Official 2012 Football thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bama doesn't have any kind of exotic offense that the defense would have problems with but they're just simply too good. OSU could probably put up 50 against Oregon but Oregon would put up 70...lol.

Agreed. But OSU's defense kind of likes to play down or up to their opponents. So it migbt be a close call as well. But they wouldn't have a chance in hell against bama.

There have been plenty of bad 10-0 teams that this team could beat. Big East teams and other non-BCS conference teams who started off 10-0 or went even further just to be given a beatdown once they faced a real opponent. The thing is I don't think this OSU team would just lay down if they went up against one of the elite teams this year. I think they play down to their opponents but once the offense does decided to play against their weaker opponents they're hard to stop.

Maybe I was being a bit too harsh in my assessment, and maybe you're being a bit too optimistic.

Let's put it this way: I would have absolutely no issue with this team not getting anywhere close to playing for the NCG game this year even if we weren't on probation.

BTW had a pretty good time at the OSU game yesterday. Alumni section sucks ass to sit in, yes its nice having cushioned seats, however being told to sit down when OSU scored was quite new to me. I guess thats what happens when you sit with old guys haha.

That pisses me off when people do that. If they want to watch the game sitting down, they should have just stayed at home.

That pisses me off when people do that. If they want to watch the game sitting down, they should have just stayed at home.

When I was at the NCG in 2006, an old lady - Ohio State fan - told me to sit down during the pregame festivities.

DURING THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

Maybe I was being a bit too harsh in my assessment, and maybe you're being a bit too optimistic.

Didn't have to go back more than 1 year to find a team that started 10-0 that this team would be able to easily compete with. Last year's Houston team.

Then 2009's Cincinnati team. 2008's Utah. 2007's... Ohio State...lol. 2004's Boise State.

Let's say Oregon doesn't get into the NCG and Nebraska goes on to play Oregon in the Rose Bowl and keeps it within 10. Although that is hypothetical, would this change anybody's mind about how good OSU really was? I mean we really haven't had a chance to play a very good team, so who knows how we would do?

Didn't have to go back more than 1 year to find a team that started 10-0 that this team would be able to easily compete with. Last year's Houston team.

Then 2009's Cincinnati team. 2008's Utah. 2007's... Ohio State...lol. 2004's Boise State.

Too bad we'd play exactly zero of those teams this year even if we were bowl eligible. ;)

But that's the point you're making - I realize that. You're saying, "But, Johnny Awesome, you said this was the worst 10-0 team in the history of 10-0 teams, and that's just not true." To make your point, you're bringing up teams like the 2009 Cincinnati team and saying how this Ohio State team could compete with that team. Point taken. However, I could counter by saying all those teams you just mentioned had - at 10-0 - a much higher pedigree than this 10-0 Ohio State team. Wouldn't you agree? My point is that we're 10-0 (and that's great), but I have to also consider the fact that we aren't quite as good as our record or our ranking would otherwise suggest. Tongue in cheek I said we were the "worst" - but I honestly don't believe that.

Let's say Oregon doesn't get into the NCG and Nebraska goes on to play Oregon in the Rose Bowl and keeps it within 10. Although that is hypothetical, would this change anybody's mind about how good OSU really was? I mean we really haven't had a chance to play a very good team, so who knows how we would do?

Nebraska has one of the few offenses that could keep up with Oregon in a shootout. I wouldn't cringe at that matchup.

To answer your question, no, the only people who would think that in-depth about that issue would be Ohio State fans. I'd like to think Ohio State would get credit (e.g., "Hey, Nebraska almost beat Oregon, and Ohio State waxed Nebraska, so I bet Ohio State might beat Oregon"), but the reality is they wouldn't. If it even got that far in a dialogue, there are about 17 different excuses someone could give as to why you couldn't extrapolate Ohio State's merits based on a game that didn't include them.

However, I could counter by saying all those teams you just mentioned had - at 10-0 - a much higher pedigree than this 10-0 Ohio State team. Wouldn't you agree?

No. OSU plays in a real BCS conference. Not the Big East or some actual non-BCS conference. And they kicked the crap out of a currently ranked top 20 team who may end up representing the conference in the Rose Bowl.

2011 Houston's best win through 10 games was probably a 4-point home win against UCLA who finished the season 6-8.

2008 Utah's best win through 10 games was a 13-10 home victory against TCU who also played virtually no one that season and finished with 2 losses.

We know 2007 Ohio State's pedigree.

2004 Boise State's 10-0 start... I literally can't pick a win I'd even bother mentioning as good. Maybe a 1-pointer at home against BYU who eventually finished 5-6? It's real bad.

Also, since Hyde had a really nice game on Saturday it looks a little bit more possible that he could break 1,000 for the year which would give Urban his first 2 1,000 yard rushers on the same team.

Needs just over 260 yards in the last 2 games. 3 of the last 5 he's gone for 130+. Wisconsin's rush defense is statistically good though allowing just over 108ypg. Michigan's allows just over 143ypg. Could need Hyde to carry a lot to get both of those wins though.

