College Football Thread v5.0

bicranium

Based on... hype and rankings.

Alabama was seen as good because they're Alabama. Auburn I think is actually good. LSU looked like garbage for 2 1/2 quarters against a QB-less Wisconsin team (who just lost to Northwestern). A&M's claim to fame was clobbering a severely overrated South Carolina team. Ole Miss and MSU's "quality" wins are now against that mediocre Alabama team and the A&M team who vaulted up near the top 5 thanks to the now worthless South Carolina win. And then Arkansas still hasn't won a single SEC game under Bielema.

The B1G is still hurting from OSU's issues, PSU's issues and Michigan's incompetence so I won't argue that it's on par with the SEC or SEC West but saying the SEC West is "by far" better and OSU is playing practice/exhibition games by comparison is just parroting the media bias.

Pretty much.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn dog, you could hear him screaming....

:no:

I was good until that....fuck. I've had more injuries than I care to think about, but broken bones still look so much worse to me. Glad he had socks on or it may have been on the ground next to him!

And here's where I kill JT Barrett's momentum and he just goes downhill from here on out...

Jameis Winston's numbers through first 5 games of 2013

90/123 (73%) for 1,441 yards, 17 TD's, 2 INT's

36 carries for 135 yards, 2 TD's

1,576 total yards and 19 TD's

JT Barrett's through first 5 games of 2014

88/133 (66%) for 1,354 yards, 17 TD's, 5 INT's

71 carries for 276 yards, 2 TD's

1,630 total yards and 19 TD's

Granted OSU/Barrett have a loss in that span where Jameis didn't. Jameis was also the starter from spring 2013 forward whereas JT had to step into the starting role 2 weeks before the opener.

Also, OSU's schedule has actually been tougher through 5 than FSU's was last year.

Jameis put those numbers up vs. Pitt, Nevada, Bethune-Cookman, Boston College and Maryland. Because of that schedule Jameis was pulled very early twice (Nevada and Bethune-Cookman). Barrett has been pulled very early once vs. Kent St.

And here's where I kill JT Barrett's momentum and he just goes downhill from here on out...

Jameis Winston's numbers through first 5 games of 2013

90/123 (73%) for 1,441 yards, 17 TD's, 2 INT's

36 carries for 135 yards, 2 TD's

1,576 total yards and 19 TD's

JT Barrett's through first 5 games of 2014

88/133 (66%) for 1,354 yards, 17 TD's, 5 INT's

71 carries for 276 yards, 2 TD's

1,630 total yards and 19 TD's

Granted OSU/Barrett have a loss in that span where Jameis didn't. Jameis was also the starter from spring 2013 forward whereas JT had to step into the starting role 2 weeks before the opener.

Also, OSU's schedule has actually been tougher through 5 than FSU's was last year.

Jameis put those numbers up vs. Pitt, Nevada, Bethune-Cookman, Boston College and Maryland. Because of that schedule Jameis was pulled very early twice (Nevada and Bethune-Cookman). Barrett has been pulled very early once vs. Kent St.

Unfortunately the fact that we lost to Va Tech kills any chances of Barrett being talked about at all this year...it's really too bad that we were written off completely after 1 loss in week 2 with our best defensive player out (now for the year) and a freshmen QB going up against a 9 man front with an almost completely new O-Line. We see the fine details, but the rest of the country see's Ohio State = Overrated

Something happening with Florida. They won on Saturday (10-9 but it still counts) so it's not a firing. But for the first time in 20+ years they've canceled/postponed their weekly press conference. They even had one on 9/11.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11653329/treon-harris-florida-gators-suspended-indefinitely-legal-matter

Unfortunately the fact that we lost to Va Tech kills any chances of Barrett being talked about at all this year...it's really too bad that we were written off completely after 1 loss in week 2 with our best defensive player out (now for the year) and a freshmen QB going up against a 9 man front with an almost completely new O-Line. We see the fine details, but the rest of the country see's Ohio State = Overrated

There may be hope. Let's say Ohio State stays hot and just rolls everyone, including Michigan State. That, coupled with a hype train for JT Barrett, could be enough to create a neat little narrative that the Va Tech game was a fluke, that it was first big game jitters, that Ohio State was replacing a bunch of starters, that the Buckeyes were adjusting to life without a Heisman candidate at QB, etc. People may frame it as a distant memory, something that is so far removed from the current character of the team that people will act like it happened in 2012, not the beginning of this season. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but realistically I can see something like this happening. Of course, Ohio State has like zero margin for error and has to do its part in destroying everyone to even get this ball rolling.

Think of it like USC in 2008 when they lost to Oregon State (or any of a number of other years in the 2000s when they lost to a clearly inferior opponent only then to roll everyone else): I guarantee if 2008 was this year, USC would be in the playoff, and I'd put a nice chunk of money that they whip Florida and/or Oklahoma (or whoever the 4th team in would have been that year).

OSU will be in the discussion as long as they win out. The money they bring will be too much for the committee to over look in my opinion. The whole CFB system is about $$ and OSU brings plenty of that with their fan base. Now another loss during the season makes all of this null and void haha.

Went to look at 2008 because of your mention of USC and... wow... what a clusterfuck a 4-team playoff would have been that year.

Final BCS rankings...

1. 12-1 Oklahoma

2. 12-1 Florida

3. 11-1 Texas

4. 12-1 Alabama

5. 11-1 USC

6. 12-0 Utah

7. 11-1 Texas Tech

8. 11-1 Penn State

9. 12-0 Boise State

I think Florida, Oklahoma and USC would have been in then that 4th spot... 6 teams with pretty legitimate claims.

As for the hope with OSU... there is hope. I couldn't believe my ears when McDonough said during the broadcast on Saturday that moving forward VT may be looked at as something of a mulligan and if OSU just rolls the rest of the way (probably not likely but it is possible) they could have a shot. Then you see how the rest of Saturday played out and there's even more credence to what he said.

Interesting story on 11W about how apparently ESPN is suddenly running pro Ohio State stories. I went over to ESPN and what do I find on the very front of the CFB section? A story about OSU and Michigan St being the 2 best teams in the conference and how a showdown in November could be for a playoff spot haha. Someone else mentioned it on 11w's that ESPN is looking at teams like Baylor, Miss St and others are in the hunt and how they know they will not bring ratings or money to the system.

11 warriors link:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2014/10/41446/give-espn-a-chance

espn link

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/108642/separation-at-the-top-for-msu-osu

I know you guys probably don't care, but I haven't really been home to Columbus in a year and a half (since I left for Air Force BMT). I did make it back for two days between leaving my tech school in California, and getting to my tech school here in Biloxi, but it has been a LOOOOONG year and a half. I'm about to finally graduate tech school on Friday *knock on wood*, and I just found out today that my mom got me tickets to the Rutgers game! I'm so FLIPPING EXCITED!

I try to go to at least one game every year. Last year I was in San Antonio for the first few games, then I missed being shipped to California for the Cal game by about a week, now I'm headed to Maryland for my first duty station after coming home for leave, so I JUST missed the game out there. I'm just really happy I get to go to a game, and it's homecoming! I've also only been to noon games in the past, another reason to be excited. I can't wait to be back home in Ohio, even if it's just for a few weeks.

Interesting story on 11W about how apparently ESPN is suddenly running pro Ohio State stories. I went over to ESPN and what do I find on the very front of the CFB section? A story about OSU and Michigan St being the 2 best teams in the conference and how a showdown in November could be for a playoff spot haha. Someone else mentioned it on 11w's that ESPN is looking at teams like Baylor, Miss St and others are in the hunt and how they know they will not bring ratings or money to the system.

11 warriors link:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2014/10/41446/give-espn-a-chance

espn link

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/108642/separation-at-the-top-for-msu-osu

It's also an ABC 8:00 prime time game. Can't start the hype too early for ratings. I expect them to start hyping Rutgers vs. Ohio State next Saturday during the other games too for the 18th

11 warriors link:

espn link

Money: it means everything.

I know you guys probably don't care, but I haven't really been home to Columbus in a year and a half (since I left for Air Force BMT). I did make it back for two days between leaving my tech school in California, and getting to my tech school here in Biloxi, but it has been a LOOOOONG year and a half. I'm about to finally graduate tech school on Friday *knock on wood*, and I just found out today that my mom got me tickets to the Rutgers game! I'm so FLIPPING EXCITED!

I try to go to at least one game every year. Last year I was in San Antonio for the first few games, then I missed being shipped to California for the Cal game by about a week, now I'm headed to Maryland for my first duty station after coming home for leave, so I JUST missed the game out there. I'm just really happy I get to go to a game, and it's homecoming! I've also only been to noon games in the past, another reason to be excited. I can't wait to be back home in Ohio, even if it's just for a few weeks.

That's fantastic - very happy for you. :cool: