Official 2012 Football thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

So what do you do with Cardale Jones? Are you telling me he is going to split snaps with Braxton Miller? There will have to be redshirting in order to seperate classes, its jus the nature of the beast I wish he would've worded it "we will play the best regardless of class"

Justin if Diggs goes to Florida then that means OSU will have went ofer with he and Neal. Oh well, another schollie available or the 2013 class which is absolutely loaded

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole "we won't redshirt" thing was said together with "we're not recruiting kids to redshirt, if I recruit you it's because I think you can contribute and help the team the second you step on campus." It was a sales pitch to recruits but it was also the truth. He's not going to be recruiting a lot of the kids Tressel got. Will it be a good or bad thing in the end? Who knows. Some of those guys really, really panned out (the infamous line "AJ Hawk was a 3-star recruit!"), some wasted space and took up a spot for 5 years. But the same goes for the 5-stars. It's a crap shoot really.

Kids will still redshirt.

Oh and Jamaal Berry is officially gone. Got his release today. So I believe that puts OSU publicly at 83, Diggs would be 84 so there are still at least 2 more kids gone that we don't know about.

Josh - having freshman rotate in and out of special teams wouldn't be a "waste" of a year, especially if they are good enough to contribute. Our special teams have been special needs teams for about the past 2 years. Using eligibility to shore that shit up is eligibility well utilized, IMO.

They used that philosophy more last year with Tressel gone. Guys like Cash, Gambrell and both Grants all saw a lot of time on special teams instead of it being half walk-ons. Love guys like Nate Ebner on special teams but you can't put 4-5 of them out there and expect there not to be an issue like OSU had the previous season against a team like Miami.

They used that philosophy more last year with Tressel gone. Guys like Cash, Gambrell and both Grants all saw a lot of time on special teams instead of it being half walk-ons. Love guys like Nate Ebner on special teams but you can't put 4-5 of them out there and expect there not to be an issue like OSU had the previous season against a team like Miami.

Especially since ST is Meyer's specailty, he is gonna put who he wants out there.

Special teams has definitley not been very special the last couple years, so its whatever. I just never liked the idea of burning a kids redshirt unless it was absolutely needed or he was too damn good to keep off the field. Then again todays college player is all about making it to the NFL and getting paid so if you redshirt them and they have 2 monster seasons after that they are gone anyways.

Wonder where Berry will end up at, its really sad how he turned out. I had such high expectations ou of that kid, his highlight tape had me so damn excited. Just another 5 star recruit that didn't really pan out, like Zack said some 5 stars never amount to shit, cough Connor Smith, cough Jamario O'Neal cough

So on the local news, they just said that there is a question as to whether Urban broke any recruiting rules? And that Dantonio said what he did is "pretty unethical"?

Not actual rules, a supposed "Gentleman's agreement" on talking to verbal commits

Apparently Bielema(d) is going to meet with Delany over Meyer's tactics and talk about how he doesn't want the B1G to be like the SEC when it comes to recruiting. Basically, Bielema(d) is pissed he lost about half of his staff and his best recruit and Wisconsin is about to return to absolute mediocrity (if it can even sustain that).

Michigan fans are jumping all over it though. One called into 97.1 today and went on a nice little rant about how 1) he has no problem with Urban Meyer and 2) THIS NEEDS TO BE LOOKED INTO BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY THERE IS SOME IMPROPRIETY GOING ON HERE AND IT'S AMAZING THAT URBAN STARTED CHEATING SO SOON AFTER OSU JUST GOT PUT ON PROBATION.

The guy was great. Starts off acting like he's not mad as fuck then proceeds to display his being mad as fuck.

Nevermind the fact that Hoke (their lord and savior after this past season) said Urban did nothing wrong and he used some of the same tactics to lure Kalis to Michigan.

Urban Meyer's thoughts about the whining

You're pissed because we went after a committed guy? Guess what, we got 9 guys who better go do it again. Do it a little harder next time.

