2nd bike/new bike: what to do??

Rassilon

I'm at a bit of indecision here...

I currently have an 07 CBR600RR, which i like a great deal. I try to do 4-8 track days each summer, work schedule allowing, and this bike is brilliant on the track.

I also like to ride around town and find some nice roads (which unfortunately takes 1-1.5 hrs just to GET to any halfway decent riding).

I went out for about 7 hours last sunday (~3+ hrs of just highway slab then a few hours on a fairly fun twisty road), and afterwards i was hurtin (knees and ass mostly, but also a bit in the neck).

I've considered it several times before, and im back at looking to add a 2nd bike for everyday riding around the city/commuting/getting out to some fun roads away from the city and even some longer distance touring.

BUT, im not sure what to get... I think i'd like a naked (or mostly naked) sporty bike.

Im thinking a used SV650/SV1000 (naked) or maybe FZ6, or ?? Ideally around $4k, so i can keep the CBR for track duties.

Any opinions?

Will i be satisfied with one of these on twisty roads, and still comfortable on the way there and for longer trips?

Im not too worried about the wind on a naked bike (though i have never ridden a naked bike on the highway, how bad is it?), as the CBR doesnt exactly give me much wind protection unless im in full tuck, and thats way too uncomfortable for long stretches of highway.

OR, i could sell/trade the CBR in and get something newer, possibly triumph street triple R, or Kawi Z1000, or ??

Will i be happy with one of these bikes on the track? I know a lot of people run similar naked bikes on the track, but i really like the 600RR...

I'm leaning towards the used and cheap bikes, but i dunno..

I cant find any naked SV at the dealers around here, so i havent had a chance to even sit on one... i kind of like the FZ6, but the v-twin on an SV is pretty appealing for street use. if i went FZ6 i might remove the fairing and make it fully naked...

looking for any feedback or comments for anyone who has either faced the same decision or ridden several of the kind of bikes im looking at.

Cheers!

+1

he can also take care of your woman for you if you wanna get some time alone out on the bike and dont want your womanly partner to get lonely

haha, ill keep him in mind if that need arises!

FZ-1 maybe?

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2004-Yamaha-FZ1-96830202

you could also get a new hyosung... I used to read alot about these bikes in 2006 when i got my first bike, but i havn't read much about them recently or know how they have performed over the last few years.

http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/product/introduction.asp?cat=Cruise&model=GT650

Go with an FZ-1. The Gen 1 bikes are really comfortable on the street and still haul ass. Cheap too. You can find some really good ones on the FOA web site.

1.5 hrs to get to good roads from Dublin? Head down to the sciota river head north along the river. I prefer to stay on the east side of the river. Not super twisty but a really nice ride once u pass 42. Try to stay close to the river.

Here I go being a nutswinger again...

Aprilia Tuono. It's a superbike with flat-bars and no fairings. Comfy to ride, killer on backroads.

Also fits into your $4k price range.

If a 1k seems like too much, how about a used Street Triple?

VFR

/thread

Aprilia Tuono. It's a superbike with flat-bars and no fairings. Comfy to ride, killer on backroads.?

these 2. I'm in the same boat, love my 600RR but need something more comfortable depending where and who I'm riding with. So far the VFR and Tuono are my top 2 but also considering a Ducati Monster or even a small small shot at a cruiser :eek:

Yea, the Tuono is very cool. only problem is im not really feeling the style of the earlier models, and the latest model is still too expensive.

even the earlier models, all ive found locally is an '04 and theyre asking $6150 (an orange one on craigslist).

1.5 hrs to get to good roads from Dublin? Head down to the sciota river head north along the river. I prefer to stay on the east side of the river. Not super twisty but a really nice ride once u pass 42. Try to stay close to the river.

Riverside Drive?

I ride that pretty frequently. Its alright. not great, but the best ive found in town so far. but its pretty short and not really very twisty.

BTW: any good dealers in the Toledo area? I'm going to be up there for work tomorrow, and might stop by and check a few places out, see what they have.

Yea, the Tuono is very cool. only problem is im not really feeling the style of the earlier models, and the latest model is still too expensive.

even the earlier models, all ive found locally is an '04 and theyre asking $6150 (an orange one on craigslist)

I like to think its more reddish than orange, defnitely stuck between the two though. He would take $5500 for it but needs a new front tire so I wouldn't pay over $5k which is exactly why I havent bought it.....yet

that's why i got the 1125CR (and it does the job well), but I think a supermoto with a decent sized gas tank and geared for street riding would be the ultimate

so, whats a good supermoto that you guys would suggest? i'll take a look, though my impression is that it wouldnt be very comfortable for long trips (or have much of a range on one gas tank)..

I got a chance to check out an 08 Aprilia Tuono today (they have one at Honda East in Toledo, asking $9k new), and its a great looking bike, but the shape of the seat wasnt really comfortable for me. Which is just as well, because i otherwise would have been really tempted to throw down for it, and its way above my planned budget... :p