What do you I need to look for when i am checking a used bike ?

BikerBoy

Tried to make this thread in " How To section " it didn't let me

So here is my question

How to check a used bike before buying it ?

or

What am I looking for while checking a used bike ?

I know i need to look at the handles and engine cover for scratch " laid down " marks.

need to push that throtle a little and see if it spits or cut or what ever :p

What else ?

Thanks in Advance

Tried to Edit the title and couldn't :p so .....

Edited by BikerBoy
Title mistake

Look for bent forks. If it's a sportbike, check the plastics for cracks. Check the oil, if you can. Look inside the gas tank for rust. Check the chain, make sure it's not too loose or too tight.

That's all i can think of for now. I'm sure others have plenty more.

I like to check the following

1) tires

2)brakes

3)chain

4)wheel bearings if bike has center stand

5) oil ( If it is overfilled, it may have been "stunted")

6)fairings for cracks, any missing fairing bolts

7)all lights

8)bent forks.

9) if you can test ride the bike, do it by all means, but not before you do an indepth visual.(you would hate to go down due to the owners negligents)

thats all i have for now.

1) tires

2)brakes

3)chain

7)all lights

8)bent forks.

9) if you can test ride the bike, do it by all means, but not before you do an indepth visual.(you would hate to go down due to the owners negligents)

for the brakes, you mean to check how thick they are ? or if they apply good ?

sorry but i am a total noob :D can i check the bearing by riding the bike ?

Thanks

1) tires

2)brakes

3)chain

7)all lights

8)bent forks.

Very interesting question, and a great answer.. I would have never thought to check to see if the oil was overfilled.

Since you have to ask I'd say you need to take someone with you who knows. That would be your best option.

yeah i know it's better to have someone :D but again, i don't know anyone to check the bike for me near akron" were i live" or in grafton area " where the bike is , i know if it was in lancaster, nightrider would check it up :p

so i'll try to do it my self :D unless if someone would like to help with that, i am going to check it tonight somewhere around 6:30 :D

Good starter list there! Add these also

-Sit on it and check for alignment. Make sure the front wheel is straight for when the bars feel straight for you. If its not, thats an indication of either an accident and something major is bent.

-Make sure the throttle moves easily and doesn't stick. Same with Brake and Clutch levers.

-Make sure to start the bike and it runs fine. Test throttle with a little blip. Make sure all electrical works (Cluster, Signals etc) and no FI/error code lights.

Very interesting question, and a great answer.. I would have never thought to check to see if the oil was overfilled.

Yep some bikes the pick up is mid pan and you can oil starve the motor on long freeway wheelies so you add an extra quart to keep the pick up tube in oil.

for the brakes, you mean to check how thick they are ? or if they apply good ?

sorry but i am a total noob :D can i check the bearing by riding the bike ?

Thanks

the brakes. You can look at the resivours, and make sure the level is up to full. Most cases you can also check the thickness of the pad, looking at the pad on the open end of the caliper. As for the bearings, you need to get the wheel off the ground and grab the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock and wiggle it. Then grab it at 12 and 6 wiggle. If it has any slop, it needs bearings.

Get the bike started and let it get to full temp and see if it will not overheat. Once bike is warmed up put it in gear and hold the rear brake let clutch out and test the gear. Do that in EVERY gear. Check wheels for bends and look for RTV sealer on motor and around hoses. All that will really matter is the bike runs and works properly. Some of the wear and tear parts are easy to replace,but motors need to be in good working order.

I think one thing I'm not seeing here is "Figure the owner out"... aside from being needed for negotiation you also need to know the owner to know how the bike was ridden.

I always get the sellers name before I check out a bike. Once you have his name and where he lives it is not hard to google them and look at there Facebook and or Myspace pages. Take a look at all of there pictures. If they are a stunter 9 times out of 10 they will have pics of themselves stunting. I checked one guy out who was selling a "perfect" bike and his facebook had pics of him fixing up the same bike that he gut as a wreck.

That was actually a topic of discussion for my Women On Wheels® group. Here's some links that contain checklists and advice.

·Used Bike Evaluation Guide: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

·Buying a Used Motorcycle:http://www.soundrider.com/archive/tips/UsedBikes1.htm

·Tips for buying a used motorcycle:http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2111983/tips_for_buying_a_used_motorcycle.html?cat=27

·Used motorcycle buyer’s guide: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1568957/used_motorcycle_buyers_guide_10_tips.html?cat=27

okay here is the deal , the kid who owns the bike, told me that it didn't lay down, " it did on both sides " his father said that they bought from a friend, and he was gonna call and ask him, but i asked him not to before i leave, both break leveler and gear has lay down marks, the break leveler has " hammer beating marks too " they said they never knew that.

the headlight surronding plastic is all mess, the mirrors are out of place " not that bad but the right mirror base is actually out of place, some cracks in front plastic, the guys looks nice, couldn't test the wheel bearing as it's freezing to ride, and no center stand, and it was too heavy to push it over the side kick and check the wheels, rust in the gas tank, 2 differnt keys, i know i want a bike, but this looks like too much for me , it's a 1996 katana 600 with 18799 miles on it for 1700$, i think i should pass right ?

Thanks

okay here is the deal , the kid who owns the bike, told me that it didn't lay down, " it did on both sides " his father said that they bought from a friend, and he was gonna call and ask him, but i asked him not to before i leave, both break leveler and gear has lay down marks, the break leveler has " hammer beating marks too " they said they never knew that.

the headlight surronding plastic is all mess, the mirrors are out of place " not that bad but the right mirror base is actually out of place, some cracks in front plastic, the guys looks nice, couldn't test the wheel bearing as it's freezing to ride, and no center stand, and it was too heavy to push it over the side kick and check the wheels, rust in the gas tank, 2 differnt keys, i know i want a bike, but this looks like too much for me , it's a 1996 katana 600 with 18799 miles on it for 1700$, i think i should pass right ?

Thanks

yes, pass. Sounds like a HUGE can of worms.