A question for cruisers.

RFM

Do not bring facts into an argument when you can't support them, that's just crazy talk. Sure that's fine for the bike but what about me; I have to be better off on the ground as soon as possible so my large surface area with its superior coefficient of friction can bring me safely to a stop.

Well yah, if you know you are about to crash you should leap from the bike and roll.

lol, I hate you UP :-D <3

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're only going to high-sided if you've allowed the rear wheel to step out from behind the bike though.

in most situations, the rear brake provides the opposite affect, and actually keep the bike tracking straight(er).

I think the 'logic' behind laying the bike down is giving yourself a choice of HOW you want to impact, once that impact is perceived as unavoidable. As someone mentioned, if you know you're not going to stop in time, you have a choice of hitting the obstacle head-on, or dumping the bike and probably hitting the object with your legs first. it's the 'baseball slide' instinct.

personally, i think you're almost always better staying with the bike, unless it's a semi or something yuo can legitimately slide under without being harmed.

You're only going to high-sided if you've allowed the rear wheel to step out from behind the bike though.

in most situations, the rear brake provides the opposite affect, and actually keep the bike tracking straight(er).

I think the 'logic' behind laying the bike down is giving yourself a choice of HOW you want to impact, once that impact is perceived as unavoidable. As someone mentioned, if you know you're not going to stop in time, you have a choice of hitting the obstacle head-on, or dumping the bike and probably hitting the object with your legs first. it's the 'baseball slide' instinct.

personally, i think you're almost always better staying with the bike, unless it's a semi or something yuo can legitimately slide under without being harmed.

Well the problem with what you've said is that the rear tire loses it's gyroscopic power as it's slowed down, the faster the wheels are moving the more upright the bike wants to stay, this is why you have to counter-steer.

Now, just to "correct" your first sentence "You're only going to high-sided if you've allowed the rear wheel to step out from behind the bike though."

2 things need to happen, 1 the tire needs to slip out... but 2 you must RESUME tire movement before the tire is back in-line. So, locking the rear wheel isn't necessarily bad, but you should NOT let go of the brake until you are stopped or 100% sure the tire is inline with your path of movement. Contrary to a front wheel lock, where you should immediately release pressure and reapply.

But either way, this is all moot, if you're smart enough to know all this AND apply it in a panic situation you're golden :-D

NOTHING stops faster than a controlled no skid brake.

NOTHING, not locked tires, not ABS, not dumping the bike.

</thread>

I had the option of ABS on my current bike, but unlike my truck I can't deal with that feeling of the brake pushing back so it doesn't lock up. I was not sure if I could get used to that on a bike.

Plus I would like to try them in the rain before having them on my bike.

Edited by kreator
Added

But either way, this is all moot, if you're smart enough to know all this AND apply it in a panic situation you're golden :-D

And there's the big part. Are you experienced enough to realize all of this in 1 second? I know I'm sure as hell not experienced enough yet. That's where ABS comes in.

Oh, btw, I don't worry about braking in gravel and snow. I ride a sportbike, not a dirtbike.

Trust me, T-boning a car head on with a bike is never a good option. They dont make gear that will protect you in this situation.

yes they do, it's called a helmet....

one of our members (s-13) t-boned a semi, bounced off and came out of it fine...

Edited by magley64

Wait dumping a harley is the fastest way to stop. They weigh what 2-3x that of a normal bike. Plus all that junk (customization) literally digs into the asphalt. Thus stopping the bike much quicker.

Or was it stops the biker quicker. By dumping the bike I got an insurance check so I could stop riding and not feel bad about it. Thus making the roads safer for everyone.

I've had to lay a bike down before. The #1 rod snapped. Half a rod with piston attached came through the block, hitting me in the leg and spewing really fucking hot oil all over my leg and the asphalt. Bike was sliding everywhere. I was going down. Had two choices, down on pavement or down in grassy ditch. I chose grassy ditch.

Wait dumping a harley is the fastest way to stop. They weigh what 2-3x that of a normal bike. Plus all that junk (customization) literally digs into the asphalt. Thus stopping the bike much quicker.

Or was it stops the biker quicker. By dumping the bike I got an insurance check so I could stop riding and not feel bad about it. Thus making the roads safer for everyone.

My Road king is 775 pounds, what is a normal bike? A honda Shadow? At only 745cc's it's 540 pounds.. A 1300cc Honda shadow is 678 pounds.

My Road king is 775 pounds, what is a normal bike? A honda Shadow? At only 745cc's it's 540 pounds.. A 1300cc Honda shadow is 678 pounds.

775?! what a hog (pun intended) a 'normal' bike aka sportbike, curbs somewhere right around 400 give or take, even my tank ass bike curbs just over 500, and it's a big som'a beioch

775?! what a hog (pun intended) a 'normal' bike aka sportbike, curbs somewhere right around 400 give or take, even my tank ass bike curbs just over 500, and it's a big som'a beioch

lol, my Vulcan is only an 800 and she has a curb weight around 600 lbs... gotta love the vtwin cruisers :)

Honest question. How does a bike slow down quickly by dumping it on it's side?:confused:

If your premise is that someone lays it down to make it stop faster then your understanding of why, and thus your question, is faulty.

I have had 2 Busa's, love the bike, but lets face it take off the plastics and it's like a wet cat, not a whole lot to it.

If your premise is that someone lays it down to make it stop faster then your understanding of why, and thus your question, is faulty.

Wasn't my question at all. Maybe I should have said, "How the hell do you flipping think that sliding a bike on it's side after slamming the rear brake is a good way to stop?":o

Wasn't my question at all. Maybe I should have said, "How the hell do you flipping think that sliding a bike on it's side after slamming the rear brake is a good way to stop?":o

Well...the alternative is flipping it into a forward cartwheel by touching the front brake. Avoiding crashing by laying it down shows more control. :moo:

Well...the alternative is flipping it into a forward cartwheel by touching the front brake. Avoiding crashing by laying it down shows more control. :moo:

I know you don't have a working rear brake either... We're doomed to cartwheel!:p

Just another thought. Could all of this have been started back in the days of DRUM brakes (front & rear)? Compared to current disc brakes, it might have actually been faster to dump the bike than to depend on the crappy brakes.

For you young'uns, bikes didn't always have multi-piston caliper disc brakes. Drum brakes frequently sucked & when they got wet, they REALLY sucked.