College Football Thread v12.0

bicranium

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/view-rankings#week-13

I will *still* stand by my statement.

-Assuming no chaos, Clemson vs B1G, Alabama vs Oklahoma. Oklahoma's spot, the B1G's spot, and the ACC's spot are guaranteed. There's not really much chaos regardless of who wins the B1G, but I think MSU wins. Sorry Iowa.

-If Clemson loses, North Carolina bumps to #4. If Alabama loses and Clemson and Stanford win, Stanford jumps to #4.

-If Alabama, Clemson, and Stanford all lose, the B1G sends 2 teams including OSU (this would cause an uproar if Iowa beats MSU and OSU gets the invite).

-If Alabama is the only loser this weekend, the playoff committee will get flak from every direction as there isn't a single "right" answer, but I think Stanford gets the nod if they win. If Alabama and Stanford both lose, who the fuck knows.

EDIT: If North Carolina wins, Tilley and I are racking up a $100 bar tab and we'll figure out who pays for it when they reveal the playoff.

I dont know that they will move UNC to #4. UNC played 2 FCS teams this season and them being ranked #10 shows the committee is punishing them for that.

Yeah a UNC at #6 or #7 would tell me the committee was poised to put them into the top 4 with a win over Clemson. Them at #10 puts them too far out of striking range, IMHO.

I've typically agreed with Cowherd over the years, and even those in the late 2000's when he was trashing Ohio State for getting smoked by the SEC and USC. I think he calls it pretty well. I agree with him here, too. Ohio State has clicked, and I like their chances against anyone right now. I could not say that at any other time this year.

I don't really think OSU clicked. I think OSU took advantage of a Michigan run defense that was exposed against Indiana. Like I said before The Game, OSU should be able to pound it because if Indiana had any semblance of a defense they would have won that game against Michigan just running it over and over and over again. The loss of Glasgow in the middle for Michigan allowed for the exposure. Michigan allowed more rushing yards in their final 3 games of the season (Indiana, PSU, OSU) than they did in the first 9 games of the season.

OSU's passing game is still a question mark. They didn't need it against Michigan but they would have needed it if they had their shot against Iowa (#6 rush defense) or Alabama (#1 rush defense).

I don't disagree with Cowherd's main point, that it's not absurd to rank Bama and OSU similarly, but I definitely don't have this supreme confidence after OSU took advantage of a freshly exposed weakness in the Michigan defense.

So you're saying they underperformed against Michigan and looked pedestrian. Great - we'll alert you when they morph into the 85 Bears.

Definitely didn't say that.

Since you couldn't get the gist of my post on your first run through, I'll try to make it simpler for you... OSU did what they should have done against Michigan given the recent exposure of their run defense without Glasgow. It did nothing to alleviate concerns with the passing game which was absent against Michigan State and not needed against Michigan. OSU probably wouldn't win games vs. Iowa or Alabama passing the ball 15 times for just over 100 yards.

I'm not on the Ohio State is offense is dominating band wagon yet. They really only have had a handful games of good/decent offense over the entire season. They did great against Michigan. Yay! But that's only 1 game in a row. Hard to say they are on a roll or clicking on all cylinders.

If OSU has any shot, they need chaos and a not just a win by Sparty over Iowa, but a dominating win.

Definitely didn't say that.

Since you couldn't get the gist of my post on your first run through, I'll try to make it simpler for you... OSU did what they should have done against Michigan given the recent exposure of their run defense without Glasgow. It did nothing to alleviate concerns with the passing game which was absent against Michigan State and not needed against Michigan. OSU probably wouldn't win games vs. Iowa or Alabama passing the ball 15 times for just over 100 yards.

1. Ohio State should have absolutely dominated some teams they played earlier in the season, but didn't. According to your logic, all they needed to do was watch some game film, find the opponent's weaknesses, and then plan accordingly for a recipe for success. WOW SO KNOWLEDGE MANY OBVIOUS. Wait, what's this, you mean to say they didn't dominate those teams like they should have?!? Well, I wonder what could have been wrong? I mean, all they needed to do was see where the other team was weak and then attack those weaknesses, right? Serious questions; please answer.

2. When you're running back runs for over 200 yards, you typically don't need to pass all that much. And if Elliot ran for over 200 yards on either Iowa and Alabama, I like our chances of winning regardless of Barrett's passing yards. I'd like to see the statistic on a team's winning percentage when the running back runs for over 200 yards. I bet it's a pretty big number.

3. They still aren't the '85 Bears, but we'll stay vigilant and let you know when they become them so you can give the team some credit.

With the speculation of OSU vs ND, I highly doubt we'll get into the playoffs. They will have another marquee game this way, makes too much sense. Also, the fact that the way it's playing out, we'd need some heavy loses to make it anyway.

1. Ohio State should have absolutely dominated some teams they played earlier in the season, but didn't. According to your logic, all they needed to do was watch some game film, find the opponent's weaknesses, and then plan accordingly for a recipe for success. WOW SO KNOWLEDGE MANY OBVIOUS. Wait, what's this, you mean to say they didn't dominate those teams like they should have?!? Well, I wonder what could have been wrong? I mean, all they needed to do was see where the other team was weak and then attack those weaknesses, right? Serious questions; please answer.

2. When you're running back runs for over 200 yards, you typically don't need to pass all that much. And if Elliot ran for over 200 yards on either Iowa and Alabama, I like our chances of winning regardless of Barrett's passing yards. I'd like to see the statistic on a team's winning percentage when the running back runs for over 200 yards. I bet it's a pretty big number.

3. They still aren't the '85 Bears, but we'll stay vigilant and let you know when they become them so you can give the team some credit.

You're still not quite getting what I'm saying. The team did what they were supposed to do. They did well. I'm not saying they're failures or a bunch of bums as you seem to be getting from my posts. I'm just not on the "they can beat anyone right now" bandwagon as you and I guess a lot of others are based on one game.

Michigan has a weak running D game, yes, but the offensive playcalling was also a LOT more varied. Did we even have a single slant pass against MSU? We had several against Michigan. Several true read options instead of designed QB draws (again, these almost NEVER work... why the hell do we call 3 in a row?). Attacking more than just the nose tackle. Our defense has been stout all year long, but I'm a firm believer that the MSU game would have been different had our offense opened up like we did against Michigan.

You're still not quite getting what I'm saying. The team did what they were supposed to do. They did well. I'm not saying they're failures or a bunch of bums as you seem to be getting from my posts. I'm just not on the "they can beat anyone right now" bandwagon as you and I guess a lot of others are based on one game.

I'm just being antagonistic. I'm sorry. I'll stop.

Tim Beck

Can you honestly say OSU has looked good on offense all year?

They looked good in the Rutgers game where JT was named starter and put up a million points and yards and they looked decent against a weak Michigan D. After the Rutgers game they looked mediocre against Illinois and Minnesota and then lost to Sparty. If it wasn't for OSU's D they would have lost to A few other teams this year.

You can be all excited for individual players but in the grand scheme as a Unit they were lackluster

Good thing they only played and beat three teams with a record of .500 or better