Very Official 2013 Football Thread

Dr. Pomade

It's "symbolism" that Michigan uses to remind the entire college football universe of their preeminence on the regular.

No, wins count for something. They are bragging rights, at least. They also one of the yardsticks for measuring bluebloods of the sport.

1 season means nothing to a program like OSU. It was a pointless "punishment". Its like doing the online traffic school to not get points for a speeding ticket. You sat there in your speedo, drinking martinis and staring at your hair in a mirror while the class played in the background.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the only reason it looks like OSU got off easy is because they were lucky enough that Urban was available and willing. It was an absolute dream scenario that OSU would come out of this with Urban and the hope of maintaining the quality they had become accustomed to under Tressel. If Urban decides he's not ready yet/he's done with coaching who is at OSU right now? Bo Pelini? :no:

Remember, the punishment came after urban took the job. The NCAA went light, esp with the repeat offender status and the issues with the bball program issues

1 season means nothing to a program like OSU. It was a pointless "punishment". Its like doing the online traffic school to not get points for a speeding ticket. You sat there in your speedo, drinking martinis and staring at your hair in a mirror while the class played in the background.

How can you know me so well without having never met me???

Damn your mystical powers of perception.

The SEC thing is important, no doubt, but some other schools have pulled it off. USC almost got it right but got cocky on top of everything and pissed off the NCAA.

Oregon kept their mouths shut, stuck to a story of a lesser crime and got a slap on the wrist.

UNC simply changed some stuff around making all of the "perks" available to their athletes in the classroom available to everyone in those classes and all of a sudden their academic scandal went poof.

OSU cooperated, self-reported, kept trying to get out ahead of stuff and making asses out of themselves and got what they got.

PSU gave the NCAA carte blanche so the NCAA used the Freeh report and hammered them.

Miami will be interesting because Yahoo did all the legwork there (as they did with USC and some of Oregon's stuff) and the NCAA sent their people to Miami and they fucked up.

I think that covers the non-SEC schools. UNC and Oregon pulled some shit and got off much easier than they should have, OSU and PSU tried to cooperate and got hit harder than they should have, Miami is TBD but they're doing a combo job... keeping their mouths shut like Oregon but very quietly and continuously keeping themselves out of post-season play.

And the only reason it looks like OSU got off easy is because they were lucky enough that Urban was available and willing. It was an absolute dream scenario that OSU would come out of this with Urban and the hope of maintaining the quality they had become accustomed to under Tressel. If Urban decides he's not ready yet/he's done with coaching who is at OSU right now? Bo Pelini? :no:

What will the NCAA do when their little pet SEC monster leads the charge to break from them and all their $$$ goes out the door?

Fuck the NCAA, Fuck ESPN, and Fuck the entire state of Michigan

I don't know if the SEC would want to leave the NCAA. They're obviously able to operate under a different set of rules from everyone else. Why would they want to leave a playing field that is uneven to their advantage to go somewhere where all of a sudden everyone else is doing exactly what they are? I mean, I guess regardless of the governing body the SEC will go above and beyond.

The Ole Miss-Vandy game last night should have been really fun to watch but as they kept talking about Nkemdiche and Treadwell and the great class Ole Miss just signed (read: bought) it just soured the experience a bit.

I don't know if the SEC would want to leave the NCAA. They're obviously able to operate under a different set of rules from everyone else. Why would they want to leave a playing field that is uneven to their advantage to go somewhere where all of a sudden everyone else is doing exactly what they are? I mean, I guess regardless of the governing body the SEC will go above and beyond.

The Ole Miss-Vandy game last night should have been really fun to watch but as they kept talking about Nkemdiche and Treadwell and the great class Ole Miss just signed (read: bought) it just soured the experience a bit.

They would leave because right now they are sharing the revenue with over 300 schools. Why would you do that, when less then half of those schools even have football programs? Also, each of those other 300 schools get's a vote on how that money is shared.

Trust me, the big four conferences would make a stupid amount of money by leaving. They would only have to revenue share with themselves (if they chose to do that at ALL), they would get to have their own rules committee, their own TV deal....the only losers in that deal are the NCAA.

Zack have you ever tried watching a game with the tv on mute and or the radio playing instead of the color commentators? It's a lot better experience. Hell I think I will do it tomorrow given who the announcers for the OSU game are.

This is what I do. Unless Keith Jackson is calling the came you will be listening to total garbage out of the TV.

I really hope Herbbie pushes Brent Drunkberger out of the booth soon...

Zack have you ever tried watching a game with the tv on mute and or the radio playing instead of the color commentators? It's a lot better experience. Hell I think I will do it tomorrow given who the announcers for the OSU game are.

I usually have the volume on pretty low and don't let it get to me too much. Mostly I enjoy making fun of their errors. Who's announcing tomorrow? Mowins and Galloway?

Year 3 of waiting for a punishment to be handed down from the NCAA for the U. LOL

Saw something last night where they were expecting to announce something within the next 2-3 or 3-4 weeks. I forget what it said. Given the Manziel punishment I'm expecting a gentle fondling of Miami's balls.

It hurts my feelings when you act like the rest of us aren't even here.

The handling of the Miami case should have cost Mark Emmert his job. That he is still the head guy is patently ridiculous.

Yeah, like I said in one of my essay posts... Yahoo handed them that case on a silver platter, NCAA sent their people in and fucked it up. Meanwhile Miami continues to recruit top 20 classes and keep themselves out of monster post-season bowl games like the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.