College Football Thread v2.0

Dr. Pomade

Agreed on all of that. But what I was saying is that if USC played in SEC during those years they likely still made the NCG because their SOS. (Or, said a little differently, it was the PAC-10 that kept them from playing for NC.) Didn't Florida lose to Auburn the year they beat us for NC? And didn't LSU lose to Arkansas the year they beat us for NC? And did Florida lose to Ole Miss (at home) the other year they won NC? And then of course there's Alabama losing at home to LSU in a colossally boring game and them still going on to win NC. With the exception of Auburn, haven't all the SEC teams that have won BCS national championships all had at least one loss?

SEC wasn't perceived as this massive juggernaut until OSU let them be perceived that way post-2006. So it wouldn't have helped in 2003 or 2006. They were slated to go to the title game ahead of Florida in 2006 already before dropping their 2nd game of the season to UCLA. 2008 it may have helped.

And I believe Alabama was undefeated for one of their titles.

Edit: Yeah, 2009 when Bama won the title against Texas they were 14-0.

Another edit: Pretty crazy, USC AND Michigan were ahead of Florida going into the final week of 2006. All the talk was OSU vs. USC for the title and if for some crazy reason USC lost to UCLA then we'd get a rematch of OSU-Michigan. USC lost before the end of the SEC title game and the second half of that game became the "Gary Danielson lobbying for Florida to be in the title game over Michigan" show.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SEC wasn't perceived as this massive juggernaut until OSU let them be perceived that way post-2006. So it wouldn't have helped in 2003 or 2006. They were slated to go to the title game ahead of Florida in 2006 already before dropping their 2nd game of the season to UCLA. 2008 it may have helped.

And I believe Alabama was undefeated for one of their titles.

Edit: Yeah, 2009 when Bama won the title against Texas they were 14-0.

Another edit: Pretty crazy, USC AND Michigan were ahead of Florida going into the final week of 2006. All the talk was OSU vs. USC for the title and if for some crazy reason USC lost to UCLA then we'd get a rematch of OSU-Michigan. USC lost before the end of the SEC title game and the second half of that game became the "Gary Danielson lobbying for Florida to be in the title game over Michigan" show.

Maybe I wasn't being clear. I think the weakness of the PAC-10 kept USC from playing for NC titles that they could have (easily) won. If the PAC-10 wasn't so weak (and, instead, was perceived as strong like the SEC has been for the past 8 years or so), then I think USC plays for - and wins - a few more titles.

I remember the lead up to the end of the 2006 season. I was sure we were going to play USC in the title game that year. Like you said, we probably get trounced by them, too. Of course, like you said, maybe we take the game a bit more seriously if it's USC. I'm ashamed to admit this, but I didn't think much of Florida when it was announced they would be playing us. I was guilty of being fat and lazy too.

Maybe I wasn't being clear. I think the weakness of the PAC-10 kept USC from playing for NC titles that they could have (easily) won. If the PAC-10 wasn't so weak (and, instead, was perceived as strong like the SEC has been for the past 8 years or so), then I think USC plays for - and wins - a few more titles.

I remember the lead up to the end of the 2006 season. I was sure we were going to play USC in the title game that year. Like you said, we probably get trounced by them, too. Of course, like you said, maybe we take the game a bit more seriously if it's USC. I'm ashamed to admit this, but I didn't think much of Florida when it was announced they would be playing us. I was guilty of being fat and lazy too.

I thought playing Florida was a joke too. Ginn took the opening kickoff to the house and everyone I was watching the game with just laughed. We stopped paying attention for a few minutes and look up and see UF score a TD.

:(

I thought playing Florida was a joke too. Ginn took the opening kickoff to the house and everyone I was watching the game with just laughed. We stopped paying attention for a few minutes and look up and see UF score a TD.

It's hilarious and painful to think about basically everyone's thoughts going into that game. By the time game week rolled around the only objective people making arguments for Florida were those who thought they could pull a 2002 OSU vs. Miami. Florida was so disrespected by that point they thought they could use that to at least keep it close and maybe pull off an upset. Instead we get... 41-14.

