GMC Terrain - junk? What say you CR?

RyM3rC

Our sales guys have had Equinox's since the current platform came out in 2010. The 2.4L 4 cyl had issues the first year prompting a "secret" memo about free inspection/replacement for "excessive oil use". One year issue only.

Or guys regularly drove these things 120K-150K in three years with little more than oil changes and a set of tires. Good gas mileage (26+ mpg - granted mostly highway), but they were comfortable and quiet enough.

Our sales guys have had Equinox's since the current platform came out in 2010. The 2.4L 4 cyl had issues the first year prompting a "secret" memo about free inspection/replacement for "excessive oil use". One year issue only.

Or guys regularly drove these things 120K-150K in three years with little more than oil changes and a set of tires. Good gas mileage (26+ mpg - granted mostly highway), but they were comfortable and quiet enough.

Well it's no secret anymore, and I've done pistons in 2011 and 2012 models with the 2.4 so it's not limited to one year. They replaced engines until they realized they could get away with new pistons and rings.

Loose balance shaft chains, and camshaft actuators were also issues on the earlier ones. The V6 has less issues but is a bitch to work on, I have a 3.6 with 120k on it tore down right now as a matter of fact, sludge build-up (easy to get with GM's oil life monitor) and spun 4 rod bearings before it locked up.

All I see being a dealership tech is broken ones so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Most of the issues have been resolved, and buying a new one with a warranty to fall back on wouldn't be bad.