Helmets: What do you have?

tyler524

I stopped after work and bought a new HJC IS-16 since I was needing a new lid pretty bad. I put it on and noticed a world of difference from my old HJC cs-12 that was probably about 4 years old. One of the best parts is it has the built in tinted visor that slides up into the helmet so there is no longer a reason to need two shields. I was curious though what everyone else had. I had been looking at a few Shoei helmets but didn't know if I wanted to fork out $600 for a helmet.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Arai... Nothing will go on my head but an Arai! Once u have one, and then try on other helmets, they all feel like junk. Maybe the only other helmet that I tried on that felt good was a Suomy, but I've been told they are loud when riding??

Anyway, the most important thing here is that you have a helmet! Anything DOT will work, it's just my head has been spoiled for many years in the nice comfy Arai!

I have two Shoei Multitech's and a Scorpion EXO-100.

The one Shoei is only two years old and seems to be getting a little noisier.

I putter around town in the Scorpion. I've had it on the E-way a few times but it gets sucked off my head. Plus, I just don't dig a half shell on the expressway.

I have the IS-16 as well. I really like it, other than a few minor details. The padding seems to come un-snapped too easily, and it moves around a bit. This is not an issue with the helmet on my head. Also, the cheek pads hit the bottoms of my ears just enough to be annoying. I may see if I can modify that somehow.

Just a couple other quirks that aren't much of a bother: The integrated sunshield is not anti-fog coated. Also, many times when I quickly reach up to hit the button to retract the integrated sunshield, the button rocks a bit sideways and will "stick" in the depressed position. A quick tap will dislodge it and all is well again.

With all those little issues aside, I really like the helmet. It's comfy (minus the slight ear contact mentioned above) and quiet, compared to the inexpensive Zox that it replaced. The integrated sunshield is awesome as well! I got caught out at dark once with the tinted shield on my old bucket and decided I didn't like that, nor did I like shoving my sunglasses into the opening, alomst breaking them.

I tried on several other helmets that were in the same price range, but none of them fit as well, and I had a hard time even putting on the Scorpion that would fit. I think I've found out that it IS true that some helmets fit different shaped heads better than others!

Enjoy your new helmet, and ALWAYS use it!

I have a Caberg Gara. It has the built in visor as well and I love it for that reason. I bought it at IP on clearance 3 years ago. Unfortunately Caberg quit shipping to the US a few months after I bought it. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

I have a Caberg Gara. It has the built in visor as well and I love it for that reason. I bought it at IP on clearance 3 years ago. Unfortunately Caberg quit shipping to the US a few months after I bought it. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

I have the Gara (Solo) and a Trip, which is a modular. Love both of them, great lids. You can still get Cabergs from Europe, the exhange rate ain't bad and shipping is pretty reasonable from some dealers. I got my Trip for $150 shipped from an ebay vendor. Considering what the Justissimo (it's predescessor) sold for here when Caberg still imported them, it's a steal. The Caberg is one of the most rugged modulars.

This is a recent pic, I'm wearing the Trip my wife has a Solo...we're kind of muddy, hehe.

156-DSCF0244_Washout_Us.jpg

IIRC, they don't make the Gara anymore Caberg introduces new models really quickly so if you like a particular lid buy two! The new versions are very reasonable tho and have similar features and look much the same.

Edited by swingset

G-Max 68s 'Rebel'.

Lotsa vents, cool and quiet.

WebBikeWorld.com helmet of the year 2008.

Has a external dark flip-down visor.

Optical quality of the shied(s) is outstanding, as though it isn't there at all.

Fits right, protects the nugget.

Comes with a helmet bag.

$135 or so at the Pony.

d8efdf3c-b49a-4cd3-80a8-34fa1452079c.jpg

I've got 8 or 9 helmets. Mostly Nolan and Scorpion. I like polycarbonate helmets instead of fiberglass. One old Bell. Two old Bucos. And a horseman's leather patrol helmet painted candy blue. Dont' ask.

Hijack: Why would a helmet start up with wind noise on one side. I've been fiddling with it, but haven't found the problem yet...

Shoei RF1000 is the best helmet I've ever owned. It also is the first really aerodynamic helmet that I've owned. When I first got it I was amazed at how the helmet seemed to naturally want to look forward. Also, the helmet not wanting to fly off my head or the shield wanting to pop up at speed is very nice. This helmet really starts showing off once the speeds get above 70 mph.