Powdercoat question

justin0469

So I'm having someone powdercoat my swingarm that was recommended by many people on here and CR. I wanted it flat black, they shot & baked it but it came out super glossy. They said they sprayed other parts with the same powder and it came out flat. They are going to redo it but aren't sure how to get it to come out as flat as it has on other parts. Any suggestions on what I should tell them they should do?

Edited by justin0469

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm having someone powdercoat my swingarm that was recommended by many people on here and CR. I wanted it flat black, they shot & baked it but it came out super glossy. They said they sprayed other parts with the same powder and it came out flat. Any suggestions on what I should tell them they should do?

Do it right. (Hand them the swingarm and walk away).

Seriously though... They should be able to get it right. Sounds to me they got the powder wrong...

Any suggestions on what I should tell them they should do?

Assuming this was a straight up deal...you paid a legit business to give you a flat black swingarm.....you should tell them to do it again and get it right.

Now was it a 'backyard' deal by some guy that knows a guy whose sister hangs out here and you paid them 5 bucks to do this you should probably just live with it.

because they said they don't know why it happened or how to make it come out as flat as it has on other parts.

they dont know how to lay powdercoat? lulz

sounds like they got it mixed up the first time and laid the wrong color. if they really "didnt know how to make it flat" then they wouldnt be reshooting it....if its a reputable business, they will get it right...no use to worry over it until you get it back...if it comes out glossy again and they say they dont know how to do it right, demand your money back and take it somewhere else

Thye can apply flat powder on top of the gloss without having to blast it again - as long as it's been kept clean. Should be very easy for them to do.

They're lying if they say they used the same powder for both a glossy and a flat finish. Gloss powder can be made to be less glossy by curing it too long, but there's no way that I know of to make flat powder come out glossy....unless they buffed the shit outta it after coating. Doubt even that would work.

That's kind of what I figured too, Eric. I guess I'll see how it comes out when they do it again though they seemed pretty perplexed as to why it came out glossy. They said they checked that they sprayed the right powder and sprayed other parts at the same time and mine is the only one that came out glossy. :dunno:

That's kind of what I figured too, Eric. I guess I'll see how it comes out when they do it again though they seemed pretty perplexed as to why it came out glossy. They said they checked that they sprayed the right powder and sprayed other parts at the same time and mine is the only one that came out glossy. :dunno:

or perhaps they didnt wanna admit that they fucked up, so they are just making excuses?

if theyre in the process of fixing the problem, dragging their name through the mud doesnt seem like a very cool move in my book...

True - if they fix it then no harm, no foul.

But they definitely used two different powders.

Ah, was it polished when you took it to them? All the parts I have that I had done when I was racing quads I seen this before. A polished part on the flat black powder sometimes allows it to lay flat on the surface which gives that glossy tone; or something like that. The guy I use explained it to me once. So I would have everything blasted before I would take it to him if I wanted flat.

Next time, maybe sandblast the parts and coat them in flat black ceramic engine paint from Autozone. Unless its a high-contact area, will look just fine. And a lot cheaper. Swingarm shouldn't take a lot of abuse.

Or just give it to me and I'll powdercoat it free of charge - you pay for the blasting or bring it to me already blasted.

Or just give it to me and I'll powdercoat it free of charge - you pay for the blasting or bring it to me already blasted.

Agree Eric. Last set of parts you did for me was top notch with no problems other than my lack understanding how you wanted it prepped. :o Sorry about that extra work last time but I can definitely recommend your work to anyone.

If it has taken this long to get it redone then i would stop by, grab my parts, and tell them to suck a fat one if they are taking this long.

I don't know who you are having do the work but I have used and recommended Wheel Medic on many occasions. Shitty has dropped off 2 sets of wheels to them to be blasted and had them back the same day. I dropped off a set of wheels, rearsets, upper triple, heal guards, kick stand, and some misc shift linkage pieces for Ricky Bobby's old Buell to be stripped and coated gloss black and had them back in 2 days and they were excellent.