Best Computer for Photoediting?

Berto

So I've been toying with Photoshop Elements and damn this thing is slow. Not sure if its the laptop or not. I have a Sony Viao with dual core an 4gb ram or maybe its just the program?

Been eyeballing a new laptop to have dedicated to digital photography and keep all the crap programs off it. What is a good laptop these days? Looks like its between an i5 or i7 processor (is the i7 really worth it?) is 6gb ram good enough or should I be looking at 8?

Funny you ask, I just got a new pc for this very reason, Lightroom was really slow on my old dual core. I bought a new i7 2.8 gig 4 core hyper threaded to 8 cores 8 gig ram, 1 tb hd, and ati 6750 with 1gig onboard ram video card.

I loaded 1200 pics into lightroom to edit and it didn't even blink an eye.

As for CS5 it runs great too.

So I've been toying with Photoshop Elements and damn this thing is slow. Not sure if its the laptop or not. I have a Sony Viao with dual core an 4gb ram or maybe its just the program?

Been eyeballing a new laptop to have dedicated to digital photography and keep all the crap programs off it. What is a good laptop these days? Looks like its between an i5 or i7 processor (is the i7 really worth it?) is 6gb ram good enough or should I be looking at 8?

Either a new i5 or i7 would be great. I went previous gen i7 because of costs and the speed difference in photoshop is minimal as CS5 and filters are more memory intensive than processor intensive. I've yet even come close to maxing out the processing of images. I'll layer 5-10 21mp RAW images together and it hardly blips the throttle to process them.

I'd go 12gb of RAM. Whatever it takes to fill the banks. My system will span the banks of memory so I did 3 sets of 4gb. Cheap. Go with a fast drive too. Some will say solid state, but it's my opinion that they are really best for startup. Nothing in CS5 is really going to call for it.

Go CS5 too if you don't already have it. It will take advantage of all 4 cores. I have a copy if you need it. You're in Indy? Just let me know, I'm over in IN all the time with my rep who lives there. 64 bit mode is key to memory use. I only run 32 bit when I need specific plugins that I don't have or aren't available in 64 bit.

I'm impressed with the power of my set up every day and again it's primarily my photo machine and lately I've been doing some video work. Blows through them. Make sure you get a decent power supply too.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/132298352/original.jpg

Edited by TTQ B4U

What version of Elements?

I know PS5 takes like 4GB alone..

Elements 9

Either a new i5 or i7 would be great. I went previous gen i7 because of costs and the speed difference in photoshop is minimal as CS5 and filters are more memory intensive than processor intensive. I've yet even come close to maxing out the processing of images. I'll layer 5-10 21mp RAW images together and it hardly blips the throttle to process them.

I'd go 12gb of RAM. Whatever it takes to fill the banks. My system will span the banks of memory so I did 3 sets of 4gb. Cheap. Go with a fast drive too. Some will say solid state, but it's my opinion that they are really best for startup. Nothing in CS5 is really going to call for it.

Go CS5 too if you don't already have it. It will take advantage of all 4 cores. I have a copy if you need it. You're in Indy? Just let me know, I'm over in IN all the time with my rep who lives there. 64 bit mode is key to memory use. I only run 32 bit when I need specific plugins that I don't have or aren't available in 64 bit.

I'm impressed with the power of my set up every day and again it's primarily my photo machine and lately I've been doing some video work. Blows through them. Make sure you get a decent power supply too.

I might take you up on that. Yeah I am in Indy (southside). I also recall you posting in a thread with pics of my car saying you'd be willing to do a free shoot with the car. So if you are ever over here with enough time i might take you up on that :) Maybe i'm just getting needy. lol

So I am guessing if I am going to go with 12gb of ram a laptop isn't really an option...

Funny you ask, I just got a new pc for this very reason, Lightroom was really slow on my old dual core. I bought a new i7 2.8 gig 4 core hyper threaded to 8 cores 8 gig ram, 1 tb hd, and ati 6750 with 1gig onboard ram video card.

I loaded 1200 pics into lightroom to edit and it didn't even blink an eye.

As for CS5 it runs great too.

What did you pay, if you don't mind me asking? laptop or desktop?

Elements 9

I might take you up on that. Yeah I am in Indy (southside). I also recall you posting in a thread with pics of my car saying you'd be willing to do a free shoot with the car. So if you are ever over here with enough time i might take you up on that :) Maybe i'm just getting needy. lol

So I am guessing if I am going to go with 12gb of ram a laptop isn't really an option...

Happy to. I usually stay at that brand new Hilton Garden Inn off 65 south of the outerbelt as my rep lives out there.

PC wise, my build cost me about $1,100 or so. Cheap for what it is but likely cheaper and faster today as I built it in Feb.

So much fail. Just checked my computer and its 1.4 ghz 1gb ram. Max I can upgrade this to is 2gb ram total. is it worth it or just buy a new computer?

