I did a Volvo thing.

zeitgeist57

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, Clay! What kind of power are you estimating, and what do you expect to run in the 1/4?

Stock HP/TQ is 205/250...hoping with Stage 2 and cat-delete it'll go to 250-270HP and 300-310TQ.

I really have no idea on 1/4 times...low 14s would be great. I think the factory is mid-15s. If I can replace the cat with a straight pipe this weekend and get 13.8-14.2 I'd be happy. This is still a 3600-3700lb sedan so my expectations are measured.

14s if you drive it for him? :popcorn:

Do you still have your Accord daily? You should race him with it. :nod:

Yes, 2010 4 banger with 170K miles.

I already challenged him to a roll race, after I drove his sled from Cleveland to Columbus. HE DIDN'T WANT ANY OF THIS.

:marc:

Sorry Aaron - didn't see your response. The S60R seems to be it's own animal (adjustable 4c suspension, different engine, interior, body bits) so I wouldn't be surprised if the rear-diff DEM is also different.

Quick update: I ended up buying a DiCE cable from a China supplier, uOBDII.com or some shit like that. Ryan (unfunnyryan) here on CR was AWESOME in letting me use an old Lenovo laptop and setting it up. I thought I would need it for the DEM (with VIDA to communicate with the Volvo's systems) but just plugging in the DEM fixed the AWD system.

However... since I already had the DiCE cable and laptop :ninja:

https://hiltontuning.com/

I bought a Stage 2 tune from Hilton Tuning...and promptly discovered a few weaknesses on the car. The download of the tune and reflash was very easy. However, the boost was maaad inconsistent, and I found that an ignition coil died causing a cylinder misfire. Replaced that, and still had a P0101 MAF CEL. Pulled the MAF out and noticed flakes of an old leaf??? in the mesh. Cleaned it out and sprayed MAF cleaner and it seems much better...except that another ignition coil misfired. :lol: So I'm just replacing the last 3 out of 5 ignition coils I haven't yet replaced. This isn't unheard of, as 15 years and 114k miles sounds like the max life for these coil packs.

Rob Hilton @ Hilton Tuning has been great. They legit just use FB Messenger to communicate with clients, and their tuning software downloaded on my laptop allows for data logging that he can track. While I'm waiting for ignition coils this week, Rob reminded me to gap the plugs to .028". Having someone communicate with the Volvo knowledge they have is huge.

Looking forward to National Trail next Wednesday for T&T. :fuckyeah:

If the ignition coils and cleaned MAF smooth everything out, next (last) performance mod will be to delete the catalytic converter. I paid for the "cat-delete" option with the tune to not trigger a CEL. The reduced backpressure supposedly improves turbo response and maximizes the power from the Stage 2 tune.

If an ignition coil died suddenly or couldnt maintain load and ignite fuel that might explain that huge fucking pop turning from kenny/mccoy :D

Also I think your power estimates are low. Stage 2 with no cat I'd guess 270-280hp and 340-350tq.

edit: unless you're talking at the wheels, then probably pretty close.

So I got the coils today. Pulled the sparkplugs. Autolite Iridiums were gapped to .045...I gapped them to .030". Put the new coils back on.

Fired it up, warmed it up and ran around my neighborhood. Runs better than ever. Cleaned MAF means no CEL and the boost is flowing strongly and without surging like before...used to feel like a vacuum leak. Trans shifts great, everything is working amazingly.

Pull down Henderson onto Olentangy River Road. Floor it and the thing is easily the fastest car I've owned, possibly down a bit to my CTS-V but with AWD and no-lift shifts it just freight trains...goes up to 80 in no time. slow down to 40 and do a 40-80 pull. I'm really, really happy with the way it goes. My son was super excited, said it reminded him of the Audi R8 we drove on his birthday. High praise for a $900 Volvo. :cool:

Looking forward to NTR next week!

If an ignition coil died suddenly or couldnt maintain load and ignite fuel that might explain that huge fucking pop turning from kenny/mccoy :D

Also I think your power estimates are low. Stage 2 with no cat I'd guess 270-280hp and 340-350tq.

edit: unless you're talking at the wheels, then probably pretty close.

Yes...was thinking of that first drive with you. You should ride in it now...the boost and the misfire made it feel awful compared to how it's running now.

I'm excited because I realized I still am running through the factory cat. Need to cat-delete it ASAP since the tune is set up for it...should free up some more power!!

Had a blast at NTR tonight for Test&Tune. Got there when gates opened at 5pm and blasted off some runs. My son had a great time watching. The crowd grew as the night progressed, and it was a beautiful evening.

ZMRdaWAl.jpg

MheDGBhl.jpg

Now, the bad news: she slow. I don’t know HOW MY BUTT DYNO WAS SO OFF. Maybe it’s the rolling boost runs that feel fast?? Off the line, she grips but then hits a limit with the boost/power. Best run, standing on left-foot brake and side-stepping at 2300ish RPMs was a 15.5 @ 89.75MPH. :lol:

She pulls, but between the power and the lazy automatic, it just won’t go higher without more time/money than I’m willing to invest in it. Thankfully, my son understands; we’ll continue enjoying the Volvo on 555 and around-town, but as he gets older we’ll need to get something faster!

driver mod? :-D

Sorry I should have realized that was your car and introduced myself. What are the odds we were lined up together?

That pass for me was terrible. The car didn't engage the haldex and it went into "limp" mode in 3rd but then was fine in 4th. Stupid awd cars.

driver mod? :-D

Sorry I should have realized that was your car and introduced myself. What are the odds we were lined up together?

That pass for me was terrible. The car didn't engage the haldex and it went into "limp" mode in 3rd but then was fine in 4th. Stupid awd cars.

That last run made me feel better about my car... :)

It pulls well off the line, just loses it at the top end. Like it's still pulling but not fast enough for a 1/4 mile.

In all seriousness I would question the mechanical condition of that car. It should make enough power to go quite a bit faster than a 90 mph trap speed. I would think another 10mph if it makes the power you think it does/should.

https://www.dragtimes.com/Volvo--S60-Drag-Racing.html?resultpage=2

If I'm looking online, it seems like the S60R does much better from an acceleration standpoint....but S60 AWD's are all mid-15sec cars. If anything, the successful drag Volvo setup is to build the crap out of a FWD T5, which I also saw a lot of through YouTube vids. Again, the AWD is a heavy car for the size. 3700 lbs!

I literally just got a response from Rob Hilton @ Hilton Tuning via Messenger:

"The stock turbo on this vehicle runs out pretty quickly and the transmission isn't the fastest, so it [my 1/4mi times and speed] sounds ballpark. It is quite a heavy vehicle."

LOL...so Rob's comments echo my conclusion: it's doing as best as it can being stock with a tune, but WITHOUT going nuts on bolt-on upgrades. Even if going bigger turbo, better boost tubing/intercooler, etc...I'm just throwing good money after a cheap car whose mods will just open up more problems.

I'm sticking with what I told my son last night, that we will just enjoy the car on the road, on 555, trips, etc...and get a faster car in a few years. :cool: