only every once in a while on a weekday evening). The worst boaters, by far, go to those two places.

Most people don't get pissed at newbies that are trying - they get pissed at inconsiderate assholes at the ramp, and there are a LOT of them.

Truth.

I was out at Dillon over weekend. (which is deeper then I thought it was in main lake)

Watched exactly what you are talking about happen twice in the time I was loading my boat. Which was maybe 5 minutes.

When I was a kid I've seen some of those two minute drills go bad..

dad almost lost his beloved 85 monte carlo to the boat on the dock.. We told him it was a bad idea. Take the extra minute if its going to be safer.

also as a rider when your operator does a power turn and your on a tube. Sometimes they go to tight and its fucking painful..... tube flys away from you at a frightening rate.

+1 on no power turns.

i felt the same way when i first started but practive makes perfect. i can back up my trailer launch an tie to the docks(away fromm where i launched) and pulled the truck out with in two minuites all while doing this by my self. :D just something you will learn to do quickly an safely. you will have no problem.

happy boating bud.

edit: oh and powerturns ftl especially on my old boat good lord that sucked getting hit from every direction from wakes

Well, the morons at the "bigger" lakes like Alum, Buckeye, etc sure as shit don't care. But the smaller ones where everyone is there to board, ski, surf, skate, or kneeboard should care.

There were a couple real fucktards at O'Shaughnessy this weekend. One idiot in a sterndrive thought it would be great to drive right behind us while I was wakeboarding. We were fairly close to shore and they could have easily went around us. Literally driving in our wake.

Another guy in a direct drive Mastercraft checked on us when we were filling the balast tanks (figured out what we were doing when he pulled up), but it couldn't have been 10 minutes later he did a power turn like 25' from our boat when I was picking up a rider in the water.

At the ramp, some white trash in their minivan pulling a Bayliner pulled out of the far ramp about 20', then parked to "clean" their boat (by clean, taking 5 mintutes to strap it down somehow, and have his white trash wife walk around like an idiot). It didn't slow me down, as I would have said something, but it did for people behind me.

Saw a bunch of other power turners as well.

Good thing they don't allow lake lice where I boat 95% of the time.

Went to O'Shaughnessy yesterday and it was great except for some dumb ass DD Mastercraft. It was a tiny ass prostar or something and the retards were "surfing" behind it. It was powerturn after powerturn. I was seconds from saying something to them since they were coming 20' from my boat but I bit my tongue.

Went to O'Shaughnessy yesterday and it was great except for some dumb ass DD Mastercraft. It was a tiny ass prostar or something and the retards were "surfing" behind it. It was powerturn after powerturn. I was seconds from saying something to them since they were coming 20' from my boat but I bit my tongue.

Probably the same asshole. Was it red and off-white?

It wasn't me. It was a little as prostar ski boat that these guys were trying to surf on with a 10' long ocean board.

LOL, the guys were wakeboarding when I saw them - one dude was pretty good.

I was out at Alum from 12:30 - 4:30 today - nice chunk of idiots there, including the moron in the Pontoon boat who about ran us over while I had a boarder in the water.

• 1 month later...

I've always looked at it like... if your boats wake cant overpower oncoming waves then move to a different spot.

I immediately turn around for my riders safety, because most of the time its idiots on the water only paying attention to other boats and not people in the water.

I think it's funny all of you idiots complain about waves, yet when you tow a wakeboarder and your tanks are full and your boat throughs off a HUGE ASS WAKE.

How do you think I feel when I want to go 70+ on my ski?

#1: Your ski isn't allowed at anywhere local that is decent to wakeboard, so it isn't even an issue for you.

#2: Powerturns cause a far bigger wake issue (look at the link, it explains it) over a weighted boat.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/142/130/deal_with_it_pizza.gif?1309464568

You don't even boat.

I've always looked at it like... if your boats wake cant overpower oncoming waves then move to a different spot.

I immediately turn around for my riders safety, because most of the time its idiots on the water only paying attention to other boats and not people in the water.

Did you read the link? Powerturns don't get you back to your rider much (if any) faster. Further, it's not about overpower another's wake, it is about causing chop on the water. Other than tubing, all other towable watersports (wakesurfing, skiing, kneeboarding, wakeboarding, wake skating, air-chair, etc.) need calm water to do it appropriately.

I think it's funny all of you idiots complain about waves, yet when you tow a wakeboarder and your tanks are full and your boat throughs off a HUGE ASS WAKE.

How do you think I feel when I want to go 70+ on my ski?

This is exactly why I wakeboard at one place and take my ski to another. I don't fuck with others so they wont fuck with me.

On a side note though, a wakeboat that is driven properly with big wake can keep waters calm as the wake will die at the shore. Power turns however, will cause the wake to bounce off of shore and opposing wake only to create a pool of waves. This fucks water up quickly which is why power turns are less than desirable to most.