Mounting a tire - more than 10 years old

Fubar231

"Good Oil" says you can do that.

You are following Manufactures Recommendations.

:)

KillJoy

Nope, I believe my oil is worn out at 5,000 miles. I don't believe every single 6 or 10 year old tire is bad.

PS, love the news article showing re-treads that came off as "old" new tires that exploded.

Nope, I believe my oil is worn out at 5,000 miles. I don't believe every single 6 or 10 year old tire is bad.

PS, love the news article showing re-treads that came off as "old" new tires that exploded.

I noticed that too. Scare tactics at its best.

In summary, I love you, CR. But, it's a love-hate relationship, and I secretly want you all to buy tires that are 6 years, 1 day old and die in a fiery glorious explosion head-first into an I-270 overpass pillar tomorrow.

OP - wish I still had my machines, I would hook you up for free tonight. Good luck.

Edited by nurkvinny

Yea just re-watched it and caught that, definitely misleading. However the bulk of the report seemed to be unbiased / on targert and that Dan Zolenski guy got owned pretty hard lol.

Also we watched that in Automotive 061 and had an indepth discussion of the matter, that said my professor was a flaming liberal.

6 years, huh? There is no magic age on a tire going bad. Tires should be inspected for condition, not for a stamp on the sidewall. Sorry guys, all of you that have been conditioned to what these pretty chain tire stores and dealerships are selling, are paying too much and being fed a lot of BS. Just a true story.

At the risk of sounding old and grumpy and the know-it-all, I sold thousands and thousands of new and used tires for 10 years. The age of the tire was never the cause of a single issue at the shop. To have a silly policy that they can't reseal a rim that is 10 years and 1 day old is simply in place to sell you a new tire. Right or wrong, that is what I will always believe. I will also never believe that a $50 tire repair is warranted. Ever.

Back to Top Gear.

I never said there was a magic age for a tire going bad. Typically if the vehicle is 5 years old, the tires have already been replaced.. Or they are cupped, split, or dry rotted. I look at tires every day, and Im personally saying I would not touch a tire that is old.

And this is not only company policy. It's common sense from any mechanic.

So the original tires on my 1967 mustang are no good even thought they have less than a thousand miles on them?

I wouldnt be getting rid of them or be driving on them too far(on and off the car trailer). Tires on my mustang are over 15 years old with a couple thousand miles in them.

• 2 weeks later...
No one said that every tire that is 6 or 10 or whatever years old is bad and going to explode. I work at a tire shop and our policy is, 10 years old, we cant service it, it is a safety policy, and yes I have seen a 6 month old tire that looks 20, and a few 15 year old or more that look brand new. That being said its a law of averages there is a much greater chance that a 10+ year old tire will fail spectacularly than a 2 year old tire. I personally agree with not servicing old tires, if for no other reason than its not worth my fingers or arm or worse, to air up your old dangerous tire. Is someone else values their limbs less than me than by all means have at it. I think its ridiculous that you would get mad at a company for trying to keep their employees safe, and honestly keep you safe.

These weren't the wheels you got from me, were they? If I remember right, the rear tires were basically brand new and the fronts weren't all that old

Fronts are still the same, the rears are not. Got a nail in both rears within a day of eachother.