Where do you search for jobs?

Trouble Maker

ladders.com

Is their schtick of $100k jobs/people real? Not at that level yet. :fa: I'm also not looking to ever be in management either, and I think I remember one of their commercials talking about management level jobs.

honesty, network. it's likely going to boil down to who you know. Linked in is a good place. Activity is picking up as end of year is coming.

I'm working it! Talking to people and just signed up for a Linked in account. :fuckyeah:

Is their schtick of $100k jobs/people real? Not at that level yet. :fa: I'm also not looking to ever be in management either, and I think I remember one of their commercials talking about management level jobs.

I'm working it! Talking to people and just signed up for a Linked in account. :fuckyeah:

It will eventually fall into place.

Years from now, you'll have colleagues at other companies more than willing to bring you aboard if the need ever arose.

:megusta:

Is their schtick of $100k jobs/people real? Not at that level yet. :fa:

At the low end yes. Most of the solid ones are $100-$200 and they are real. Key to sites like that are to have your stuff well written and prepared. Years ago I paid about $700 to have my resume, cover letter and several other peices of correspondance crafted including some digital profiles so the key words needed were hit upon. I will 100% say it works when done correctly. I'll do it again in another year or so to keep it fresh and updated.

I'm also not looking to ever be in management either, and I think I remember one of their commercials talking about management level jobs.
That's cool. Knowing where you are are and what you're not looking for right now is part of it all too. I'd still look at spending some time getting the communications pieces written up and put together though.

That's a good start. Feel free to connect with me there. Timothy Lauro. I have a pretty good network of people hitting my contacts and requesting information. Lately, a lot. You never know who will see your profile and ask to be connected.

I used CareerBuilder, but ultimately knew the companies I was targeting and started watching their web sites. I'm LinkedIn to a few recruiters and a lot or people I used to work with, and I'm sure that could pay off in the future, same goes for some people I know on Facebook. I have a few friends that if I knew they were looking I would try my hardest to bring in to my place.

Indeed, linkedin, ladders are all good resources.

You might also try...

Contacting a recruiting company that works in your field. Talk to one of their recruiters and start a relationship so they know what you are looking for and call them once a week.

Talk to your friends or even peer coworkers (that you trust) and ask them what open jobs they know of and also who else knows of a lot of open jobs. Similarly, you could begin to attend networking events as well as some of the events/luncheons that "business first" sponsors. Be weary though, a lot of those people don't attend to "help you find" or "look for" a job... Some just tend to blow a lot of hot air.

Here is a basic question since I may be able to help. What have you been doing in the past 5 years? And, what do you want to do next?

Stat, 80% of people who changed jobs last year did it to make a lateral move doing the same thing for similar money because they'd rather do "it" in a different culture. With that being said... I think people make lateral moves with the intent of moving up eventually. Food for thought though.

That's a good start. Feel free to connect with me there. Timothy Lauro. I have a pretty good network of people hitting my contacts and requesting information. Lately, a lot. You never know who will see your profile and ask to be connected.

Done and thanks! Don't judge my profile too much yet, it's a work in progress. :) Thanks for the other tips too. Depending on how far this gets I may look into getting work done on my resume.

Contacting a recruiting company that works in your field. Talk to one of their recruiters and start a relationship so they know what you are looking for and call them once a week.

You're a recruiter correct? Do you know anyone (good) who works in the engineering filed?

Here is a basic question since I may be able to help. What have you been doing in the past 5 years? And, what do you want to do next?

I have a degree in electrical engineering and I've been with my company for more than 5 years. I've been doing something somewhere in between electrical, mechanical, and software in the automotive industry on the R&D side. I would like to move more towards electrical design. Despite that I'm open, since I'm just starting my job search I'm still getting ideas as I look at jobs. I'm not looking to change careers and plan to utilize my degree and more importantly my expierence in the field.

Stat, 80% of people who changed jobs last year did it to make a lateral move doing the same thing for similar money because they'd rather do "it" in a different culture. With that being said... I think people make lateral moves with the intent of moving up eventually. Food for thought though.