It's hilarious and painful to think about basically everyone's thoughts going into that game. By the time game week rolled around the only objective people making arguments for Florida were those who thought they could pull a 2002 OSU vs. Miami. Florida was so disrespected by that point they thought they could use that to at least keep it close and maybe pull off an upset. Instead we get... 41-14.

Remember the picture all over the net? The picture of a plane with the UF logo parked backwards at the airport gate

god dammit

Josh will enjoy this as he's remained not unjustifiably worried about the Purdue game...

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/10/27873/pit-of-despair-ramzy-purdue-boilermakers-ohio-state-buckeyes

Those little bastards I tell ya. I don't know if it's just a mental thing with OSU or if Purdue just puts their entire season on the line for this 1 game, but they always give OSU fits. I hope this year is different cause I really don't wanna be surrounded by Purdue fans talking mad shit to us lol. I'll be there in my I hate Ohio State attire of course, so maybe they'll cut me some slack.

Remember Urban Meyer lobbying that year, that in order to be in the NCG you should have to win your conference....I do

Yep, Urban was all over the place after winning the SEC title game making his case and Lloyd just sat back and waited. Reminded me of the scene from Fahrenheit 9/11 showing the democrats sitting by the phones waiting for congress or someone to call them about the voter/ballot issues in Florida...lol.

I was at the game. The place went fucking bananas when Ginn scored. We were all high-fiving and shit and thinking that, if we scored on special teams, that was just a bonus and were probably going to score like 50 on them.

:o

The funniest part about the comments was the one that said to give Briles a month to prepare and he'll tear Ohio State up. Urban Meyers biggest thing is self scouting everything that Baylor would find Ohio State would have already seen and is trying to fix. On top of that then you have a ohio State game planning against Baylor's weaknesses everything equal I give a an Urban Meyer staff the huge upper hand when each team has a month to prepare

Opening up this can of worms again lol....Apparently it's fucked up for OSU to hang points on opponents but totally fine for others to do it

""Your team is winning by 49 points with about one quarter of football to play, your opponent is driving, and on fourth down, apparently gets enough yards for a first down at your 20.

So what do you do as coach? You call for a replay, which overturns the spot of the ball and gives you and your 56-7 lead possession on downs.

This, ladies and gentleman, is a coach who simply can’t check his ego.

If this fall doesn’t work out for Ohio State; if the Buckeyes go unbeaten and don’t play for the BCS National Championship, Urban Meyer will have no one to blame but himself. You don’t pull that stunt and not feel the ramifications from the coaches poll or the Harris Poll, where former coaches and administrators vote.

Those two polls account for two-thirds of the BCS process, and can all but eliminate a team from consideration. Don’t think for a moment that—all things being equal, and if it comes down to three or four teams for two spots—last week’s stunt won’t be on the mind of voters.

Let’s not get confused here. What Meyer did wasn’t running up the score. It was much worse.

What he did was tell the 65 scholarship players at Penn State—a team with 20 less scholarship players than his own, and a team that has lived hell the last two seasons through no fault of its own—that a 49-point humiliation wasn’t disheartening enough. You’ve had the worst night of your life, young men.

And now I’m going to make it worse.

I called or texted 10 BCS coaches in the last few days, and each made it a point to say that Meyer’s decision had nothing to do with running up the score. Pouring it on, they all said, is leaving starters in the game.

Meyer had his starters out midway through the third quarter.

“That wasn’t running up the score,” said one BCS coach. “That’s being a (expletive deleted).”"

Written by Matt Hayes

I figured someone would be pissy about that decision. But fuck those who are bitching about it. You can either bitch about OSU having a weak schedule and having no chance at the NC game, or you can bitch about them running up the score, which just so happens to be the only true way to prove themselves. Not both.

I figured someone would be pissy about that decision. But fuck those who are bitching about it. You can either bitch about OSU having a weak schedule and having no chance at the NC game, or you can bitch about them running up the score, which just so happens to be the only true way to prove themselves. Not both.

Matt Hayes counts as no one

Brilliant article.

I love all the hypocrisy he points out: margin of victory doesn't count for Ohio State, but does for Baylor, and then when Ohio State does torch someone - see Penn State - then people still dog on Ohio State.