Ride Mandates&Rules for Group rides this year!

flounder

With all due respect, you guys are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. If it is a large group ride the leader goes as fast as the slowest guy. If your intent is to tear up the roads then you need to run small groups with people you know/trust and are of similar riding abilities. Any other combination is going to fail.

Where will the riders on ONE wheel ride??? this is gonna be great reading the responses this gets!!!lol...........
In the front so everyone can watch, duh.

james will do it in the middle an just hang out there haha

group rides in coshocton = fail, cuz we cant do nothing right.

I was able to make one OR ride last year. There were 6 of us I think, would have had one more but someone cough, Recon Rat, had a nail in a tire. Max Power was in lead because he knew the roads to where we going. I was at the back of the more experienced riders, with Jagr pulling sweep with Moose being on his cruiser. I think I told everyone before hand I was inexperienced and agreed we would stop every so often to make sure everyone was there. I also said I wouldn't ride past by abilities. The group was very understanding and very accommodating. All in all I think it was a very safe but very fun ride.

If ground rules like that are set before hand, there should be hardly any issues on the ride.

The rules are going to vary with the situation. Larger rides, might want to split into smaller groups, faster riders, and newberific rider separated, with some fasters helping out with the newberifics.

I can see where on some smaller groups, 1 or 2 newberifics could be asked to leave if they ride dagerously, without others to make a newberific group.

Anyone follow what I mean?

I was able to make one OR ride last year. There were 6 of us I think, would have had one more but someone cough, Recon Rat, had a nail in a tire. Max Power was in lead because he knew the roads to where we going. I was at the back of the more experienced riders, with Jagr pulling sweep with Moose being on his cruiser. I think I told everyone before hand I was inexperienced and agreed we would stop every so often to make sure everyone was there. I also said I wouldn't ride past by abilities. The group was very understanding and very accommodating. All in all I think it was a very safe but very fun ride.

If ground rules like that are set before hand, there should be hardly any issues on the ride.

I think another good key is to keep the number under 10 on a ride.... less apt to have problems or loose track of people... and it helps form a better experience for the less experienced...

I don't do group rides. I will happily lead 3 or 4 other riders I can trust, or follow someone who I have faith in their ability. Highways are all law-abiding to the T. Country roads, and the same doesn't apply...

Those that I've ridden with know what I mean.

Rule 1. Keep your own comfortable pace, a person will wait at a route

turn off if needed.

Rule 2. Point out road debris with a foot gesture to which side it is.

Rule 3. Tap the top of helmet to indicate police.

Rule 4. Share phone numbers.

Them's my Rulez...:p

^ I think these sound like some GOOD basic rules I'm going to keep in mind and follow when I start coming out to group rides. And personally being a complete noob.... I would want at LEAST one really experienced rider out in front of me during a group ride so that I have someone to follow, not someone to try and keep up with, but, someone who knows what they're doing and can lead the way.

(Also someone who's willing to stop and wait for my slow azz every so often.... or ever two miles! :p)

2. Less experienced riders need to be in the front or else they always try and play keep up and end up crashing, or rear ending people in front of them. (Get this through your phucking heads people. I’m sick of everyone always putting the less experienced people in the back on the group rides.)

I couldn't disagree more.

Middle riders want to stay with the front and also feel pressured by the back.

If you have a slower rider behind you, you have no pressure.

The ideal group riding experience level should be fastest to slowest with the second fastest guy first or last. Egos are going to make this impossible because everyone is faster in their own mind than they really are. Having a bunch of people riding together without much experience can only lead to more destruction not less. By the definition of inexperience they are less safe why would you want them to be up front? The next fastest rider in front of you usually can't suck you into riding over your head but a guy who should be way up front can. If the guy behind you is slower he can't pressure you.

I am missing the aviation parallel here because that pressure is self imposed. Having a faster rider breathing down your neck is an immediate pressure. Put a faster rider behind you at the track and see how you react, you may not do anything wrong but it won't be a pleasant experience when you are using up some of your concentration worrying about holding them up.

2. Less experienced riders need to be in the front or else they always try and play keep up and end up crashing, or rear ending people in front of them. (Get this through your phucking heads people. Im sick of everyone always putting the less experienced people in the back on the group rides.)

Not only is that bad advice but it will ensure no one has any fun.

This will NOT be the case on any ride I attend.

This is the safest way for new group riders to group ride. Read y'alls MSF guidelines...

i follow the rules of:

break into groups if necessary

the "new" group should have at least 1 experienced person in it, leading the ride at a pace with the newbies in mind. for me, at least, it was already terrifying to be riding roads that had more turns than the on ramp (on ramps were already scary enough). to have to lead the group.... that would've been lame. for me, since it's uber scary to ride a road that you know nothing about, but also for everyone else who already know the road in varying degrees and can safely get through them at varying speeds.

all that time, "ride your own pace" might be hammered into everyone (at least, everyone who needed it to be pounded into them. at least, that's what she said).

rules change for every group ride depending on what the group is consisting of, but the basics should remain the same: experienced rider(s) out front and at least 1 experienced rider leading the newbs. so, if there are only 3 riders, and 1 is new, then maybe 1 guy goes off to have fun if they are so inclined, and 1 stays with the new guy. more often not, everyone will stick together in that scenario, but shouldn't be required.

but that's just my opinion, not a mandate.

