College Football Thread v2.0

Dr. Pomade

I've never heard of Matt Hayes. Does he really take himself that seriously? This guy sounds like a semi-professional clown.

He's the author of the article "From Champs to Chomped: How Urban Meyer Broke Florida Football." He really, really, really hates Urban. At least half as much as Josh. :lolguy: Hayes wrote and published that article right around the time he was hired at OSU. All the Gator fans were just like "Haha have fun OSU fans!" And we were all like "Man I sure hope he breaks us like he broke you guys to the tune of 2 national titles."

Also, I thought this comparison post on reddit from a completely unbiased person (Georgia Tech fan) of Meyer vs. Saban was solid and he points out a lot of the reasons I start to salivate at the thought of Urban being at OSU until he's around Saban's age. He posted this in response to the CBS article where it mentioned Urban and Saban as the best two with Saban being the clear #1...

The Meyer-Saban debate, I think, is somewhat debatable.

This is Urban Meyer's 12th season coaching college football.

At the end of 11 seasons of football, Urban Meyer had accumulated a 116-23 record (83.45%), a 7-1 bowl record (87.5%), 2 National Championships, 4 Conference Championships, 4 Division Titles, and 2 undefeated seasons.

At the end of Nick Saban's first 11 seasons of football, he had accumulated a 91-42-1 record (68.28%), a 3-5 bowl record (37.5%), 1 National Championship, 3 Conference Championships (one was a tie), 3 Division Titles, and 0 undefeated seasons.

Saban currently has more hardware, but does that make him a better coach?

Saban coached 5 years at Michigan State and never won a bowl game and never won the conference. Meyer coached two years at Utah and won the conference twice and two bowl games (including the Fiesta).

Saban coached 5 years at LSU and won 3 bowls, the conference twice, and one National Championship. Meyer coached 6 years at Florida and won 5 bowls, the conference twice, and two National Championships.

Saban has coached 6 years at Alabama now, and has won the conference twice, 5 bowl games, and 3 National Championships. Meyer is in his second season at Ohio State and has gone 20-0.

It's pretty clear from this that Saban does OK with OK resources (Michigan State), good with good resources (LSU), and great with great resources (Alabama). Urban Meyer does great everywhere.

I'm not saying that Urban Meyer is definitively a better coach than Nick Saban, but I am saying that there is an argument, and that Meyer seems to have a higher potential and a sharper trajectory.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good article, won't change shit but still a good article. You know what will be bigger news, OSU's first loss under Urban and I would almost bet money on that

How funny would it be if he got to something like 35-0 before that? Depending on who leaves after this year, it's possible we could see 37-0

BTW 37 wins would be the third longest and the longest win streak since 1971 and the first over 35 since 1951

26-0 will tie us at 19th. A win saturday breaks us into the top 50

That CBS Sports article was amazing. OSU really doesn't get the credit it deserves, and the Penn State victory was definitely not being an Asshole to Penn State, it was just playing the game the way it's meant to be played. Matt Hayes is a fucking idiot, haha

Looking at the schedule ahead and next year, I really don't know when OSU's first loss will come. I mean it could very well be this Saturday (prob not) or it could be Michigan (prob not), B10 championship game, bowl game? Until the b10 steps it up and another team becomes a legitimate threat to OSU they should win every conference game handily.

Hell has frozen over, CBS which is pretty Pro SEC has now written 2 nice articles on OSU

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24165885/ohio-state-is-great-but-lousy-big-ten-is-ruining-its-bcs-dreams

They too are pointing out that the B10 really isn't that good as a whole

"Ohio State has a schedule strength of 68th, per the NCAA. Based on future opposition for the remainder of the season -- all conference games -- that schedule strength is 96th."

"During those 20 straight wins, the Buckeyes have played one team ranked in the top 16 at the time of kickoff. That would be Northwestern earlier this month, No. 16 at the time. The Wildcats have since lost four consecutive games."

"This isn't like 2004 when Auburn went 13-0 and the SEC melted into a puddle of sadness and rage. Tom Tuberville was canvassing AP voters in the press box trying to salvage a split championship that year. SEC commissioner Mike Slive dug in and made it his life's work to start what we will know next year as the College Football Playoff.

This is the Big Ten which, while we weren't looking, became something close to C-USA. At least perception-wise."

lol.... I think your a bit in the clouds on that one. If you dont think OSU had to compete for him, and put up big dollars and tell him all the great reasons he should come... you're out of your mind. Sure I think the open positions at the time made it easier... but if the OUs, Alabama's, etc... of hte world had flashed the highest dollars and best incentives, he'd have given a great speech there on how much he loved that school....

Not football related, but this is crazy

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/george-mason-basketball-recruiting-10-old-fifth-grader-103330020.html

"Typical growth projections would have Jones grow to be nearly 7-feet tall"

I don't think projections mean a whole lot honestly cause I was projected to be 6'2ish, I am 6'6. I know kids who were 6ft in 8th grade and to this day are 6ft

Edited by DaddyBuiltRacing

So we went to Purdue today and it was a totally different experience than Columbus. First they have parking in people front yards. Then when u get in to campus it's like being at a big highschool game. There is some tailgating going on but not much. There wasn't much noise in the air. Ross Ade stadium is about the size if a Texas highschool stadium. Apparently they did 80m in renovations back in 02? Someone's walking around with a lot of money while laughing.

There was way more red than black. He'll at one point the Purdue band had more people than fans in attendance. Btw their band is massive but still sucks in comparison to OSUs. Their scoreboard has blown speakers and the sound engineer should be fired. One mine it was normal sounding, the next it was really loud and distorted. Te funniest thing was since they had no crowd there, they mics what little bit was there and played their noise through score board when OSU had the ball. Basically they had to push crowd noise through the speakers in attempt of distracting OSU, didn't work haha.

Meyer would have taken the job at Michigan as well.

Don't think so, He would taken a Job at ND, but not Michigan, he really has no ties there. He coached under Earl Bruce @ OSU and they are really close. I think Earl is one of the reasons why Urban Meyer came to Ohio State.

Don't think so, He would taken a Job at ND, but not Michigan, he really has no ties there. He coached under Earl Bruce @ OSU and they are really close. I think Earl is one of the reasons why Urban Meyer came to Ohio State.

I'm quoting the man himself, dude. When he took the job at tOSU, he said in his press conference that he would have come out of retirement for one of three jobs; ND, UM, and tOSU.