New Computer. You can spend half of what I did and have a very capable system if costs are a real concern. Again, just make sure you have a decent PSU and spend a bit more to get 12GB RAM.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/132298352/original.jpg

omg i used to have htat case.. and i hated it.. too cramped..

rest of your setup is pretty nice..

Im on a Q6600 with 8GB RAM, and CS5 does pretty well.. I can have up to 5-10 RAWS open, without much of an issue..

I will however be building a Graphics powerhouse next year. This PC was aimed for gaming, (and still is).

Your going to get more for your money with a desktop, I paid 800 built by HP its a desktop, although I know I overpaid by about 150 (vs building myself) it was worth it just to get a nice machine that was up and running.

Here's the computer I just built 2 months ago.

Cooler Master Elite 341

WD Caviar Green 1TB 5400

WD Caviar Blue 320GB 7200

Samsung CD/DVD Burner

Radeon HD 5450 1gb ddr3

antec 500 watt power supply

patriot 8gb

asrock intel h61 micro atx intel Motherboard

intel core i5 3.1ghz (3.4) quad core processor

logisys all n 1 card reader

window 7 pro, ultimate isnt necessary unless your doing some major networking

hp 2509b monitor

and most importantly

spyder3pro

This machine is built to run CS5 Suite only and thats all it does. Its not hooked up to the internet, its nothing but a photo machine.

The computer runs off the small hard drive and stores everything to the 1tb.

In all with monitor and calibration I have less then 900 in it.

my windows experience is 6.7 out of 7.9

omg i used to have htat case.. and i hated it.. too cramped..

rest of your setup is pretty nice..

Im on a Q6600 with 8GB RAM, and CS5 does pretty well.. I can have up to 5-10 RAWS open, without much of an issue..

I will however be building a Graphics powerhouse next year. This PC was aimed for gaming, (and still is).

Really? There are two sizes though, perhaps you had the smaller. The video card and top fan aren't installed in this photo, but there's plenty of room. I may add another 1-2 drives over the next few months for my video work. The unit fits in my Armour in the family room which was key to me.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/132323673/original.jpg

Really? I've never experienced this. What monitors were you using it on? I've only done HP w2xxx monitors. And was it the Pro or the Express?

I had the spider 3 pro. The monitors were as follows.

2408WFP

Inspiron 1520 laptop screen

19" Dell

20" Dell

Also I just printed some photos and the 24" monitor matches the prints. It is possible that I got a defective Spider. I did more research after I had issues and found that many people had issues with the Spider 3 pro and Dell monitors.

I wouldn't edit photos on a laptop. The screens not really made for it and the processing power is always going to be weaker than a desktop.

For photo editing, the ability to calibrate the monitors is key, all else is a waste without it.

I had the spider 3 pro. The monitors were as follows.

2408WFP

Inspiron 1520 laptop screen

19" Dell

20" Dell

Also I just printed some photos and the 24" monitor matches the prints. It is possible that I got a defective Spider. I did more research after I had issues and found that many people had issues with the Spider 3 pro and Dell monitors.

Thats what I was going to say in the previous post, was that possibly you received a defective eye. Seems true really if you haven't experienced any issue with a different calibration tool.

And to add to the above post, that is very true. I may do some rough editing on a laptop, but its only preliminary editing. Viewing angle, changes the look on a laptop constantly. You need to have a fixed monitor, that is calibrated to get the best results.

Thats what I was going to say in the previous post, was that possibly you received a defective eye. Seems true really if you haven't experienced any issue with a different calibration tool.

And to add to the above post, that is very true. I may do some rough editing on a laptop, but its only preliminary editing. Viewing angle, changes the look on a laptop constantly. You need to have a fixed monitor, that is calibrated to get the best results.

I use my laptop with a 24" monitor (although it is struggling to process the raw files). The color on my laptop LCD are no where near correct to print even after calibration. I think that it is because of the glossy "real life" screen.

I use my laptop with a 24" monitor (although it is struggling to process the raw files). The color on my laptop LCD are no where near correct to print even after calibration. I think that it is because of the glossy "real life" screen.

PM or call my cell sometime during the day. I work near the air force base and would be happy to come see your set up and see if I can help.

I guess I wasnt specific, but calibrated or not on a laptop typically wont help. Im sure you already know, but take your laptop and move it up and down, watch the colors and contrast shift as it moves. If you edit the same picture over and over at different angles each one will be different, though to you they all looked the same.

I see what your saying though, I too hook up a 23 or 25 in HP depending on where im at to my laptop thru HDMI, but both 23 and 25 are calibrated so once the transitions goes to the fixed monitor Im fine.

My preliminary edits arent even edits. It consist of deleting OOF, closed eyes, someone in the wrong postion, that sort of thing. Then whats left goes to a clean up folder, where I may better compose or fix studio background, light stand in the picture, crops, horizon angles, you get the idea. Ive said it over and over here, I use PS to clean photos up and crop, not to change my photos. Im a firm believer in getting it right, out of the camera.