This just in.....wear your damn seatbelts!

TTQ B4U

He is somewhat right. Air bags were designed to protect the driver because when they were invented usage of seat belt rates were very low.

Not according to sources Car and Driver magazine is quoting, don't have the issue in front of me but they quoted numbers from NHTSA about belt usage and how some companies are testing airbags.

y'all keep believing what y'all wanna believe

I think you guys are retarded.

Airbags have always been designed around passengers wearing the seatbelt.

It's part of a carefully engineered system, remove the belt and all hell breaks lose to the model.

thank you

• Confused 1

y'all keep believing what y'all wanna believe

thank you

Doesn't matter to me either way. I'm just glad they came out with the newer airbags that don't try to decapitate you when they go off like the one that tried to do to me years back, seatbelt stopped me then airbag snapped my head back into the seat.:dumb:

Doesn't matter to me either way. I'm just glad they came out with the newer airbags that don't try to decapitate you when they go off like the one that tried to do to me years back, seatbelt stopped me then airbag snapped my head back into the seat.:dumb:

Reminded me of this.

My wife designs airbags and from my conversations with her about this over a year ago, I believe you are correct. I think the out-of-position tests are all unbelted, but I could ask her to confirm.

Obviously everything is designed as a system and you are safest when you use them all together. And airbag may prevent serious injury by slowing down your body in a controlled manner and/or preventing a hard impact with the structure of the vehicle, but it does nothing to restrict your body's movement, like a seatbelt does.

Edited by Mallard

2 of my cousins were involved in a crash. The one wearing a seat belt died, the other who wasn't wearing one, was thrown out and walked away with bruises. If its your time, it's going to happen either way

Do you ever say things that are logical?

No one has a time to go, If you doubt this please put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger. If it goes off it must have been your time.

Seat belts save lives. For every this one guy lived cause he flew out the windows theres 20 cases where if people had seatbelts on they would have lived.

on the same note I hate when Motorcyle Riders don't wear there brain buckets

Edited by Thorne

Seat belts save lives. For every this one guy lived cause he flew out the windows theres 20 cases where if people had seatbelts on they would have lived.

While I agree, at it's core these are all "what if's". Unless it happens in a controlled environment many times with balanced controls than all we can say is, "if this than this".

My wife designs airbags and from my conversations with her about this over a year ago, I believe you are correct. I think the out-of-position tests are all unbelted, but I could ask her to confirm.

Obviously everything is designed as a system and you are safest when you use them all together. And airbag may prevent serious injury by slowing down your body in a controlled manner and/or preventing a hard impact with the structure of the vehicle, but it does nothing to restrict your body's movement, like a seatbelt does.

P.S. I just confirmed with the wife. The US mandates tests with and without a belted passanger that you have to pass, while Europe does not.

While I agree, at it's core these are all "what if's". Unless it happens in a controlled environment many times with balanced controls than all we can say is, "if this than this".

Why to race car drivers wear harnesses, helmets, HANS, have seat halo's and/or nets on both sides of them?

It would not be accepted in the public to require everyone in a car to be restrained this way, but all the safety devices in your car are working together as a system to accomplish the same result. The belt restricts your movement and can slow you body down, the frontal airbag additionally slows your body down and prevents extreme neck angles, the side curtain prevents your skull from contacting the structure of the car, the thorax bags prevent your body from contacting the structure of the car, the inboard thorax bag prevents the two font passangers from hitting each other...and so on.

All of this IS developed in a controlled environment and done hundreds of times before a car reaches production. The highest chances of survival in an accident are when you wear your seatbelt (and hopefully have lots of airbags too).

i was in a bad car accident in august. the seatbelt receiver was pushed into my side above my hip bone. tore the interior and exterior obliques clean off the hip bone.

the air bag split open my forehead and burned my inner arms.

had i not had my seat belt on i would be dead. i am a huge believer in seat belts. i thank god everyday i had it buckled up even if it did fuck me up. after a long surgery to repair me and 2 months of rehab i am finally getting better.

Why to race car drivers wear harnesses, helmets, HANS, have seat halo's and/or nets on both sides of them?

It would not be accepted in the public to require everyone in a car to be restrained this way, but all the safety devices in your car are working together as a system to accomplish the same result. The belt restricts your movement and can slow you body down, the frontal airbag additionally slows your body down and prevents extreme neck angles, the side curtain prevents your skull from contacting the structure of the car, the thorax bags prevent your body from contacting the structure of the car, the inboard thorax bag prevents the two font passangers from hitting each other...and so on.

All of this IS developed in a controlled environment and done hundreds of times before a car reaches production. The highest chances of survival in an accident are when you wear your seatbelt (and hopefully have lots of airbags too).

Yeah...um, I know. Reread the first three words of my post.

Sometimes though regardless of what you do death happens. That's all I'm saying. I never once said I didn't believe in the tested system. I wear my seat belt everytime I'm in any vehicle. My life HAS been saved in a fatal accident.

Reminded me of this.

A.J. Cook is soo damn hot...........especially as a brunette......:masturboy:

Years back in my friends Grand am(1st year with air bags I think) an idiot suddenly swerved left of center and took us head on, seatbelt stopped me, then the air bag popped and tried to put hy head out the rear window, hurt like hell and somehow didn't break my neck.

I'm not trying to argue how the testing with them is done, just going by what I read and I figrured it was tested both ways by different organizations.

Do you ever say things that are logical?

No one has a time to go, If you doubt this please put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger. If it goes off it must have been your time.

you explain it then. no brain bucket for me either. feel free to ead

Years back in my friends Grand am(1st year with air bags I think) an idiot suddenly swerved left of center and took us head on, seatbelt stopped me, then the air bag popped and tried to put hy head out the rear window, hurt like hell and somehow didn't break my neck.

I'm not trying to argue how the testing with them is done, just going by what I read and I figrured it was tested both ways by different organizations.

Airbags have come a long way since then. Look up low-risk deploy airbags or out-of-position testing.

I would never drive in a car with air bags and NOT wear my belt. My brother had one deploy and even with a seatbelt, he got a bloody nose and left a clear face print on the bag. I'd post a pic but it's bloody and not pretty. Clear though. He WAS belted in too.

Back in the late 90's I was behind a lady in a wagon that skidded off road and hit a tree. Several of us ran up to her car to help and when she opened the door it was clear she wasn't belted and her entire face was turning black and blue before our eyes as she was clobbered by the air bag. We ended up just leaving her in the car at that point because we had no idea how bad she was hurt. Wasn't a huge impact but that bag nailed her.

Part of the reason for low-risk deploy is because shorter people (typically women) sometimes sit way too close to the steering wheel. This could lead to something like what you saw. Also, don't ever(!!!!!!) ride shotgun with your feet up on the dash. I see people doing this all the time and it's asking for serious injury.

On the flip side of everyone's air bag injuries, I was in a head-on collision while driving a 1993 Oldsmobile and was perfectly fine. My glasses were still on and weren't even bent. It wasn't a high speed impact though.

They're based a lot on speed and force of impact nowadays aren't they? I know they work in stages if I've read it right.

Multiple stages, adaptive vents, bag teathers, etc. Even the size of the inflator being used today is much smaller than it used to be.