How about just riding with people you trust?

The DTC rides have been good for the most part. I only remember 1 major incident and a few minor ones, there is a little ball busting towards the front of the pack, but everyone can feel comfortable riding within their abilities knowing that everyone else will not leave them in the dust (for very long anyway.)

Agreed.

I don't do group rides. I will happily lead 3 or 4 other riders I can trust, or follow someone who I have faith in their ability. Highways are all law-abiding to the T. Country roads, and the same doesn't apply...

Those that I've ridden with know what I mean.

Rule 1. Keep your own comfortable pace, a person will wait at a route

turn off if needed.

Rule 2. Point out road debris with a foot gesture to which side it is.

Rule 3. Tap the top of helmet to indicate police.

Rule 4. Share phone numbers.

Them's my Rulez...:p

+1

Rule number 3 reminds me, I need a Laser Jammer

Edited by alienpi

MSF also says to 4 finger brake/clutch....I 2 finger them and it keeps grip on the bars instead of your whole hand on the levers. 2 fingers are best for sportbikes.

I took MSF long time ago just for the license and manueverbility practice, but for RULES...I make my own rules for MY safety, not MSF. :)

My 2 cents: lets figure out what the rules are b4 a ride is scheduled ( by the leader )

fast group or slow group . I will not be following a rider that doesnt have alot of experience or cant hold his bike up in a turn . had someone i was riding with recently make a fuck up in front of me and it cost me a face plant at 60 , so basically if you cant ride your bike stay off the fucking group rides till you can. or go on a slower ride

For anyone interested in reading about group riding, I posted the MSF's guide to group riding:

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=56149

Does the MSF teach what newb sport bike riders learn? Their lessons are great for newer riders and such. I think they need to step it up slightly and encompass more styles of riding...

I agree with you on the IDEA of the newbs in the middle and am not agreement with Floundy on the leading the group idea. However, the fact is that newbs need to be behind experienced riders to learn, however it is a double edged sword.

I don't care what cruiser riders say, what touring riders say, etc... These sportbike groups are going to have issues either way.

The double edged sword is that if you let them lead (I am against), what was stated in the idea they will worry more about what is behind them and not what is ahead of them. We even see this on the track. Newer/more insecure riders keep looking over their shoulders. This is more dangerous than anything... Focus on what is in front of you - the stuff behind makes no difference. It does, but nothing to worry about or concern over...

The issue with being last is that they WILL try and keep up. Too often, the pace or the group is a majority of like skill levels. That being said, it is tough to not get antsy and raise the pace at times. This raise tends to cause the newbs to TRY and keep up. I've lost some riders at times behind us when we used to ride all the time. Ability levels really need to be more along the lines of similar abilities vs such a diverse mix. I think lesser experienced riders helping and directing is better than majority experienced with newbs sprinkled about...

Middle seems OK, I guess. Think demo rides, etc. The idea is that if the pace heightens, the back group can assist the newbs and control them. However, I still think having newbs in the middle is the same as them leading. Now, they have to keep up AND worry about what is behind them...

I feel behind the group is best with maybe one experienced guy in charge of watching and maybe dropping back time to time.

In the end, it is all about the mentality of riders. I see poor group rides ALL the time. I see these vids and cringe as they fail at so many things... Remember the following:

-Experienced riders... You lead by example. That's enough to say. Act like a tool, influence tools. Simple. Be smart and teach well.

-Newbs. You are newbs. Swallow the pride BS and ride to learn. Trying to keep up? You may be a bad ass MX rider, but the guys with experience in front of you will out ride you any day. Swallow it, be open to ideas and let the gates of input flow. Take it in, learn and you'll be fine.

Be safe everyone.

My 2 cents: lets figure out what the rules are b4 a ride is scheduled ( by the leader )

fast group or slow group . I will not be following a rider that doesnt have alot of experience or cant hold his bike up in a turn . had someone i was riding with recently make a fuck up in front of me and it cost me a face plant at 60 , so basically if you cant ride your bike stay off the fucking group rides till you can. or go on a slower ride

:confused: I ride behind people all the time and they do some stupid shit but they have never caused me to wreck.

Here's what seems to work best on the rides I've been on:

--A staggered formation, spacing adjusted for speed/ curves.

--An experienced, relatively quick rider who knows the road on point.

--Behind him, an experienced, more levelheaded rider who can keep the leader in view without encouraging the noobs to ride outside their abilities.

--Behind him, all the nubsauce.

--Behind the nubsauce, an experienced, fairly aggressive rider on a big, noisy, attention-grabbing cruiser, with saddlebags full of supplies/ tools/ first aid and a pocket full of ball bearings. He keeps the cages off the noobs and makes sure noone gets left behind.

we tried that... greater fail

Big time fail, if you don't keep the group entertained they will make up their own entertainment and it usually doesn't work out too well. I have had to speed up on group rides at times because the natives were getting restless.