Anybody use a red light changer?

RSparky

I get pretty tired of sitting and sitting and sitting sometimes. Some lights around here won't even change at all unless they detect your weight. So, I have to "run" a red light just to get home. :wtf:

But, I really doubt these giant magnets do anything but add on 5 lbs. to the bottom of your bike.

I get pretty tired of sitting and sitting and sitting sometimes. Some lights around here won't even change at all unless they detect your weight. So, I have to "run" a red light just to get home. :wtf:

But, I really doubt these giant magnets do anything but add on 5 lbs. to the bottom of your bike.

they dont detect weight. there is a magnetic loop in the ground that detects the metal when a car comes across it.

either call your city or ODOT, depending on who controls the light, and they will fix it.

i had a magnet on mine and it worked just fine...i never sat at any light

one thing to be sure of though, make sure you sit ON the magnetic strips...it looks like a square on the ground, but its not a pad, its just a square strip...so i would pick right or left side, and park my front and rear tires both over the strip, so my entire bike was resting on it

I was going to put some of the neodymium hard drive magnets on the bottom of my engine. But I didn't bother, I use the "kickstand down on the wire" trick. It seems to work most places. I might add the magnets later.

The traffic engineers say that the wire box is most sensitive in the corners. So often pulling up in the corner of the wire box is enough to trigger it. Obviously I pull up in the left corner, so I can drop the kick stand on the wire if I have to.

The traffic engineers in Ohio, also want to know which traffic signals won't respond to the motorcycles and scooters. You can call or email them the information.

ODOT improving Traffic Signal Safety

for Motorcycles and Scooters

email info to bike.report@dot.state.oh.us

or call the ODOT special phone number - (614) 387-0722

Edited by ReconRat

dropping the kick stand and sitting over it with the kickstand up are the same thing

it doesnt go by weight of the bike....theres no point to put the kickstand down

and a lot of bikes that is unsafe to do because you cant sit in gear, so if something happened and you needed to move, one might panic and drop it into gear with the stand down causing the bike to stall

dropping the kick stand and sitting over it with the kickstand up are the same thing

it doesnt go by weight of the bike....theres no point to put the kickstand down

Wrong, there is not enough metal mass to break the "circuit" if stand is up. Putting the stand down isn't for weight it's to break the circuit.

I love light that don't work for motorcycles because I get through them faster because I don't have to wait for the whole cycle on known problem lights.

Edited by Uncle Punk

Way to let that one outa the bag damnit, I do gotta figure out how to put one on a bike. :)

lol

LONGMONT, Colorado (AP) -- A man who said he bought a device that allowed him to change stop lights from red to green received a $50 ticket for suspicion of interfering with a traffic signal.

Jason Niccum of Longmont, Colorado, said the device, which he bought on eBay for $100, helped him cut his time driving to work.

"I guess in the two years I had it, that thing paid for itself," he told the Daily Times-Call on Wednesday.

Niccum was issued a citation March 29 after police said they found him using a strobe-like device to change traffic signals. Police confiscated the device.

"I'm always running late," police quoted Niccum as saying in an incident report.

The device, called an Opticon, is similar to what firefighters use to change lights when they respond to emergencies. It emits an infrared pulse that receivers on the traffic lights pick up.

Niccum was cited after city traffic engineers who noticed repeated traffic light disruptions at certain intersections spotted a white Ford pickup passing by whenever the patterns were disrupted.

City traffic engineer Joe Olson said engineers plan to update the city's Opticon system this year to block unauthorized light-changing signals.

Again, mis-information.....it is not a magnetic loop, but an inductance loop. Your metal vehicle within the loop increases the inductance in the circuit and thus signals the light to cycle. As stated above, putting your bike right over the wire and especially at the corner should help increase the inductance. But if that fails, again as stated above, call the town's traffic dept and ask that they adjust the sensitivity of the loop.

it is not a magnetic loop, but an inductance loop. Your metal vehicle within the loop increases the inductance in the circuit and thus signals the light to cycle. As stated above, putting your bike right over the wire and especially at the corner should help increase the inductance.

^ This. The interference of your metal vehicle in the loop increases inductance. I used to install drivethru detectors. same principal.

I would think you would need one damn powerful magnet to make enough difference. A rather large rare earth magnet maybe, but I dont see the a regular 3" long magnet doing the job. I have been know to be wrong on occasion however. :dunno:

Wrong, there is not enough metal mass to break the "circuit" if stand is up. Putting the stand down isn't for weight it's to break the circuit.

I love light that don't work for motorcycles because I get through them faster because I don't have to wait for the whole cycle on known problem lights.

have fun gettin run over in neutral with your kickstand down...ill stick to sitting my whole bike over the line since i never once had a light that wouldnt change for me

I just put my front tire in the left front corner of the look. I have only had one light not register me and I don't use that light very often anyways.

Actually, if you put your engine block over the corner, that will work much better. I have a light at the end of my street that will sometimes not change for me. I keep telling myself that I need to call the traffic dept. and have them adjust the sensitivity and keep forgetting to do it. Maybe next spring I'll get around to it, until then, I just wait till all clear and run it.

Actually, if you put your engine block over the corner, that will work much better. I have a light at the end of my street that will sometimes not change for me. I keep telling myself that I need to call the traffic dept. and have them adjust the sensitivity and keep forgetting to do it. Maybe next spring I'll get around to it, until then, I just wait till all clear and run it.

We'll if I get one that won't change, I'll try putting the block over it to see if it makes a difference. Thanks.