Tesla - Solar roof shingles for your home

zeitgeist57

I find it hard to believe that system will generate 6,000$ worth of electricity a year?

you posted 68kwa a day that's 24,820 a year.

divide the $6000 a year by the 24820 and that shows .24 per KWA. nobody pays that much for electricity.

Im sure they are getting some energy credit rebates and such on all this, so the initial cost was 46-50k, not sure what the final cost is after its all said and done.

So BE is around 7-8 years, does it take another 7-8 years to get 10% ROI? What does BE look like when the FED decides to bail on the tax credit?

For me the money is invested elsewhere more efficiently, other then "feeling good" with solar power.

Are these systems desirable and add 1:1 value to homes? Seems to me it is still a "feel" good setup.

So BE is around 7-8 years, does it take another 7-8 years to get 10% ROI? What does BE look like when the FED decides to bail on the tax credit?

For me the money is invested elsewhere more efficiently, other then "feeling good" with solar power.

Are these systems desirable and add 1:1 value to homes? Seems to me it is still a "feel" good setup.

I haven't done the math yet, but here's how I would look at the ROI for a SolarCity tile roof:

1) Determine if a higher-end roof for your house is desirable based on the following criteria:

- Location in the state/region/country for solar power.

- Real-estate market - value of housing

- Size/quality of house

2) If your home is in a market that justifies the investment, compare solar roof tiles as a 50-year replacement for other alternative roofing material options: spanish tile, slate, rubber/synthetic shingle alternatives.

3) Look at possible power generation based on area of roof, and power consumption needs to operate the home. Calculate breakeven.

4) Determine current/proposed tax incentives or utility give-backs for smart power grid participation.

I'd say that the current presidential administration is not going to be too accomodating of tax credits for green energy initiatives, but it still doesn't negate the benefit of a high-quality roofing solution for any house...it just pushes the ROI out further.

I haven't done the math yet, but here's how I would look at the ROI for a SolarCity tile roof:

1) Determine if a higher-end roof for your house is desirable based on the following criteria:

- Location in the state/region/country for solar power.

- Real-estate market - value of housing

- Size/quality of house

2) If your home is in a market that justifies the investment, compare solar roof tiles as a 50-year replacement for other alternative roofing material options: spanish tile, slate, rubber/synthetic shingle alternatives.

3) Look at possible power generation based on area of roof, and power consumption needs to operate the home. Calculate breakeven.

4) Determine current/proposed tax incentives or utility give-backs for smart power grid participation.

I'd say that the current presidential administration is not going to be too accomodating of tax credits for green energy initiatives, but it still doesn't negate the benefit of a high-quality roofing solution for any house...it just pushes the ROI out further.

I agree with your analysis and thought along the same lines.

It reminds me kind of like a ponzi scheme...

Yes invest now, it will pay off in the long run.

Then your 15 years down the line and it didnt pan out as predicted and there is no ROI just and outlay with little to no ROI (granted you have a roof so I guess that is nice).

I am just not all warm and fuzzy on this one. But I could be wrong .

It might pay for itself if you live in a state where you receive lots of sunlight like Arizona, put back into the grid, tax credits, and use as much as possible to power your home. I don't see that happening in Ohio until the price of panels and battery technology improves.

That aside you could setup your home just to be better for the environment and not for profit or even breaking even. That is probably a crazy idea to some people. I should stop talking now.