has being on forums made you meaner?

SchmuckGirl

I'm not entirely sure 'meaner' is the right word. Just more likely to express negative comments toward what others are saying or doing...

I follow a few healthy living blogs lately and one of them really got on my nerves yesterday. Amidst all the people stroking this womans ego, I commented that she sounded out of touch and entitled to me. Of course all of her followers jumped my ass about how I was rude and to just move along if I don't like it.

Good point and made me realize that I used to be so much nicer or at least follow the adage of 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'. I feel like the forums environment has brought it out in me: making snarky comments or letting people know if I think they're being stupid.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Maybe the participation in online communities just constantly reminds me how annoying and self serving people can be and I'm worn out of it. Time to put down the computer and get back to mother nature!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll agree.

It has become much easier to give negative feedback versus just thinking it in my head. But, if people are going to post such stuff in a public setting, then they get public feedback, good, bad, and everything in between.

The net isn't here to stroke your ego and blow sunshine up your butt. If you can't accept that, then don't post or participate to begin with. I don't see anything wrong with your particular feedback if that was the truth.

I think you're right that I made her stop to think. The next day she made a comment about the 'negative commenter' and all her readers lined up to tell her how great she was again. I guess I'm the only one who finds her posts a bit narcissistic. Which is what makes me think I might need an attitude adjustment.

Good point on the tone of the statement too. You can't add inflection to text, or at least its difficult, even with smilies.

I think you're right that I made her stop to think. The next day she made a comment about the 'negative commenter' and all her readers lined up to tell her how great she was again. I guess I'm the only one who finds her posts a bit narcissistic. Which is what makes me think I might need an attitude adjustment.

No you were the only one with the guts to let her know her posts were narcissitic!

Guarantee there are a bunch of trollers in that forum that feel the same way you do but don't have the guts to say anything.

Forums deff let people be more open and dickweedish. Real life is real and forums are not so if you know the diff then its no big deal. All the net is for is info and to kill time so it needs to be treated that way. Hell if ur drunk u can say anything lmao/glws

I end up regretting pretty much every post I make that isn't "real life" related. I shouldn't care what you think, and you shouldn't care what I think, but sometimes if I'm already in a bad mood it just spills out into this little "Quick Reply" box right here.

im the same here as in person........ many here know. i think what happens is people get comfortable in being able to say stuff to people with out any face to face interaction, then eventually lose their real life filters.