A little bit of both. I am planning to move laterally. But there's not much mobility where I'm at so I want to be somewhere that the opportunities exist for the future.

Edited by Trouble Maker

indeed.com

Came here to post this.

...and networking. Call buddies that you remember from way back, see if they're hiring or know anyone who is.

Often, really good jobs are given to those that keep in touch with internal sources and employees. I may or may not have gotten a job in the past, even though it wasn't posted online until the day I was told to look for it, and apply! Many major decisions are done before the job even posts to a public forum like job boards or company website...

If you were willing to move to Michigan I probably have a position that meets all of your criteria. :-)

The job field in your region has always been a draw but I have 0 other reasons to move there. We considered moving away from Columbus but it would have to have been for a place we wanted to live; probably somewhere out west. That's all academic now since we just bought a house. I could always be the central Ohio employee, specializing in the local market! :p Thanks for the thought. :)

If your looking for anything specific let me know. I work for a recruiting firm and works with over 150 different companies. i wont get into many details here. I know some people don't like the "staffing" companies but we have a lot of good things going on. I specialize in the Energy Services division but can assist with other areas. Today, its all about networking and getting your foot in the door. For sure get on Linkedin, indeed.com, monster and careerbuilder. You will contacted by a lot of companies that you don't want to work for but eventually the right thing will come along.

Done and thanks! Don't judge my profile too much yet, it's a work in progress. :) Thanks for the other tips too. Depending on how far this gets I may look into getting work done on my resume.

You're a recruiter correct? Do you know anyone (good) who works in the engineering filed?

I have a degree in electrical engineering and I've been with my company for more than 5 years. I've been doing something somewhere in between electrical, mechanical, and software in the automotive industry on the R&D side. I would like to move more towards electrical design. Despite that I'm open, since I'm just starting my job search I'm still getting ideas as I look at jobs. I'm not looking to change careers and plan to utilize my degree and more importantly my expierence in the field.

A little bit of both. I am planning to move laterally. But there's not much mobility where I'm at so I want to be somewhere that the opportunities exist for the future.

I work strictly in healthcare.

There are hundreds of firms that work with engineers. I don;t know a single one of them. I am sorry. I will ask around though.

I havent had much luck with recruiters, they cal me all the time either trying to get me to move in some awful place or say they will look for a position in cbus but i never hear anything.

I am trying the networking route,

also using linkin for building my network.

I am a mechanical engineer

I havent had much luck with recruiters, they cal me all the time either trying to get me to move in some awful place or say they will look for a position in cbus but i never hear anything.

I am trying the networking route,

also using linkin for building my network.

I am a mechanical engineer

Shoot me a PM

Not recruiters, that's for sure. They always are interested in the job they have in hand. They rarely work for the person they have in hand, see my point. They don't go find you a job, they find the job a person.

Cold job location is tough but doable. Indeed.com and Linkedin are good resources. I like to combine them. find the job on Indeed and then see how you are connected to that job on LinkedIn.

They don't go find you a job, they find the job a person.

Companies pay the fees... not the candidate. Simple to "cant hate" the idea if logic is present.

Recruiters recruit people (who meet criteria) to fill jobs and get paid by the client. Outplacement firms (thing of the past) help people find jobs and charge that individual.

Posting this more for others who have posted in here, than Jesse. He and I have talked.

Networking is being mentioned several times. There is an amazing out come from that. The hard part might be letting the people you know, know you are looking for a job, and having them actively keep you in mind. Those of you that know Jesse, know he's one smart dude and does right on all he is involved in.

Simple things like that, for those people looking for work, will want people to have you on their team. Network like a champ. Do right, and go above when the opertunity presents itself. Be mindful to, "How can I make this bettter"? If you can execute making it better on the spot, do it. It might be helping a lady in the parking lot change a flat, helping someone pick up a bunch of papers they dropped, it could be anything. Let people know you are there to help and looking to work.

I believe that's called "being a good person"^^^

And if you are a good person, karma will favor you. I have only ever seen good things happen to good people. I have also seen bad things happen to good people. But I have never seen good things happen to bad people. Optimistic people always seem to "luck-out" because they are "open" to more opportunities as well aschances in life.