How long do you keep a helmet?

hue jass

Till the foam rots, and then I try to replace the foam...

but I got 9 helmets, so it will take a while...

4 are very old, one with rotted foam, and one is an antique...

The other 5 are new...

Not counting three combat helmets...

well considering shoei warranties their helmets for 7 years. I'd say 7 is it's design limit.

maybe I'll get a new one in 3 years.

Shoei helmets carry a five year warranty.

Personally I go 3 years or after an accident (for my last Shoei that meant 2.5 years). It also depends on frequency of use and whether or not you sweat a lot. If you're one of those people that drips bullets to the point that it'll soak through the padding I'd lean toward three because the additional moisture will break down the EPS (styrofoam) liner a lot faster.

I've inspected helmets that people have kept around for 10+ years and in many cases, the styrofoam is either super hard or crumbles in my hands. Doesn't seem like it'll protect the same way as fresh stuff...

I hope knodel, a member here, finally got a new one this year. He's in upper 20's and has had the same helmet since 16!! :lol: Over 10years old! I was shocked when he told me. Dude can fuggin ride and is a sponsored flat track racer, but needs a new helmet. :lol: