Powdercoat question

justin0469

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it has taken this long to get it redone then i would stop by, grab my parts, and tell them to suck a fat one if they are taking this long.

I don't know who you are having do the work but I have used and recommended Wheel Medic on many occasions. Shitty has dropped off 2 sets of wheels to them to be blasted and had them back the same day. I dropped off a set of wheels, rearsets, upper triple, heal guards, kick stand, and some misc shift linkage pieces for Ricky Bobby's old Buell to be stripped and coated gloss black and had them back in 2 days and they were excellent.

wheel medic did great powdercoating for me also...but i kinda got the feel from this thread that theyre the ones who have it already, so i havent suggested them to him to have it fixed lol...i figured if it was them, they would work it out for him....but with how their customer service was last time i was there, if it was at WM i woulda thought it would be done by now

OK, so hopefully Eric or someone with some powdercoating experience can chime in on this.

They said they think the foam inside the swingarm retains the heat and overcooks the powder making it glossy. I know on the 1000RR forums, people mentioned that foam but nothing to that effect. Some people melt it out and say it's only there for sound or vibration purposes and haven't had any problems since it was removed. Any comments???

i would take my swingarm and not pay them a dime....they should have told you in advance that it wouldnt come out right, or they should have removed the foam to make it able to be done right....either way, its not your fault that nothing was mentioned to you about it, they should know what theyre doing, they ARE the ones who said they can do it

OK, so hopefully Eric or someone with some powdercoating experience can chime in on this.

.... Any comments???

I don't know whose pwoders they are using, but I'd have to say bullshit to this claim. Flat powders lack the ability to turn glossy - no matter what ya do to them. It just isn't going to happen.

In my experience, a gloss powder can turn flat if cured too long as the surface of the powder is damaged by the heat. I can't see any damage making things "glossy"'. They used the wrong fuckin' powder - it's as simple as that. Ask them who's powder they used and then call the maker of the powder and ask them if what is claimed could have happened. After they get done laughing, they'll say "no way". Or call Columbia Coatings or Caswell or one of the other powder company's tech line and ask them. They'll tell ya the same thing.

Foam in the swingarm won't retain heat in any way to change the surface temperature that much - probably have the opposite effect.

Cut your losses with these asshats and run away.

Blasting your swingarm should cost about $15 or so. The actual amount of powder used would be around $5.00 at the most. And they want $50 to clean up a fuck up of theirs? Fuck them - they should do it free. Its' not really gonna cost them anything to re-do it.

Edited by Earache

Foam does not retain heat. It's a barrier to heat. It could possibly reflect heat or cause heat to build up in the metal parts faster. That only means that they had the wrong surface temperature when they coated. Still their fault. (Actually the foam might have gone to goo from the heat.)

You do not have to pay twice to have work done correctly.

You've already paid them once to do this correctly.

It's up to them to comply, or refund your money.

At this point they should refund the money and cut their losses.

You'll be left with a botched powder coat you probably have to remove to try again.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, i figured, but i was done with those guys. i let them know they fucked up but they never responded or did anything. Imagine that. I appreciate you taking it to Indy for me though, sorry you had to deal with the smell. I'll get you some febreeze until it goes away :D