Columbus Cars and Coffee update for 2018

zeitgeist57

Since CR was so instrumental in helping get my CC&C group set up at Lennox years ago, I appreciate the group's opinions.

Coffee: With the sudden departure of Cup O'Joe in order to put in a new healthy-eating concept, I've been in touch with Casto about coffee offerings for 2018. While Casto remains favorable with us staying for the forseeable future, there's not a good coffee provider, aside from Starbucks in Barnes & Noble...though most people bring their own beverages anyway. I cannot invite coffee trucks/vendors as Casto doesn't want to risk a lessee getting upset at bringing in outside vendors to Lennox Town Center. Is anyone upset that there's not a convenient coffee provider for Saturday mornings? I'll continue working on ideas but wanted to gauge peoples' opinions.

Cruises: : I've reached out to Kenny @ Dayton C&C about doing a once-a-month cruise from C'Bus to their gathering, for something different and a chance to enjoy their group as well. (Haven't even seen what they are doing for 2018, or the other CC&C group at Byers...I've really not been active in social media thanks to kids- and work-schedules.)

I'd also like to do some early-morning departures for cruises in the Hocking Hills, 555, rt.250 east from Cambridge...open to suggestions as well.

If anyone wants to step up and help organize a lot of these extra-curricular activities on behalf of CC&C - as well as share some other ideas - I'd welcome the input! :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a coffee solution your best bet might be to get with the owner of Champs and see if they are interested in doing something better than the little self serve coffee brew and gas station pastries. I’m sure that they have seen the demand last year with people coming in every week. Maybe they would be willing to provide something more.

The Coffee portion of the event doesn't bother me one bit. It's a shame Cup O joe had to leave, but I don't think it's worth putting too much effort into.

I personally don't think I'd cruise to Dayton for another Cars & Coffee, because going and then getting back home by noon so I can enjoy the rest of my Saturday is one of the reasons I like CC&C. I'd be interested to see how much interest you get for that.

I may be down for a fun cruise but I've tried that a couple times to no avail. I think you're keep it simple method has worked great until now.

Champps has been a good partner in the past, but they soured once the weather got cold; the manager I spoke with was fine with once-a-month during the winter months as he had to staff for our group. It definitely was more of a process than previous years as Cup O'Joe was so easy for an inside meeting spot.

I am more upset that nobody is showing up in winter. I was out there in my jeep on Sat and it was literally me and a guy in a blue bmw 2 series (and he didn't stay). I got there at around 9:30, went to B&N, and came back and sat in a spot for about 10 min from 10:20-10:30. Then I went to do other things.

I don't mind that there is no coffee, but one of the things that kept things going in winter was that there was a place to sit and bench race regardless of the weather. I don't think B&N is a good fit for that, maybe champs except they would be opening just for us which is kind of weird and makes me a little uncomfortable. Maybe if the new place serves breakfast, even if it is hippy dippy overpriced sprout and bean curd sammiches, will offer some of that back.

So honestly clay, given that the hardcore winter group was usually roughly 10 people - maybe find a substitute venue for the days when it's 35 degrees and raining? maybe take over a coffeehouse nearby with parking for bench racing sessions.

I appreciate the thoughts, Kerry. Many share your feelings - Champps was just really wierd to work with and I never got traction on once-a-month meetings, but people DO want to meet in the winter.

My contact at Casto said they'd float the idea of giving us some space once they open next month (too late for this winter) but they also open at 11am so not sure what that will do to help.

This winter, in my mind, is done.

Honestly, I kinda just stopped going ever since Cup o Joe left. While Cars and Coffee is a good time since I like to get there early it was nice to go into Cup o Joe and grab breakfast while waiting on others to show up.

For someone that doesn't own a coffee maker, has 3 cars without cupholders from the factory, and has a rule about no food/beverages being consumed in the fun C&C cars... I miss Cup O Joe, but it's not a deal breaker.

I'll still show up and troll the local car enthusiast scene.

I don't miss the coffee. As other have said though it's the loss of a place to sit and talk in the winter that hurts.

I think Champs is missing the ball here. They are always dead still when everyone is leaving around 11. I'd be passing out discount lunch deals with the coffee in the morning.

I have yet to attend a C&C event. Prior work schedule would not allow me to attend. However I do have a couple thermos's and would be open to bringing some fresh home brew. I didn't know (until I was recently informed) that the group still got together in the winter time. I was under the impression that it was to bring your cool ride to the meet. So as a newb to the C&C, you tell me where to be, and I will work to attend.

Cup of Joe not being around wouldn't deter me, just walk down to Starbucks at Barnes and Noble. Takes 5 mins.

And definitely would be interested in some Hocking Hill type cruises just to get out and stretch the legs a bit and see / hear some fun cars in motion.

And winter always sucks for C and C...but it will pick back up once warms up a bit and the location is still great, easy access from multiple parts of town and large lot where we can gather and not be in anybody's way.

I brought my own coffee because I wasn't a fan of Cup O' Joe. I'm with Patrick, somewhere to sit and eat would be nice.

Fun runs would be nice but I don't think I'll have time to join myself.

I am more upset that nobody is showing up in winter. I was out there in my jeep on Sat and it was literally me and a guy in a blue bmw 2 series (and he didn't stay). I got there at around 9:30, went to B&N, and came back and sat in a spot for about 10 min from 10:20-10:30. Then I went to do other things.

I don't mind that there is no coffee, but one of the things that kept things going in winter was that there was a place to sit and bench race regardless of the weather. I don't think B&N is a good fit for that, maybe champs except they would be opening just for us which is kind of weird and makes me a little uncomfortable. Maybe if the new place serves breakfast, even if it is hippy dippy overpriced sprout and bean curd sammiches, will offer some of that back.

So honestly clay, given that the hardcore winter group was usually roughly 10 people - maybe find a substitute venue for the days when it's 35 degrees and raining? maybe take over a coffeehouse nearby with parking for bench racing sessions.

Wasn't it like cold and rainy all day Saturday?

As far as the coffee thing goes, I only went to Cup O'Joe twice during C&C and both times I stood in like for about 30-45 minutes. I have no interest in doing that, so I just stop along the way and bring my own.

Wasn't it like cold and rainy all day Saturday?

It wasn't a warm summer day I can tell you that. It was cold but the rain didn't start till about 11, which is when CC&C usually ends anyway. When the Cup o' Joe was still around there would still be about 10 cars in the lot and a bunch of CR people at a table inside. I had heard there were still people going in the winter and I happened to have an 8:00 appointment in that neighborhood so it was nothing for me to swing by after.