repair tire, or replace only?

idodishez

Have a small hole in my front tire. Dead center of the tread, not in the sidewall. How unsafe is it to repair verses replace the tire? Same as for a car? Or no? If repair is acceptable, patch only? (verses plug)

There's multiple threads on this subject.

It breaks down to three possible answers.

1. never patch a motorcycle tire

2. ok to patch rear motorcycle tire only

3. ok to patch either motorcycle tire

Some will say a modern plug patch from the inside is acceptable. No plug / patch that I know of is made for motorcycle tires. They are made for car tires. Mechanics will often refuse to do a plug / patch or any patch on a motorcycle tire.

Everyone has a personal opinion. Mine is if it can be afforded, replace it. Especially a front tire. Too risky. An option is to install a tube. That's safe. I will say any patch out on the road that gets you home is acceptable in an emergency repair. I've had three tire blow outs and two or three or four flats on motorcycles. All were rear tires except one front. I never ever want to have a front tire blow out again. Ever. I've kept good fresh tires up front ever since that happened.

Sure, I used to patch up tires or replace tubes in bikes when I was younger. But now I just replace the tire and try again. That includes one tire two years ago that was brand new and picked up a nail while leaning through a turn. Not fixable the way it punctured anyway.

edit: Radial tires require radial tubes, if one is used. Hardly anyone does that. They are expensive.

Edited by ReconRat

There's multiple threads on this subject.

It breaks down to three possible answers.

1. never patch a motorcycle tire

2. ok to patch rear motorcycle tire only

3. ok to patch either motorcycle tire

Some will say a modern plug patch from the inside is acceptable. No plug / patch that I know of is made for motorcycle tires. They are made for car tires. Mechanics will often refuse to do a plug / patch or any patch on a motorcycle tire.

Everyone has a personal opinion. Mine is if it can be afforded, replace it. Especially a front tire. Too risky. An option is to install a tube. That's safe. I will say any patch out on the road that gets you home is acceptable in an emergency repair. I've had three tire blow outs and two or three or four flats on motorcycles. All were rear tires except one front. I never ever want to have a front tire blow out again. Ever. I've kept good fresh tires up front ever since that happened.

Sure, I used to patch up tires or replace tubes in bikes when I was younger. But now I just replace the tire and try again. That includes one tire two years ago that was brand new and picked up a nail while leaning through a turn. Not fixable the way it punctured anyway.

edit: Radial tires require radial tubes, if one is used. Hardly anyone does that. They are expensive.

I actually did search first, but all I found was thread w a You Tube video on Duct tape repair of a rear tire:)

I'll replace it. Dont want to risk any issues at a buck fifty. Though the two times I have had a flat on front tires I couldnt tell visually. (It wasnt actually "flat") Just handled horribly:)

replacing a tire is cheaper than new plastics and medical bills. Not worth it IMO. Sure, there are plenty of personal anecdotes about hundreds of miles on a plug. But you only have 2 relatively small contact patches on the road. Why risk one of them?

Well, I'll tell you to replace it. Especially being on a supersport bike, unless you just cruise around on, and then I'd still say replace it.

Personally, I plugged the front tire on my VF500. It was a brand new tire when I got the bike (literally had zero miles on it, all the original compound and casting flash on it) and had a hole from being rolled around in the shed from where I bought it. The first year I rode it, it would lose about a pound or 2 of air after a month or so. After sitting outside this winter, it was still right where I had set it last fall. I'm not at the skill level to push the bike all that hard, so I'm not uncomfortable with it. I could swap the tire out from the Ninja, since it's the same size.

I actually did search first, but all I found was thread w a You Tube video on Duct tape repair of a rear tire:)

I'll replace it. Dont want to risk any issues at a buck fifty. Though the two times I have had a flat on front tires I couldnt tell visually. (It wasnt actually "flat") Just handled horribly:)

Mine went into a 45mph tank slapper. Hard to forget. I stayed upright somehow.

Patch the thing and be done with it. I have done it numerous times without an issue. I know people who have done it as much as I do without any issues. Those telling you not to are only guessing about what could happen without any real world experience. This has been discussed before and I still can't remember hearing of anyone who has had a bad experience once they have patched a tire. Maybe I don't ride as hard as some of the guys telling you not to do it but I have done this on several fast bikes.

Patch the thing and be done with it. I have done it numerous times without an issue. I know people who have done it as much as I do without any issues. Those telling you not to are only guessing about what could happen without any real world experience. This has been discussed before and I still can't remember hearing of anyone who has had a bad experience once they have patched a tire. Maybe I don't ride as hard as some of the guys telling you not to do it but I have done this on several fast bikes.

Ever ridden hard and have a front tire go flat instantly due to a hole in the tire? Real world experience states that unless cruising around at school zone speeds, if the front patch goes and your tire deflates at speed, you'll really wish you spent the money.

You can patch anything. The idea is that the carcass heats up and the tire is SUPPOSED to flex under load. On a sportbike, that is from edge to edge and given that idea, the patch or plug isn't a good idea. Especially the plug.

Now, I will say that if you can get someone to vulcanize patch the tire from the inside, it may be fine. But again, unless you've had real world experience as mentioned and you've lost air quickly in a front tire of a sportbike at speed, you'd pay the $150 for a tire.

;)

I've used a plug patch on two of my tires and never had a problem with either of them. The only way I would do it if I were you would be to take the tire to a shop that you absolutely trust and DO NOT take it to wal-mart.

I've used a plug patch on two of my tires and never had a problem with either of them. The only way I would do it if I were you would be to take the tire to a shop that you absolutely trust and DO NOT take it to wal-mart.

The method of patch or plug IS very important. I used a Tech brand plug, which uses a chemical vulcanizing process to basically melt the plug into the rubber of the tire. The sticky plugs that you can get at the parts store are just a temporary, "get me home" fix, and can usually be pushed out. The Tech stuff, if done properly, cannot be removed.

I can't recommend plugging for fear of litigation it but I've ridden probably 4,000 miles on plugged tires & have reached speeds with the plugs that certainly wouldn't be recommended by anyone. What's the worst that could happen? The plug falls out & your tire slowly deflates. (Provided it was a very small hole in the first place & you didn't open it up too far installing the mushroom plug.) You feel the tire start to feel a little low & you pull over, put another plug in & ride home to install a new tire. I figure my chances of having my tire go kaboom & maim me from a plug falling out are probably much less than that of deer, tractors, gravel, or Amish wagons, etc, etc, etc getting the best of me. I'll probably get flamed from the do-gooders for this, but this is just my experience with the subject.

well you can do what you want, but if the boy your holding in your arms had his way or say in the matter, i would think he,d say replace. but you got to remember, im a papa

Good god. This is how fucked up laws get passed.

Ever ridden hard and have a front tire go flat instantly due to a hole in the tire? Real world experience states that unless cruising around at school zone speeds, if the front patch goes and your tire deflates at speed, you'll really wish you spent the money.

You can patch anything. The idea is that the carcass heats up and the tire is SUPPOSED to flex under load. On a sportbike, that is from edge to edge and given that idea, the patch or plug isn't a good idea. Especially the plug.

Now, I will say that if you can get someone to vulcanize patch the tire from the inside, it may be fine. But again, unless you've had real world experience as mentioned and you've lost air quickly in a front tire of a sportbike at speed, you'd pay the $150 for a tire.

;)

There is no doubt that a front going flat when being pushed would suck and is an experience I wouldn't want to go through. That particular even can happen at any time with a tire that is patched or not. My real world experience and riding with others who patch tires says that a patched tire doesn't make that event happen with any more certainty. I get the concept of heating a carcass but haven't had it throw a plug out at any speed. I have never had a catastrophic blowout with any type of tire plugged or not and seriously doubt that if that event takes place it will be because of a plug.

I am fairly sure this has been discussed before but as I get older if I have slept since the event there is a good chance all the details won't be remembered. I sure hope I'm not upsetting anyone repeating myself I won't be able to sleep with that on my conscience.

Made me think...

I've burst a rear retread on a car at 130.

I've burst a rear retread on a car at 90.

I've burst multiple tires on cars at 80.

Too many flats to count on cars.

One catastrophic front blow out on a bike, with violent tank slapper.

One front flat from a thorn off road on a bike.

Five rear flats on bikes? Maybe more. One was catastrophic on freeway.

(OSHP saw it happen and took me home to get the van. Thanks trooper.)

That's plenty for me. I'll stick with new tires. I'm pushing my luck.

(And yeah, I've blown out plugs, and just stopped and put another one in.)