College Football Thread v3.0

Dr. Pomade

I'd say the pollsters are waiting to toss Clemson out of the top 10. I think people are realizing the ACC is a dumpster fire and that Georgia wasn't all that good (even before the injuries) and, therefore, Clemson is far from special and, thus, FSU isn't the world beater we thought they were a month ago. With a 2nd loss, I bet Clemson falls to like 12 - especially if they lose to a 2-loss team in S. Carolina. I'm confident MSU moves ahead of a 2-loss Clemson. I think there's already a lot of talk going on about MSU getting screwed and how they shouldn't be behind any one-loss team.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like there's going to be a lot of scarlet in the Big House this weekend. Tons and tons of tickets available on Stub Hub.

Rumors of Hoke's job being in jeopardy but I don't buy that just yet. They'll make wholesale changes to the offensive staff and give it another year or two.

Some changes to the posted schedule in OSU's team meeting room...

http://i.imgur.com/9TM6YR8.jpg

Everything else covered up this week. One game season.

Urban said during his presser today that he "learned to dislike Michigan at a very young age." The next reporter pointed out that he actually said "Michigan" instead of "that team up north." Urban was surprised responding with... "I did? Wow. I apologize."

Later discussed rivalry games at other schools, referring to BYU as "that team down south" and Florida State as "that team out west."

Last note on Florida-GSU... I think I pointed out or at least saw it pointed out that GSU was just as injury depleted as Florida. They were actually MORE depleted just straight up then MORE again when you consider they have 20 less scholarship players.

Florida - 85 scholarships - 10 players injured/out

Georgia Southern - 65 scholarships - 19 players injured/out

I love tOSU as much as anyone here, but do you seriously think that tOSU can hang with Alabama or FSU in the national championship game?

No question. In a one game setting this team could beat either of them. What have you seen this season that makes you think they couldn't?

On another note, 5-star LB Raekwon McMillan is announcing on December 16th at his school. Top 3 are Bama, OSU and Clemson. Has taken officials to all 3. Most people have felt he was an OSU lean for a long time but the commitment of 5-star DE Da'Shawn Hand in the past couple weeks to Bama has some people worried as those two struck up a bit of a friendship on the combine circuit in the early parts of their recruitment.

People worried about the fact that he just came off his visit to Clemson shouldn't read into it that much. He's had this date in mind for a while because it's one day before or one day after the dead period starts so he gets to announce, not worry about coaches trying to contact him and change his mind and then enroll in January.

Why couldn't they? I believe when OSU is firing on all cylinders their offense can put points up on the board. If the defense plays the way it has in 3 of the last 4 games, then absolutely.

+1

And to add to that, a defense always seems to get better with a layoff. I think it's because the time off gives a defense time to get healthy and rested - and thus they get faster, more energized, etc. - and it also gives them time to study film, get their assignments down, etc. So, if defense is our weakness (and it has been), then a month-long layoff to get well and study up on one opponent would be just what the doctor ordered.

I think he is OSU bound, Bama has 5 of the top 31 linebackers committed already..

To add to Tilly's post, Christian Bryant will be back for the bowl game as well. I am not a huge fan of his, but he is def an upgrade over Pittsburgh Brown that's for sure.

Edited by DaddyBuiltRacing

Another thing to consider is that Urban has a great track record coaching in bowl games and against SEC teams (i.e., teams with fast, athletic defenses). I think sometimes we forget how good of a coach he is. And we know he's great at getting a team ready when they are the major underdog (see Florida, 2006). We'd, of course, be a huge underdog against either Bama or FSU, and I think he'd use that as all kinds of motivation.

I don't want to come across as too much of an OSU/Urban fan boi (even though I am), as it's not like I wouldn't be worried to play Bama or FSU. Would I rather play, say, Indiana for the NC? Of course. I'm just saying that I like our chances against anyone at this point. So, yeah, put us in NCG and let's see what happens.

I actually would prefer to have OSU as the underdog in the NCG should they make it. How favored was Miami in 02? How favored was OSU in 06? Who was favored in 07 lol

IIRC, Miami was at least an 11 point favorite over Ohio State in 2002. I am fairly sure it was the largest spread in the history of a title game up to that point, and maybe still?

I forget how much of a favorite Ohio State was in 2006 and 2007, but I remember that the 2006 squad was not only favored by a bunch, but people were talking about them being the best college football team of all of time. Remember, going into that game we had already beaten the #2 in the nation twice that year - Texas and Michigan - and I think when we played Iowa that year they were ranked somewhere between #15-#19. Talk about an impressive resume. Too bad we laid a fucking egg against Florida. Horrific.

That 06 defense was really, really good. You have to think they went against the #2 teams in the country twice in the regular season and still only gave up 10.4 points a game...This current Ohio State team hasn't faced anyone even close to those Texas/Michigan teams and that's def not debatable.

They also had Lil Animal, Malcolm Jenkins and Vernon Gholston who all ended up in the NFL, 2 of the 3 are still there making a decent name for themselves. I think I would take the 06 defense at this point in time, talk to me next year and my answer may change depending on who stays/leaves.