Anyone doing a track day for car?

Likwid

Ok here's the short version. I've got a device that I'd like to "limit test". It's plugs into a standard ODB port, does nothing other than monitor speed and time (and beep).

So, anyone got a car they're taking to the track soon and don't mind letting this little device ride along?

Thanks, and pie.

define limit test :)

>90 MPH for >3-5 minutes sustained

Several speed changes in short periods of time (positive and negative)

Not a bad idea to go to the track and just hand it to somebody... but I suspect someone here would appreciate having a time series mapping just for the nerd factor (I'd look at JRM but he's got the lame truck)

I have an idea what this is and will be used for, and I don't want to help you. :p

It's NOT linked to our product data in any way, it only populates a test database that we use. I thought a couple "WHAT THE HECK" graphs would be really funny, other than a handful of us and our normal highway driving.

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/

I know these guys and can put you in contact with them, I have done work for them.

From what you're posting I could do that with my SUV.

Similar devices, I'm providing the device :) Just need someone with more gonads than myself... I don't like driving 115 for 5 minutes....

ftfy :D

You trying to get me in trouble? lol

I'll have the device in my car for some time as well, just needed someone for the "fun" graphs.

Disclaimer: This is a personal request and is not related to the company I work for.

If you really get in a pinch, there's a shop right down the road from me that tunes 1000hp Nissan GT-Rs and do a lot of dyno runs. Maybe they'd let you plug it in for a few pulls?

OOOOOOH! That's a good idea, I don't ACTUALLY need the car on the road, a Dyno run would be perfect for this.... I'll ping you as soon as I get it. Thanks!

>90 MPH for >3-5 minutes sustained

Several speed changes in short periods of time (positive and negative)

Not a bad idea to go to the track and just hand it to somebody... but I suspect someone here would appreciate having a time series mapping just for the nerd factor (I'd look at JRM but he's got the lame truck)

the over 90 for 3 minutes is something I could probably achieve but this sounds nerdly complicated for me other than just that :lol:

You won't find a track where anyone with a normal car could sustain a speed above 90 mph for 3 minutes or more. There's not a stretch long enough. This would have to be almost exclusively "off highway".

I was thinking the speed changes would make for a cool graph, lots of spikes and dips.

or on a bike... thats easy

I wish, I don't know of any bikes with OBD ports, and we've never tested a device for bikes.

If you really get in a pinch, there's a shop right down the road from me that tunes 1000hp Nissan GT-Rs and do a lot of dyno runs. Maybe they'd let you plug it in for a few pulls?

You're not talking about Switzer's are you? If so they closed up a LONG LONG time ago and moved out to Oberlin. He only tunes high-end imports now... Porsche's, Ferrari's, etc.

I wish, I don't know of any bikes with OBD ports, and we've never tested a device for bikes.

shit this takes my original idea out of the mix since it doesn't have an OBD port. I know the perfect place in Mexico to achieve 90+ for a couple minutes

My SUV can keep up with 90% of the sportbikes on here riding the back roads. I could make a run down 60 and up 83 but you won't see many long sustained 100 MPH runs.

That sounds about as much fun as my trips down 247 between Seaman and Hillsborough. 30 mph sign for curve...meh...we'll try 45...oh my 40 mph curve...meh we'll do 60 on that one. I love it! It also has some rollie coster stuff too!

tracking a car is too rich for my blood... Theoretically, an off-track excursion costs you less, but tires and gas cost you a lot more.

I'd check the Nelson or BeaveRun web sites and see when they have a car group scheduled. Watch a couple of sessions, and then approach someone who looks fast, or just has a badass car - i mean, if you're looking for dramatic speed changes, the better drives will actually provide less exciting data by being smoother. The less skilled drivers will be doing the park/scream act, and with a big engine, really be more interesting results.

by that logic, a bike would probably be a cooler graph than a car too...