Official Football 2011 Thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

Do you honestly believe that Tressell would've started Braxton over Joe the first 3 games of the year? Cmon now, that wouldn't have happened. They appear to have done the right thing by easing him into the starting job, and even then he's not the greatest thing since sliced bread at this point. I agree with LJ, I said before the season started that a 4-5 loss season was easily possible given the lack of expierence, talent and suspensions. I just think we've grown so accustomed to a NFL calibar player leaving and another one stepping right in to fill the void that we are now spoiled haha.

What happens when Braxton loses a game for OSU by making freshman mistakes? Does the chorus then call for his head and the "put Guiton/Graham" guys start coming out of the woodwork? Remember Pryors freshman year when he fumbled against PSU? The media and fans ate him alive, hell the dispatch was calling for Tressells job for putting a true freshman qb in. I don't think you're always going to make everyone happy, but Fickell is doing the best he can with what he has in my opinion.

What happens if OSU lets him go and brings in say Urban. Urban goes say 9-3, Fickell goes to another school and does the same, is that really an improvement? The old saying of you don't know what you got til its gone could very well ring true in this case. If Fickell isn't the man for the job then atleast make it to where he is retained, he is great for the program as both a coach and a recruiter

No, Tressell probably wouldn't have started Braxton, but Tressell was stupid about those things too. Recall here Boeckman over Pryor and Zwick over Smith. I was just as critical of Tressell about those things as I have been of Fickell. Again, not unrealistic, IMO.

I'll go on the record and say I don't mind if Braxton loses a game due to "freshman mistakes." I'd rather us lose with Braxton learning versus lose with Bauserman flailing around like some lame fucking duck.

Yes, I remember Pryor's fumble against Penn State. I was at that game. And I can say with a very clear conscience that I never criticized him for that. He was just trying to do something extra when he didn't need to (and had he not lost the ball he likely would have scored a TD on that play, BTW). I will be just as supportive of Braxton if something similar happens with him.

Also, I completely disagree with you by saying they did the right thing by "easing" Braxton into the job. They didn't ease him into anything. He didn't even play the second game and then got thrown into some weird, stupid QB rotation at Miami down two scores. So, no, that was a fuck up on Fickell's part. Christ, Todd Blackledge did a better job coaching from the TV booth during the Miami game.

No, Fickell is not who I can support at this time for this job. So, is Meyer any better? I don't know. But could he be any worse?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well had OSU been up by more points and not allowed Toledo's offense to look like world beaters Braxton would've played, plus I have heard conflicting stories about him being slightly injured that week and him being in trouble...

They eased Pryor into the starting position, it took a loss at USC for him to play. Had OSU won that game I don't think Pryor starts that entire season. The Smith/Zwick situation was a little different honestly. Neither of them really seperated one from the other til the Texas game that OSU lost. After that it was clear Smith was the better of the 2. You could say the same thing about Krenzel/McMullen in 02, many felt McMullen was the better of the 2 yet Krenzel got the nod and it was a good choice. Its always easy to 2nd guess a coach or team from a far, but I feel they know more then either you and I or any other fan out there since they are with the team behind closed doors.

I was at the PSU game as well lol, 10 rows up in the student section for free!!! By far the coolest game I have ever been to.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/alittlelessordinary/OSU%20vs%20Penn%20St/23.jpg

I was at the PSU game as well lol, 10 rows up in the student section for free!!! By far the coolest game I have ever been to.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/alittlelessordinary/OSU%20vs%20Penn%20St/23.jpg

Your seats were waaaaay better than ours. We were fucking stuck up under C deck with an obstructed view (those old cement columns). However, it was the only night game I have been to at Ohio State, and the atmosphere was absolutely electric. Only better atmosphere I've been in was at the 2006 National Championship game - which was awesome right up until the point after Ginn scored on the opening kickoff *shudder*

I think OSU's defense was better last year, yet Wisky pounded their asses and add in the fact of Russell being a mobile qb for wisky and it could get ugly. I guess well find out a lot in the next few weeks

Wisky was able to pound OSU on the ground because of probably the best OL I've ever watched. Still pisses me off that they got "cute" against TCU and lost. They don't have that this year and I think there will be evidence of that against Nebraska Saturday night. Still think Wisconsin wins pretty comfortably but Crick and Steinkuhler will show that the Badgers' OL is not what it was last season.

Neither of them really seperated one from the other til the Texas game that OSU lost. After that it was clear Smith was the better of the 2.

It was clear the year before when Troy took over in Iowa City and got OSU their only TD of the game. Then he did his best Michael Vick impression against Michigan. Only reason Zwick got any playing time in 2005 other than mop up duty was because of Troy's suspension. I'm a firm believer that if the Smith suspension never happens he puts on an incredible show against Okie St. in the Alamo Bowl and leads OSU to a national title in 2005 and wins the Heisman a year earlier. The defense in 2005 was soooo much better than it was in 2006.

Haha my roomate at the time (1 of my best friends) was a student at the time. He just happened to have a wedding in Florida that he had to attend that day and said "hey you want my Penn St ticket" like he even had to ask!! I agree it was by far the coolest atmosphere I have ever seen. The redout that night was awesome, I have more pics, some include Lebron walking in front of me. That game is 1 of the biggest reasons I want to take my wife to the Wisky game, she's never been to a night game, there is absolutely nothing like them. Just imagine if the B10 would allow OSU vs Michigan to be a night game. They have some dumbass rule about night games not being allowed after a certain date in outdoor stadiums.

Bicranium I have to agree, I totally forgot that Smith was suspended in 04. I remember the Shot Ginn lighting OK St's asses up. The 05 defense was pretty damn good, although 06 wasn't a slouch either. I don't think OSU would've beat either 05 USC or 05 Texas (we lost to Texas), but they were pretty decent.

We lost to Texas by 3 with basically our starting QB coming off a 2-game suspension rotating with our backup. Troy gets warmed up the first game of the season and plays the whole game against Texas... no doubt in my mind OSU wins. Then Troy would have been able to run and pass all over USC just like Vince Young did. By the end of that season OSU's offense was playing at a ridiculous level. There was a ton of talent lost between 2005 and 2006. 5 1st round draft picks if I'm remembering correctly. I'd be more worried about reversing the PSU result that season than beating Texas in the 2nd game with a warmed up Troy or USC at the end of the season.

Ashley and I are contemplating going to the Wisconsin game this year as well.

And I'm with you guys - I would have put our 2005 (2006, really) Fiesta Bowl team (that annhilated Notre Dame) up against anybody. By that point, we were playing as good as anyone in the nation. Not saying that we would have beaten Texas or USC in that Rose Bowl (as both those teams played great), but it's game I would have liked to have seen for sure.

Yeah as good as OSU was playing by the end of the year, USC and Texas were playing just as good if not better. The 05 USC and Texas teams were loaded with NFL talent as well.

I am dumb and passed on a chance to buy 2 tickets to the wisky game for 150 bucks (for set). Now looking at em they are going for around 400 a set

Ashley and I are contemplating going to the Wisconsin game this year as well.

And I'm with you guys - I would have put our 2005 (2006, really) Fiesta Bowl team (that annhilated Notre Dame) up against anybody. By that point, we were playing as good as anyone in the nation. Not saying that we would have beaten Texas or USC in that Rose Bowl (as both those teams played great), but it's game I would have liked to have seen for sure.

i think what is hard to judge about that team though is that their bowl game was an overrated ND team and then OSU had also lost (one close, one not so close) to the 2 best teams they played that year. While I agree that it was probably Tressel's 2nd best team, we have to remember that Penn State was able to do the same thing to Troy Smith that Florida did the following year. It's hard to imagine that 2005 USC being any different.

I've decided to rank the Tressel OSU teams

1. 2002

2. 2005

3(t) 2006

3(t) 2010

5. 2007

6. 2003*

7. 2009*

8. 2008

9. 2004

10. 2001

Note- I think that the 2009 team may have been much more balanced, the 2003 team was nothing more than a defense and a smart QB, but the 2003 defense was one of Tressel's best

i think what is hard to judge about that team though is that their bowl game was an overrated ND team and then OSU had also lost (one close, one not so close) to the 2 best teams they played that year. While I agree that it was probably Tressel's 2nd best team, we have to remember that Penn State was able to do the same thing to Troy Smith that Florida did the following year. It's hard to imagine that 2005 USC being any different.

Okay, granted, ND was probably overrated, so smoking wasn't that great of an accomplishment. However, what loss that year wasn't close? I know the Texas game was, and wasn't the score of Penn State game something like 17 - 10?

Okay, granted, ND was probably overrated, so smoking wasn't that great of an accomplishment. However, what loss that year wasn't close? I know the Texas game was, and wasn't the score of Penn State game something like 17 - 10?

The score was close, but the game was not. PSU's defense absolutely SMOKED OSU's offense. They created turnovers and got Troy Smith on the ground a lot.

Okay. I didn't watch much of that game.

The first half was close, but the 2nd half PSU absolutely dominated. Sacks, tight ass coverage. Tamba Hali sacked Smith with ~1 minute to go and caused a fumble to seal the game. They honestly got to Smith as much as Florida did.

The first half was close, but the 2nd half PSU absolutely dominated. Sacks, tight ass coverage. Tamba Hali sacked Smith with ~1 minute to go and caused a fumble to seal the game. They honestly got to Smith as much as Florida did.

Penn State went to a BCS game that year, didn't they? I'm trying to remember if they did and who they played (and how they did).

Why?

I don't know that I can explain it rationally by quoting stats or anything of the like except what Josh pointed out. While he certainly wins games, the off field shenanigans ar certainly a factor. For me, it just comes down to the fact that I just font like the guy. Maybe it's the way he carries himself, I'm not sure, but I do know I personally do not want him at OSU.

I don't know that I can explain it rationally by quoting stats or anything of the like except what Josh pointed out. While he certainly wins games, the off field shenanigans ar certainly a factor. For me, it just comes down to the fact that I just font like the guy. Maybe it's the way he carries himself, I'm not sure, but I do know I personally do not want him at OSU.

Fair enough.

I think it will be a relatively high scoring game. Neither defense is very good. Wisconsin can run and pass, Nebraska can only run. Wisconsin wins. Wisconsin opened as a TD favorite and it's already been pushed up to 9.5 or so. Sounds about right. Something like 41-30. Of course when everyone expects a big-time offensive game you end up with like 16-7.