No. OSU plays in a real BCS conference. Not the Big East or some actual non-BCS conference. And they kicked the crap out of a currently ranked top 20 team who may end up representing the conference in the Rose Bowl.

2011 Houston's best win through 10 games was probably a 4-point home win against UCLA who finished the season 6-8.

2008 Utah's best win through 10 games was a 13-10 home victory against TCU who also played virtually no one that season and finished with 2 losses.

We know 2007 Ohio State's pedigree.

2004 Boise State's 10-0 start... I literally can't pick a win I'd even bother mentioning as good. Maybe a 1-pointer at home against BYU who eventually finished 5-6? It's real bad.

I almost stopped reading after you said Ohio State plays in a "real BCS conference." Not this year we'd don't. If you think the B10 doesn't stink then you're delusional.

Wait, didn't the 2008 Utah team beat Alabama? The Saban-coached Alabama of the SEC-SEC-SEC?

And wasn't that 2009 Cincinnati team breaking all kinds of records for offense/points scored, etc?

I'm not really trying to mount a great counter-argument. I'll totally concede that this Ohio State team could compete with all the teams you mentioned. I won't accept anyone saying the B10 this year is anywhere close to being a good conference. And I won't buy anyone telling me that this Ohio State team is anywhere close to being actually the 5th best team in the country. (And I'm a total Ohio State homer.)

I'm horrified of us having to play at Wisconsin in two weeks. Did I mention how much I hate Wisconsin?

Wisonsin at their place always makes me want to puke. "Hey guys, let's throw these marshmellows filled with change at the players for OSU when they take their helmets off!"

Fuck that.

I almost stopped reading after you said Ohio State plays in a "real BCS conference." Not this year we'd don't. If you think the B10 doesn't stink then you're delusional.

Wait, didn't the 2008 Utah team beat Alabama? The Saban-coached Alabama of the SEC-SEC-SEC?

And wasn't that 2009 Cincinnati team breaking all kinds of records for offense/points scored, etc?

I'm not really trying to mount a great counter-argument. I'll totally concede that this Ohio State team could compete with all the teams you mentioned. I won't accept anyone saying the B10 this year is anywhere close to being a good conference. And I won't buy anyone telling me that this Ohio State team is anywhere close to being actually the 5th best team in the country. (And I'm a total Ohio State homer.)

B1G is bad but still better than the Big East. Up until the conference regurgitation or whatever you want to call it I was almost certain the Big East would lose its auto-bid and it would go to the MWC but then everyone started moving around. B1G is no where near that bad.

And yes, that Utah team beat a Bama team that didn't want to be there and was missing players due to agent crap (pretty sure that's what it was with Andre Smith). But not in its first 10 games which is all I was really looking at.

And this OSU team is setting offensive records and whatnot. At least OSU records. First team in program history to put up 50+ 4 times in a single season.

To be fair, of the teams I listed, that 2009 Cincy team was probably the best of the bunch. A good win against a pretty decent WVU team and another against an OK South Florida team. I just really wanted to put them on there to mess with the 2 Cincy fans who post here from time to time.

I feel bad for Geno, his teams defense is terrible and its killing his chances. Thats why I hate the Heisman trophey as I have said over and over again. You lose 1 game and your Heisman hopeful is essentially done unless he puts up ungodly numbers. Better question is how is Manti Tae'o a Heisman hopeful? His stats aren't even as good as Shaziers lol.

I feel bad for Geno, his teams defense is terrible and its killing his chances. Thats why I hate the Heisman trophey as I have said over and over again. You lose 1 game and your Heisman hopeful is essentially done unless he puts up ungodly numbers. Better question is how is Manti Tae'o a Heisman hopeful? His stats aren't even as good as Shaziers lol.

Because he plays for a Notre Dame team that is doing well. Sad, but true. I agree with the sentiment - he doesn't even come close to deserving recognition as a Heisman winner. Hell, Javeon Clowney is about 10 times better as a defensive player.

To be fair, of the teams I listed, that 2009 Cincy team was probably the best of the bunch. A good win against a pretty decent WVU team and another against an OK South Florida team. I just really wanted to put them on there to mess with the 2 Cincy fans who post here from time to time.

Juicy is going to throw a fit when he gets back here and sees how you've slandered his precious Bearcatz.

:fa:

go bearcats, we're the best of the worst bests

Because he plays for a Notre Dame team that is doing well. Sad, but true. I agree with the sentiment - he doesn't even come close to deserving recognition as a Heisman winner. Hell, Javeon Clowney is about 10 times better as a defensive player.

Clowney is a freak haha. I thought coming out of highschool he might just be all hype, however he is backing it up at the next level.

Lets look at ESPN's current Heisman contendors watch list

1. Colin Klein QB of undefeated Kansas St

2. Manti Te'o LB of undefeated Notre Dame

t3. Kenjon Barner RB of undefeated Oregon

t3. A.J McCarron QB of undefeated Alabama...really?

5. Braxton Miller QB of undefeated Ohio State

So essentially if your team is undefeated currently your in the Heisman race lol.