Home Improvement Thread II (2018)

Zx2guy19

Man I hope it does. Alot of great work on the house. I'm not sure what market there will be for a 300k house in an iffy school district.
Most there don't have kids and those that do send them private. Upside s location to downtown and DIRT cheap taxes compared to anything similar in the burbs.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, taxes on the house are under $1,000 a year, it's unreal.

Had an open house today and had over 10 families through. TONS of positive feedback. I think we might be priced a little high, will probably drop it to 359,000 in a week or so, but a ton of traffic on a shitty day is a good sign.

Most there don't have kids and those that do send them private. Upside s location to downtown and DIRT cheap taxes compared to anything similar in the burbs.

I didn't even think about the property taxes. With them that low, it builds in a good chunk towards private schools.

This has to be due to pre-reno valuation right?

Won't matter either way. I bought my house for 300k, it went from 50k value to 150k value and my taxes are still only like $1200 at my personal house.

This area is also eligible for a 15 year Abatement. This is why it's such a hot area right now.

• 4 weeks later...
Tile. It will be many many years before it is a problem for you again....sounds like youd sell before then as well.

Could do large format tile to have less grout, or pick a better more resilient color of grout.

Do tile, seal the grout regularly, keep a squeegee in the shower.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Probably stupid to bring this up and ask, but what do you think it would cost to have someone come in, remove the tile, replace the drywall (because I’m certain it will need to be at 30 years) and put in new tile plus supplies? $3000? $4000?

Probably stupid to bring this up and ask, but what do you think it would cost to have someone come in, remove the tile, replace the drywall (because I’m certain it will need to be at 30 years) and put in new tile plus supplies? $3000? $4000?

Thats a tough one. That would be a few different trades in my mind, but I know there are those all-in-one handman types that could probably do the job.

Won't matter either way. I bought my house for 300k, it went from 50k value to 150k value and my taxes are still only like $1200 at my personal house.

This area is also eligible for a 15 year Abatement. This is why it's such a hot area right now.

I'm glad I can subsidize your business with my higher property taxes. :lol:

55879592707_02_EE3_A45-9_E82-4_DFD-836_E-23_C2_ED512573-1.jpg

Hung some cabinets, trimmed, built a little platform, Ikea island counter top cut down, tile backsplash, put a new light fixture in to...Wife can decorate it now yeehaw.

Looks really good, always wanted to do our 2nd floor laundry kinda like this but figured I'd wait til we have a house with a mud room/laundry room. Where were the cabinets from

Looks really good, always wanted to do our 2nd floor laundry kinda like this but figured I'd wait til we have a house with a mud room/laundry room. Where were the cabinets from

Just home depot cabinets, nothing fancy for the laundry room, but nice enough. I added some "rustic" pulls to them after this picture.

Hung some cabinets, trimmed, built a little platform, Ikea island counter top cut down, tile backsplash, put a new light fixture in to...Wife can decorate it now yeehaw.

Looks awesome man, nice job!

Haven't sold the house yet. It's at a price point that only attracts a certain crowd, and we've gotten REALLY positive feedback on the finish work on the house. There was one person seriously interested but walked away because our abatement app isn't complete yet (not our fault), another person who lowballed us and another person who said it wasn't big enough.

It'll sell. Not even close to worried until we start to get into the 320 area.

• 2 weeks later...

Home improvement PSA:

PM/check your appliances!

Our oven quit working, it's a Thermador gas range with electric/convection oven. After checking the bake element for continuity, I found only 120v feeding the element. Upon further inspection, I found this.

Apparently one side of the 240 was just loose enough to arc and cause some heat. I installed this range 6 yrs ago. No breaker trip, because there was no extra current draw, just heat generated at the arc point.

Check your stuff! Make sure your smoke detectors are working.

428332e7fac3f29a3c41be0ebac8f505.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

While there is still a fair amount left to do on the patio but me and Sam Demeter Construction poured a nice stamped concrete patio two weeks ago.

IMG-1718.jpg

IMG-1719.jpg

IMG-1722.jpg

Rendered-Image.jpg

Got 5 yards of topsoil I have created some beds around the patio. Need to try and find some plants and may mulch before winter, may just wait until spring though.

Also have pavers on order at Oberfields to put up some seating walls around the fire pit area, grill pad, and table area. Have hardscape lighting also to wrap in...Lots of effort still to go, but its getting there.

Need to try and find some plants and may mulch before winter, may just wait until spring though.

NOAA is forecasting a warm winter...you should be good to plant for the next couple of weeks. Planting now will dramatically improve root growth over the winter and lead to a much better growth in the spring.

I still need to split/transplant some hostas and aerate/overseed my lawn soon...

NOAA is forecasting a warm winter...you should be good to plant for the next couple of weeks. Planting now will dramatically improve root growth over the winter and lead to a much better growth in the spring.

I still need to split/transplant some hostas and aerate/over seed my lawn soon...

I like the NOAA prediction! I aerated and over seed about 2 weeks ago, hope it works.

The local guys by me in Sunbury are blowing out some trees , shrubs, annuals (50-80% off to end the season). So I am going to try and get over tomorrow and snag some azelas, hydrangeas, boxwood, river birch trees, and I am relocating some arborvitaes to the pad area as well.