No talk of the new Mach-E?

RedRocket1647545505

Seems really dumb to call it a Mustang. I'd forgotten this was a thing until just now.

Compact CUV? $40K? Seems like a Kona EV competitor. I was looking at Konas today, I'm gonna need a 200+ mile EV to replace my C-Max in about 4-5 years. It'd be nice if my options weren't all dumb SUVs, but anything that drives the price down is a good thing.

https://jalopnik.com/2020-ford-mustang-mach-e-heres-the-car-price-and-0-60-1839875945

So...$60k.

Just what is this supposed to compete against?

I know Ford and Chevy have been losing customers since they dropped smaller, more efficient cars...is this an attempt to get tech-savvy buyers? Is this competing against the Audi E-Tron?

I appreciate Greg’s comments about a C-Max replacement, but is the market ready for this?

https://jalopnik.com/2020-ford-mustang-mach-e-heres-the-car-price-and-0-60-1839875945

So...$60k.

Just what is this supposed to compete against?

I know Ford and Chevy have been losing customers since they dropped smaller, more efficient cars...is this an attempt to get tech-savvy buyers? Is this competing against the Audi E-Tron?

I appreciate Greg’s comments about a C-Max replacement, but is the market ready for this?

Model Y

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Firstly, I have no clue what the market wants. Looking around UA, the hottest car to have right now is the Porsche Macan, a badge engineered VW powered turd with absolutely no cargo space that still somehow costs $60k. Why is this car so popular? No clue.

What I do know is that EVs are great, and I want one just for the driving experience alone, and I also know that I'm a brokedick who can't afford anything cooler than a Leaf. All the EVs with sub-200 mile range depreciate like rocks, those with more than 200 miles seem to be holding value, even the Bolt. That really does seem to be the magic number where people are willing to treat it like a car and not a novelty.

Having slept on it, I think maybe Ford is making the right gamble with the concept. We've got the Model Y (nerd car), the e-Tron and iPace (expensive cars), and the Kona EV (nobody will know it's an EV). It's a small marketplace, and Ford has no reason to target any of those cars as competitors other than to play it safe.

Maybe they're trying to make a new market -- the Macan of EVs. An attainable, conspicuous compact CUV EV that people will actually want to buy, and with a name attached that generates conversation.

Firstly, I have no clue what the market wants. Looking around UA, the hottest car to have right now is the Porsche Macan, a badge engineered VW powered turd with absolutely no cargo space that still somehow costs $60k. Why is this car so popular? No clue.

What I do know is that EVs are great, and I want one just for the driving experience alone, and I also know that I'm a brokedick who can't afford anything cooler than a Leaf. All the EVs with sub-200 mile range depreciate like rocks, those with more than 200 miles seem to be holding value, even the Bolt. That really does seem to be the magic number where people are willing to treat it like a car and not a novelty.

Having slept on it, I think maybe Ford is making the right gamble with the concept. We've got the Model Y (nerd car), the e-Tron and iPace (expensive cars), and the Kona EV (nobody will know it's an EV). It's a small marketplace, and Ford has no reason to target any of those cars as competitors other than to play it safe.

Maybe they're trying to make a new market -- the Macan of EVs. An attainable, conspicuous compact CUV EV that people will actually want to buy, and with a name attached that generates conversation.

To sum up what I told a friend earlier: it's ugly, the interior is a copy of Tesla, but it will sell to a certain segment of the population for the simple reason that Toyota doesn't make a RAV 4 EV.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Meh.....if I'm spending that much for an EV, I'm going Tesla Performance model. I currently have a love/hate for it still but more love as of today and having detailed several of them. I can only imagine if I owned one for a week how I would then really love it.

Once upon a time Ford leveraged the "mustang" name's good will by naming their cars after horses and ranching. The Pinto, the Bronco, the ranchero, the maverick, etc... I don't know why they couldn't restart that tradition by calling this the Clydesdale or an Appaloosa.

I get why they want to connect it to the mustang, it's the only ford name worth a shit when it comes to cars, and they want to stick that west running horse badge and triple taillights somewhere.

I like it better than most of the small crossovers out there, but then again I don't like cross overs, it's just a dressed up name for minivan.

Did you just google, "horse breeds", and pick two?

no they were the only other horse breeds I could think of off the top of my head that weren't already a car name. I almost said Palomino but I remembered that was the name of one of the cars in the video game interstate 76 when they couldn't get the licensing from ford to use mustang.

So I had a weird conversation with my father last night. For reference, my father's gearhead status is unquestionable, he raced in NHRA with a 1962 409 in '62, SCCA with a 1969 z/28, Built and raced sonerai racing airplanes powered by VW engines... One thing I have always known is he LOVES new technology. He's not really nostalgic for owning old tech - He bought a c4 ZR1 in 1990 as soon as he heard GM had made a 4 overhead cam engine, he was #7 on the volt waiting list, he's constantly pushing me to put fuel injection on my GTO, he's not an oldster lamenting the loss carbs and 4 speeds.

So he calls me last night while I am on the way home from work:

Dad: "did you see the new mustang?"

Me: "the Mach E? yeah"

Dad: "Is that what they are calling it? the Machey? that's stupid"

Me: "no dad, It's Mach E, like Mach 1 but E for electric"

Dad:" oh, well it's still stupid. Anyway, 460 hp electric. instant torque, no wheel spin, it's fast, it has room, and it can carry the dog."

Me: "Tesla has a car that already does that, it's the model X"

Dad: "Tesla's are too expensive, plus that Musk guy is a bozo"

Me: "460hp is top of the line, it will probably still be $60-$80K"

Dad: "that's too expensive, why didn't chevy build this?"

Me: "they built the bolt instead"

Dad: "Still, it's all going electric, let the middle east choke on the oil. It's a do it all sports car. I am excited. I want to drive one"

me: "its not a sports car, it's a cross over. Jack of all trades master of none".

Dad: "who cares it has 460hp and can haul the dog"

Me: "and you are going to take the dog on a 12 second 1/4 mile pass?"

Dad: "well...no...but it's gonna be fast, I'm going drive one".

Me:"um...ok"

So I think I found part of this car's demographic. Tech savvy/curious baby boomers with dogs. Either that, or my dad is secretly a Karen.