If you were left a large sum of money.. what would you do?

Buck531

I wouldn't pay off my house.

I would pay it down to around 70% LTV and do a 15 yr loan at 2.75% that is tax deductible.

Then take the money that would have went to pay off the house and buy tax free muni bonds paying ~4%.

= Free money

buy a bodykit....:gabe:

no in reality 100k:

50-75k on down payment for house and use the rest for brand new family car, fix my beater or get a newer beater.

200k:

buy house on some decent land buy two new cars, go to school and get a drift toy.

If I were left 100-200K I'd probably pay off my house or most of it and refi the rest to a tiny payment to increase my disposable income and security.

Otherwise I'd trade with it and not be working a fulltime job if at all for someone else.

I wouldn't pay off my house.

I would pay it down to around 70% LTV and do a 15 yr loan at 2.75% that is tax deductible.

Then take the money that would have went to pay off the house and buy tax free muni bonds paying ~4%.

= Free money

This guy gets it

The question of "paying off the house" also comes down to, are you happy where you are and not likely to move? For me I'd say yes. I got 3400sq ft of home and 5 acres in just the right place that I could live here the rest of my life just fine. The pay off bonus is I don't have to pay a huge price for it monthly until I'm about retirement age and can use that money to enjoy life and trade some more.