How long do you keep a helmet?

hue jass

how is he? i havent seen him since the jim beam trip

He's doing good last he told me. He moved over your way early this year to Columbus for a job. He gets on here about once every few months though. He's been working a lot. I don't think he rides much anymore but is a Mercedes and Mustang guy now. He was suppose to ride down for the Dayton May 30th ride but never did.

Shoei helmets carry a five year warranty.

they don't actually go by the date of purchase.

Your Shoei helmet is covered under warranty for five years from purchase date or seven years from the date of manufacture, whichever comes first. The warranty covers all manufacturing defects. Please note that damage caused by the consumer, (i.e. dropping the helmet), etc., is not covered under warranty

first link

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/FAQ.aspx

I got a free new rear spoiler for mine when it broke. they don't ask about anything but the date code on the inside of the helmet.

since they can't prove when I bought it they go solely by the manufacture date.

so 7 it is..

Edited by serpentracer

helmets don't change unless its dropped alot.

chemically does not change...we just get tired of looking at it...:)

"alot" isn't a word.

And helmets DO chemically break down when exposed to sweat for prolonged periods of time. An Arai rep gave a good talk about it at a NESBA day a couple years ago.

Any helmet should be good for 3 years. A helmet that sees light use (my street lid probably qualifies) should last 5 years. a well cared for helmet that has the liner washed once a month could last up to 7 years, but I've never met anyone who takes the time to do that.

my rule is no more than 3 years for a track helmet, and 5 for street helmets.

Race/trackday orgs sometimes ask how old your helmet is too. IIRC, 3 years was their 'limit.' they wouldn't stop you from riding with a 5 year old helmet, but they'd strongly advise that you look into replacing it. And that was an org who WAS NOT selling helmets on site, so they had nothing to gain...

they don't actually go by the date of purchase.

Your Shoei helmet is covered under warranty for five years from purchase date or seven years from the date of manufacture, whichever comes first. The warranty covers all manufacturing defects. Please note that damage caused by the consumer, (i.e. dropping the helmet), etc., is not covered under warranty

first link

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/FAQ.aspx

I got a free new rear spoiler for mine when it broke. they don't ask about anything but the date code on the inside of the helmet.

since they can't prove when I bought it they go solely by the manufacture date.

so 7 it is..

Much clearer now! :)

What fun things do y'all do with your old helmets? Shoot them, hit them with hammers, drop them from the 2nd story window, etc?

I took a pipe to my old icon helmet to see how good it was made.

I swear I about broke my back and arms trying to destroy that damn thing and it barely left any scuffs on it. but bent the pipe instead. and this was a fence post pipe not some thin walled soft brass/aluminum pipe.

I was actually impressed by it. I could not break that damn thing. I even slammed it on concrete a bunch of times. took a little paint off but that was it.

Edited by serpentracer

Growing up we got new helmets after 2 seasons of riding in the sand dunes in southern california due to the sand just destroys everything out there.. ever. since I got my first on road bike in 07 had the same helmet. So far so good.

But x2 on it getting losened up over time. Ill just end up getting another this season.

Thank you serpentracer! I was about to throw in my two cent's worth but you did it for me. Seven years from the date of manufacture is the furthest anyone should ever push it. But hey, it's only your head, right?

It would be interesting to know what the shell material was on that Icon you were hitting. If it was polycarbonate or thermoplastic, those materials will flex a lot before cracking. Fiberglass, on the other hand; is more likely to crack upon a significant impact. The cracking actually helps to spread out the force of impact which allows the EPS an easier job.