Another nail in a tire

ReconRat

So I found a nail or something in my back tire.

Way over on the left side of the tread.

No clue how it got there.

And no clue if it will leak when I pull it out.

It's a Dunlop RoadSmart I bought in April this year.

Argh...

I should pull the wheel assy and get down to Iron Pony and just buy another tire.

Regardless of whether I keep this one or not.

But somehow I'm just not in the mood to do that today.

Sorry to hear this Tom. I know it's frustrating. Have you thought about patching it, if you pull the nail? Just an idea.

I'm not a fan of patched motorcycle tires.

I can afford to replace it.

Might be fun to play around with patching it to see how that works out.

Actually, it probably doesn't go all the way through.

I don't think it's leaking air.

I'm going to go out and spray water on it to see.

I'm not a fan of patched motorcycle tires.

I can afford to replace it.

Might be fun to play around with patching it to see how that works out.

Actually, it probably doesn't go all the way through.

I don't think it's leaking air.

I'm going to go out and spray water on it to see.

Yeah. I don't think i would be comfortable with a patched tire either. Just an option. I know it's not fun, putting out more $ for new tires. Let us know how it goes, and good luck with whatever way you go.

Yeah. I don't think i would be comfortable with a patched tire either. Just an option. I know it's not fun, putting out more $ for new tires. Let us know how it goes, and good luck with whatever way you go.

I once rode my ZX-9 with a drywall screw dipped in liquid nails for a plug. After the first hour I soon forgot and speed tested it up to about 135 before realizing what I was doing. It worked great till I got home and could put a proper plug in it. I have had great luck with plugs for years. I was the most nail prone person in the world. Never had any problems with them. Even if one came loose, it isn't like on the movies where the rear tire deflates all at once and blows off the rim. Us poor kids couldn't replace tires every week.

200 bucks and 2 hours later... new tire.

Kept the old one. Might be a burn off in the future.

Found:

tire1.jpg

Leaks when pulled out:

tire2.jpg

I left the nail in when I took it to Iron Pony, so I could show and tell.

I had my finger over the hole and was playing a farty little tune for them.

They weren't near as amused as I was...

This went in at an angle on the left outside tread, pointing to the outside.

So I was leaning left when it jabbed in there.

Having now racked my mind for where and when this might have happened.

I remember something coming home from that Waco Fly-In, Sept 18.

On a left sweeper on a country road, the bike jumped a few times to the right.

Like I was hitting tar snakes, but I couldn't see anything.

Now I guess it was gray nails on a gray road.

That was about 45 days ago, it was probably in there that long.

Guess I better check the front tire again.

Looks like you're all set for next year now.

It was good to get out today but it wasn't as fun.

You woulda been waiting on me all day.

I utterly refused to lean the bike over at all today.

It was like ridin a scooter.

Sorry to hear, but know the feeling. My roofing nail also a product of Columbus-I was down there and gas stop is where I saw it. 487 miles on tire and now another new one.

So the debate is patch or not?

I have a almost new tire (roofing nail still in it and an almost bald Avon (both rears)). So do put 'em in the yard and paint them white to stick flowers in ?

^ That not a bad idea. Sorry about your misfortune Tom. Glad you ate breakfast with us though. And glad you found it before riding 200 miles into the boonies on it.

Had some carb/timing questions I wanted to run by you and I forgot. Next time I guess.

I say patch the tire and we can set up a burnout contest at a bike night next summer.

i patched one of my tires and went through the entire life of the tire with no problems....but since then i had picked up another nail in the next tire so i got tire and wheel insurance...well worth the money. 300 bucks for 5 years (i think) and i have replace 5 sets of tire and a set of wheels

When I bought my Interceptor, the tires were both new. Front one wouldn't hold air, turns out to have a small nail in it. I plugged it. At first I was a little scared of it, but it holds air, no shaking or anything (after balancing it) and i don't ride all that fast for very long either. So, I had almost forgotten about it being plugged, and I don't normally think of it when I'm on the bike. I'm still going to replace it early, instead of letting it wear down all the way, but I don't ride in fear of it.

I feel your pain man; I had 2 nails this season, and countless glass bits from the broken-bottle-strewn campus streets (though the glass didnt produce flats...just some gashes).

It's such a frustrating thing when it happens. I wanted to start carrying around a donut this season :nono:

I left the nail in when I took it to Iron Pony, so I could show and tell.

I had my finger over the hole and was playing a farty little tune for them.

They weren't near as amused as I was...

First off... this made me laugh pretty good! I saw you playing the tune in my mind and started cracking up. As a matter of fact, im laughing right now as I type this. lol.

Sorry you didnt make it out with us. It was good to meet you though, even if only or a few mins. Next time! Enjoy the new tire!

When I bought my Interceptor, the tires were both new. Front one wouldn't hold air, turns out to have a small nail in it. I plugged it. At first I was a little scared of it, but it holds air, no shaking or anything (after balancing it) and i don't ride all that fast for very long either. So, I had almost forgotten about it being plugged, and I don't normally think of it when I'm on the bike. I'm still going to replace it early, instead of letting it wear down all the way, but I don't ride in fear of it.

You would live in fear if you've ever had a front tire blow out at any speed.

I don't recommend it, that's scary as Hell.

I'm not a fan of patched tires either, but I'm riding on one. Four nails this year and being laid off helped make the decision to try a patched one.
I remember patching and plugging lots of tires when I was a poor student, or otherwise. Although most of those were tube tires. Way easier. Although I did a lot of tubeless car tires. I still carry a patch kit on the road.
I'm not a fan of patched tires either, but I'm riding on one. Four nails this year and being laid off helped make the decision to try a patched one.
I'm going to have to look up and learn how to do that. I've never tried fixing a tubeless motorcycle tire. I'm guessing a sideways hole isn't too easy to fix up. Edited by ReconRat