What does CR do for front plates

Trouble Maker

If you put them on your car, but don't drill the bumper, what do you do?

Got the wife a new (to us) daily and it doesn't have a place for a plate, and I'd rather not drill the front bumper. Though, I'm worried that if I do the tow hook mount it will screw with the front parking sensors... maybe we will just figure out how to permanently turn that off since she hates that feature.

For reference, it's a 2013 Chevy Volt, though I am curious in general what you all do.

Sensors look like this.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sV0ho0KafDs/Uje_v_bxAVI/AAAAAAAAAMY/LYXHSlMFZic/s1600/2013-Chevrolet-Volt-Front.jpg

It's a little difficult to see, but tow hook location is on the right about half way between the two parking sensors on the left below the headlight and above the sensors.

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/800x450/format/jpg/quality/85/http://www.blogcdn.com/green.autoblog.com/media/2012/04/2011-chevrolet-volt-front-628.jpg

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the grey grill towards the bottom is the main air inlet for the radiators, so that's a no go zone.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't run a front plate on any of my cars. Park at a meter - throw it on the dash. No issues otherwise.

Drive like a potato - no front plate/tint/exhaust would all be good excuses to pull me over, but I don't think you would have an issue with a Volt.

Yeah, I'm torn, it's a DD so just put it on, or it's a DD normal car so we won't be bothered anyway. But, I'm not drilling the front bumper and putting one of those ugly ass grey plastic things on even if it's just a DD.

Has anyone done the tow hook and cut the plate down to just the numbers so it's not as much of an eyesore; ever gotten any flack for modifying a license plate?

I don't run a front plate on any of my cars. Park at a meter - throw it on the dash. No issues otherwise.

Drive like a potato - no front plate/tint/exhaust would all be good excuses to pull me over, but I don't think you would have an issue with a Volt.

+1.

I've gotten pulled over a few times in the last couple of years and my CCL saved me. Agreed...a factory Volt will not give her much issue IMO.

If this is the only illegal thing you do, pay the fine to look good. If you decide to drive home from a tailgate party, and possibly had more to drink than is legal, put the front plate on and worry less about possibly getting pulled over because it isn't attached.

Tow hook mount and you'll be fine. It doesn't bother me as much as I thought my OCD Self might be bothered. The reason being I'm already likely pushing the limits of speed and I don't need to add one more thing to push a CPD Officer shooter laser to want to come after me. I get forgiven enough and like to think the fact that I do have a front plate and it's off-set location at least tells them I'm "trying" to be compliant......even if I'm going 75-77 in a 65mph zone. :p

The only thing I can't confirm but can see on the Volt would be perhaps the plate would interfere with the front parking sensor, etc. Not sure.

Save

Save

I dont run a front plate on either car and was told at mag when I bought the Jetta that after the first of the year front plates were gone. Well looked into it and they aren't gone but it will become a secondary defense. Or there is a bill to make it that way. Not sure if it passed.