What's up with loud exhausts?

sporttour

Why do some riders insist on a loud exhaust? Aside from the whole loud pipes save lives bs, what is the allure? A relatively quiet exhaust can provide as good as or better performance as straight pipes. What is the reason for all the loudness? Do these riders think anyone wants to hear their bike? Do they think that obnoxious behavior endures the public to motorcycling? What is the reason? Is it to compensate for another deficiency?

• Downvote 1

I like my loud exhaust, with that and the intake mods I gained roughly 12hp over stock. Not bad for a bike that still makes less than 100hp to the rear tire.

So far everyone that has heard it likes the sound of my bike. Granted I haven't polled everyone in my neighborhood yet. :rolleyes:

my bike has a jardine rt1 dual outlet so its loud my chrysler conquest is loud it must be a guy thing most of us love loud stuff if i want to drive something quite i will hop in my wifes car and drive that

Chrysler Conquest? Really? There are still some of those around? WOW!

i like the sound of a bike, louder isnt always better but yea. My bike is loud but many people like it and i havent pissed the world of with it so i dont get complaints. Besides danballa has a louder exhaust than me, and harleys are even louder with their aftermarkets.

I guess a plus is that when you can scare the piss out of construction workers on rides, isnt that right danballa...

I love LOUD pipes, but only when they're loud at high rpms. Pipes that idle really loud like lots of Harleys do are the annoying ones in my opinion. If it's going to be LOUD, the rider better be making that bike SCREAM down the road. I love hearing a pipe screaming through the whole rpm range out in the distance. It's sex to my ears.

• Upvote 1

I love LOUD pipes, but only when they're loud at high rpms. Pipes that idle really loud like lots of Harleys do are the annoying ones in my opinion. If it's going to be LOUD, the rider better be making that bike SCREAM down the road. I love hearing a pipe screaming through the whole rpm range out in the distance. It's sex to my ears.

That's it! A bike can make all the loudness it wants, when it cuts loose. And I like it. Until it does that, I'm more impressed by a quiet bike that can perform when it wants to. I've seen too many bikes that claim to be faster/better when loud, but I don't see it happen. A few can, but most do not.