Home Improvement Thread II (2018)

Zx2guy19

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gorgeous Patio. I think I might have saw that pop up on the Facebook page. Hard to tell as all their stuff looks awesome

I saw it too- absolutely gorgeous. Sam's work has continued to get better, which I really didn't think was possible. The guy is a doggone wizard.

Do you guys think it's too late in the season to put down a weed and feed?

Not at all, but if you do, make sure it is a winterizer based fertilizer. That will help the lawn prep for the cold. The weed control is not so important at this point, as most weeds are annual plants, therefore they die when exposed to a frost. But for your bi-annual and perennial weeds it will help. also putting down some pre-emergent now and again in the early spring will help with your grassy weeds (crabgrass, foxtail, ect.).

If you are seeding at all, its best to do this in the fall vs the spring, and you would want to hold off on the weed control if you are putting seed down.

• 4 weeks later...

Practiced some carpentry skills.

Found some rough sawed cedar new 16's in a dumpster near a build that was happening. Went and saved those from the dump and put them to use. (And saved myself $3-4 hundred)

Moved the thermostat down about 8 inched and re sealed the dry wall. Oh and I installed a whole home humidifier at the same time! Wired into the smart thermostat, so far its working well.

Also did some board and batten work. Had the paint laying around, we like the results. All in I think I have $160 in the sum of everything.

You can see in the masking shot my youngest son wanted to help tape...

56366113926-D1-D0-F419-E481-48-C9-B2-E3-147-FCBCADC74.jpg

56452491438-C965-C537-2-C50-4-DEB-8-C23-B53-BCAB334-C4.jpg

56416174439-A58-B53-E0-D68-F-4-D37-ABB8-7-D0-C34-F88-F3-C.jpg

IMG-2281-1.jpg

IMG-2282.jpg

With Indian summer yesterday, I started working on the paver walls and fire pit for my patio poured a while back.

56548057626-A676-C7-D2-1798-42-B5-B11-F-34-EED77-E0036.jpg

IMG-2337.jpg

mercedes cla 250 0 60

I have not glued the top caps down yet as I have some hardscape lights coming this week that I have to install yet. But the wall wasn't too bad to build solo. I have the wire run already for the lighting as well. Still have the curved fire pit area seating wall to build yet. Hoping for another decent weekend in the 40's.

Got the driveway powerwashed and then sealed it before the rain hit. Gotta say im impressed!

]

When we sold our previous home i powerwashed the back patio and front walkway. I was amazed how much better a little powerwashing made everything look. Well worth the time to do it.

While cleaning everything after the previous owner removed all their furniture (the furniture pictured above was new stuff we bought) we realized things needs more work than we thought.

We knew the entry door needed to be replaced, but the cabinets and flooring was rough. At that time we decided to replace the carpet and cabinets and ended up settling on replacing the floor in the kitchen and living room with one, continuous floor.

I drove back up there and began removing the kitchen and tearing up the floor. I put all the cabinets and stove at the street and someone picked it up 15 min later.

When I pulled up the carpet I found new issues. Mildew (likely from condensation forming when warm, humid air met the cold concrete slab) and 9x9 tiles from when it was originally built in the mid 1950's.

67fb5299fe71b5b36e024d42fcc160e7.jpg1c843d62e464afe2938b588c22d69bcc.jpg76449460409353fe782af733a476adc8.jpg8117d64e6af7c985445eb494d2e43977.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Took a sample of the tiles to a lab and they trsted positive for aesbestos and were on the threshold for needing to be removed/desposed of by a proper remediation company. Since it's a bit of a drive and time is short I paid a company to remove all the tiles and decided to do the other bedroom as well. I went up on a Sat, painted all the ceilings, crammed all the stuff in the place into the bedroom with the bunk bed and left them a key. They removed the tile on Tues and I was back on Friday night to continue work and have the new cabinets delivered.

For the most part, the slab is in good condition. There is one crack, and only a 3 ft section along that crack in not level.

f660b01d4f433dadbd11070c59a85a42.jpgdfa47649adec8f29d7c72eea0cbed144.jpg8e8b2cc020886d0347d964b7768b2744.jpg3fddc52d2811218b0f0e4fda5f250666.jpg

This past weekend I got all the cabinets installed, laid out sample flooring, did some recon for the upcoming door install, and prepped for the counter install. Unfortunately, I just found out the counter top that was delivered was damaged, but Lowes is swapping out for a new piece this coming Sat.

I've been in kind of a hurry because we had already ordered furniture for the place, and it's supposed to arrive by about Christmas. The idea was to have all the new flooring down in time for the furniture to show up but the flooring can't go down until the new entry door is installed. Sadly, the furniture store called me today and said everything is ready to deliver, so I'm out of time. The flooring was delivered to Home Depot on Monday and I'm going to try to put down portions of it this weekend.

P.S. fuck frameless lazy susans. Never again.de5dccd691980c7c1a725758dbeb80a7.jpg8de492b9f4501e4e33ca040975358343.jpg390458353b910e7f6f4548b15440c4af.jpg202095fc286c22db668a263a7818b248.jpg

This past weekend I got all the cabinets installed, laid out sample flooring, did some recon for the upcoming door install, and prepped for the counter install. Unfortunately, I just found out the counter top that was delivered was damaged, but Lowes is swapping out for a new piece this coming Sat......

P.S. fuck frameless lazy susans. Never again.

What's the rub with the Lazy Susan? Was it a PIA to install is why?

We did the S-Shaped pull out kind and love it. Both top and bottom are fully adjustable. Holds the PIA pots and pans, etc.

Props for doing that work on your own. :thumbup:

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/168526705/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/168526706/original.jpg

What's the rub with the Lazy Susan? Was it a PIA to install is why?

We did the S-Shaped pull out kind and love it. Both top and bottom are fully adjustable. Holds the PIA pots and pans, etc.

Props for doing that work on your own. [emoji106]

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/168526705/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/168526706/original.jpg

Yeah, a total PIA to install because it has no frame to anchor to the wall and shim. You have to install it at the same time as the two neighboring cabinets, so it becomes a giant 3 way balancing act. I'm sure a seasoned pro could do it faster, but as a first timer it was annoying. I watched as many YouTube videos as I could beforehand.

We did it for the extra storage, which I'm sure I'll like, now that it's done.

Edited by Mallard

Installed the new entry door this past weekend since the temp got up to 38 deg, but next weekend is supposed to be in the 20's with freezing rain and snow.

The first problem was a long time ago someone laid a galvanized pipe in the concrete as a psudo-threshold. It wasn't going to come out without a fight, so I used a grinder to cut it off, flush with the concrete. Also, since the structure is concrete block, and the doorway is fully inside the block, we cut a majority of the brick mold off on the table saw. After that it was pretty straight forward of an install. This picture was before I installed the last trim piece at the top, after cutting back some spray foam (my FIL went a little crazy of the spray foam).

After that I got the high spots in the concrete floor ground down and fairly level. There was a little bit of a high spot around that crack in the floor. I'd like to fill the crack before I put the new floor down (epoxy?). The vacuum attachment for the grinder was worth every penny.

I also got my first cuts of the kitchen counters done, but they're not finished yet. Was running out of time so I picked up the flooring and had to hit the road.cd374c5b6605a62bd6e9aec021ab8d65.jpg1435eb9c34622383ff2ea8c8e2449b14.jpg92f6fb44a98430be2f70ff05cb0ad108.jpg

8070bc2a4cbb48efd2b475829afac864.jpg

Edited by Mallard