With news the Mark Dantonio & Brett Bielema are both complaining about the recruiting tactics of Urban Meyer, I think it is very apparent there is a lot of fear in the Big Ten. To my knowledge, Meyer didn't violate any NCAA rules, he just broke the so-called 'gentlemen's agreement' of coaches in the past. Yeah, Meyer broke this antiquated notion, but he by no means was the first.

Meyer is only being singled out because of jealousy. He just blew the doors off the Big Ten with a 2-month recruiting tirade that has never been seen in this conference. Now the likes of MSU, Wisconsin, Penn State & Nebraska have to asking themselves if they are capable of competing at that level in recruiting and soon enough on the the field.

With the addition of Meyer and the early success of Brady Hoke at UM, the rest of the Big Ten is having flashbacks.

When the Tressel disaster unfolded, Hoke swept in and took advantage nabbing a former Buckeye commit, Kyle Kalis. Many others from Ohio committed to UM. Hoke even went after OSU commit Brionte Dunn. Did anyone from OSU cry foul? Not that I remember. Instead, they hired the best coach available. Meyer secured Dunn, reclaimed many Ohio recruits that wavered during the uncertainty of sanctions. Basically, he did his job and did it to a level that no one expected.

Be afraid 'little 10', the 'Big 2' are back. Let the second '10 year War' begin....Go Bucks!!!

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My "insider" source is that Davonte' Neal informed Meyer that he would sign. Meyer told him no. The assumption is that he's going all out to get Diggs.

You heard it here!

Your "insider source" being "Cr Football 2012" thread?

My bad for not reading back several pages. I got the word at 9am this morning. Just waited for lunchtime .

Gotta get your priorities straight. Keeping up with and informing those of us in the 2012 CR Football thread is 1-A all day, every day. Work? Family? Friends? Please.

Also, from Barry Alvarez:

"Urban was very aggressive but there is no pact within the conference. Open season until they sign."

I love that even Barry Alvarez is basically saying... "Brett... shut up you stupid, stupid child."

"Meyer also said that they passed on an out of state WR "at the last second" because his last step is out of bounds. They want guys who finish hard."

Sounds like someone wanted paid...

Maybe I'm missing the metaphor but I really still have no idea what is being implied with the Neal situation...lol. Passed on him because his last step is out of bounds. OK, that can be a reference to Neal/his dad wanting to operate outside of the rules. But then throwing in the "they want guys who finish hard" line just throws me off completely. Is he actually talking about Neal on the football field now or is "guys who finish hard" a confusing metaphor for "kids who don't want handouts."

Bill Greene on Scout basically said it boils down to Meyer and the staff feeling that they can get and have gotten players like Neal every year. There are Neal-esque players on the roster right now. There is no one like Diggs. There are players way better than Neal in the 2013 class (Marshall who is already in immediately comes to mind, Robert Foster out of PA who has already visited unofficially at least once is another) too.

I just don't want to trash a kid (Neal) for wanting a handout when I'm still unsure as to what is actually being said when I read between the lines.

Hearing the Gene Smith is going to issue a statement about the recruiting stuff? I hope if that's true, it ends up like this.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/602954/Shorter_Obama.gif

"come at me bros"

Lol his dad seems like a real stand up guy, I have heard Neals dad is similar to Seantrel Henderson's dad who was a me me me type guy. I am just guessing from what others are saying that its either they asked for money ala Jordan Diamond (rumor as well) and or the whole cussing thing.

When does the "preseason" top 25 come out? I know they usualy release one around this time which cracks me up..

edit* nvm found some lol

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/very-early-college-football-top-25-2012 OSU #6?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=mh-huguenin_2012_college_football_preseason_top_25_011012 #18 (most likely)

Lmfao @ ESPN's

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7440553/college-football-way-too-early-2012-top-25

Tell me when you find OSU on that list lmfao, haters gonna hate!!!