A question for cruisers.

RFM

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh Gawd, here we go. :rolleyes:

I grew up on Harley's. My brother is even the head mechanic locally, so it's not a Harley bashing attempt. Just heard that many times. Knowing how well a bike slides, and how effective a brake is- just curious why I do keep hearing that.

because people panic, lock the rear, and lay the bike down BY ACCIDENT, and then get embarrassed afterward.

it's hard to admit "I made a stupid mistake and freaked out rather than using the front brake for once in my life."

it's easier to say, "i HAD to lay it down," regardless of whether or not that's true.

Honest question. How does a bike slow down quickly by dumping it on it's side?:confused:

Nowhere will anyone teach you to dump a street bike to not use the front brake, those people are retarded, it does not matter if they ride a harley or a sport bike.

The only thing that comes to mind that has a tiny, tiny bit of logic would be to avoid a high side, but I don't think there is anyone that can react fast enough to realize that they are about to high side and lay it down haha.

When I was young and rode dirt there were times that I had gone into a turn too fast knowing I was going to lay it down, but I was going into hay bails and its much better than hitting them head on, but I had gear and did not have to avoid traffic, light posts or mailboxes.

I haven't seen any proof that a little tire offers more drag than chrome does. You guys obviously don't understand surface area.

good point. I'll start running a 250 rear, a 180 front, and buying chrome tires - you know, for safety purposes :)

I had a car pull out in front of me while I was turning and he stopped in my path once he saw me.

I locked the front brake and dumped so I didnt hit the car.

I'll take my chances sliding on the ground rather than flying over, or threw, a car.

I know where OP is getting this topic from, but is there a particular article/news story that triggered this?

Just small talk at the bar last night. And that phrase was tossed about several times.

I haven't seen any proof that a little tire offers more drag than chrome does. You guys obviously don't understand surface area.

LOL WUT????

it's called coefficient of friction... tire compund to roadway vs chrome to roadway, i'd put my money on tire compound every time, unless its a really shiddy tire...

In "translation" (2 surfaces sliding against one another) the surface area doesn't have any bearing on the equation at all.

physics...take it

LOL WUT????

it's called coefficient of friction... tire compund to roadway vs chrome to roadway, i'd put my money on tire compound every time, unless its a really shiddy tire...

In "translation" (2 surfaces sliding against one another) the surface area doesn't have any bearing on the equation at all.

physics...take it

Yeah....pretty sure he was joking. ;)

good point. I'll start running a 250 rear, a 180 front, and buying chrome tires - you know, for safety purposes :)

Now you are starting to understand the theory behind the argument. The tire manufactures have it all wrong, just think how long chrome tires would last. Bike manufactures should have a safety lay down button on them that would throw the bike to the ground when in a panic situation. Tire and bike manufactures should be listening to these riders who have vast amounts of experience handling motorcycles and change their foolish ways.

Now you are starting to understand the theory behind the argument. The tire manufactures have it all wrong, just think how long chrome tires would last. Bike manufactures should have a safety lay down button on them that would throw the bike to the ground when in a panic situation. Tire and bike manufactures should be listening to these riders who have vast amounts of experience handling motorcycles and change their foolish ways.
wow...if so i need a chill pill...and i totally missed the satire...

Yeah, uh, I'm guessing yes. :lol:

NOTHING stops faster than a controlled no skid brake.

NOTHING, not locked tires, not ABS, not dumping the bike.

</thread>

Wrong. Honda's ABS stops in the exact same distance as a super experienced rider. Every time.

Which means you can be a newb, and stop like a pro even if you're a complete cunt and just grab a handful of front brake.

so here's a question for everyone - do you use the rear brake in panic stops?

After having a crotchety old racer tell me the rear brake was worthless over and over again, I still contend that until the rear wheel comes off the ground, it's providing SOME stopping power. Not a lot, but maybe enough to keep the bike in shape if I momentarily lock the front.

Wrong. Honda's ABS stops in the exact same distance as a super experienced rider. Every time.

Which means you can be a newb, and stop like a pro even if you're a complete cunt and just grab a handful of front brake.

Show me the facts.

"While ABS offers improved vehicle control, and may decrease stopping distances on dry and especially slippery surfaces, it can also increase braking distance on loose surfaces such as snow and gravel"

ABS lets the wheel turn while braking to avoid a skid, even if that's a millimeter then you've added 1 millimeter OVER a controlled no-skid brake.

NOTHING stops faster than a controlled no skid brake.

NOTHING, not locked tires, not ABS, not dumping the bike.

</thread>

Do not bring facts into an argument when you can't support them, that's just crazy talk. Sure that's fine for the bike but what about me; I have to be better off on the ground as soon as possible so my large surface area with its superior coefficient of friction can bring me safely to a stop.

so here's a question for everyone - do you use the rear brake in panic stops?

After having a crotchety old racer tell me the rear brake was worthless over and over again, I still contend that until the rear wheel comes off the ground, it's providing SOME stopping power. Not a lot, but maybe enough to keep the bike in shape if I momentarily lock the front.

Rear brake provides 25% give or take of your stopping power... as you said, UNLESS the rear wheel is off the ground, it's doing something. Rear brake presents OTHER issues though, like high siding.