riding footwear for sportbikes

Jamez

I've been looking at riding boots lately and I'm just curious as to what everyone is wearing. I currently don't have any but need to get some ASAP before I try and take my MSF course.

I don't know if I need full riding boots like alpine stars or justa pair of over ankle boots. Are the alpine stars style necessary or are they for racing?

This is my first pair of riding boots as I'm new to riding period. I just don't want to drop 200 bucks on something If I don't need them.

Thanks

sidi or bust IMO. A* are not bad. either.

the price hurts, but not as bad as this

Gruesome:

http://www.sports-injury-info.com/images/shauns-fractured-fibula-compound-ankle-dislocation-playing-baseball-warning-graphic-fracture-image-21312923.jpg

Edited by Casper
linked to photo, not something people want to see without a warning, lol

I wear Sidi Vertigos on the spirited street rides. They arent race specific...I use them cuz they offer the best protection.

If im just doing tasks around town and getting some coffee at a starbucks, ive got regular boots (MIL issued).

If you ever "need" $200 boots, then youll want them. Its risk management, you can ride a bike buck-naked if you wanted to. I just enjoy certain levels of protection for certain types of rides.

I have the Icon Field Armor Chukka boots. They are a little uncomfortable at first, until you get them broke in. They do not bend, so I feel like Frankenstein when I am walking around, but not bending is a good thing. I don't race, so getting a race boot made no sense. Well that and I would have looked pretty silly riding a cruiser with racing boots. :D

I don't want to confuse anyone with my question so ill elaborate a little.

I know racing boots offer the best protection and do plan to buy a nice pair when I have a few hundred bucks to drop.

I also know that for the MSF course they require bare minimum and as long as you have above ankle anything then they'll take you.

I was wondering as to how relevant racing boots are to regular riding around town and if there was a cheaper option until I can afford the good stuff. I'm not trying to be a squid with flip-flops but at the same time I'm looking for decent protection somewhere between racing boots and tennis shoes that will allow me to take the MSF and be somewhat safe putting around town until I get racers.

Does a in between option exist or am I asking a noob question and being a cheap ass?

Thanks a lot for the advice in advance.

I think these are discontinued but I have a pair of these for casual use. They are actually very comfortable to walk in

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/images/InitialSet/tcx_x_square_boots_black_400.jpg

tcx_x_square_boots_black_400.jpg

Then I also have some Sidi Vertigo Air boots for the track and for when I'm riding out of town in full leathers. Not that great for walking but amazingly comfortable to ride in

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2082

Vertigo_Air_Black.jpg

I've been very happy with both boots. Even crashed the Sidi's 2x and no foot injuries. Not sure if I would have had any otherwise but they seemed to work.

For MSF, just a pair of red wings or something will be fine.

touring style boots (full coverage, easy to get in and out of) should offer plenty of protection, as long as the ankle protection is there (as in, they limit movement beyond the safe range).

try on a few boots at iron pony or whatever dealer/shop near you that carries astars and sidi and etc and buy a set of used ones that are in good shape. you'll save a ton of money, and your lower extremities will thank you in a crash. or just buy new ones on clearance.

believe me, i bought my sidi's on sale, but 2 of my friends who just recently got into riding bikes scored equivalent boots (slightly used) for $200 less in both instances. and that was with almost top of the line racing boots.

i have these sidis

way_rain_2337_detail.jpg

Way rain boot. I like them because they are not as flashy as some other boots.

as for riding around town, obv the race boot will provide the best protection, but if you only have work boots or something, then wear those. id stay away from tennis shoes. they will fly off in a crash.

sidi or bust IMO. A* are not bad. either.

the price hurts, but not as bad as this

shauns-fractured-fibula-compound-ankle-dislocation-playing-baseball-warning-graphic-fracture-image-21312923.jpg

Is this really necessary. The guy is already asking about boots, he's on the right track. Do we really need to fear monger about the boots. This is the problem with America (or at least with OR) today. ;)

Is this really necessary. The guy is already asking about boots, he's on the right track. Do we really need to fear monger about the boots. This is the problem with America (or at least with OR) today. ;)

its for all the squids who think flip flops are fine and may view this thread in the future ;)

sometimes you dont really realize what can happen until you see it.

I was at a similar point earlier this year when I went shopping. My biggest problem was finding a boot that would fit over my calf. It seemed that most of the sport touring boots were made for skinny legs and I could not close the inner zipper on several brands. The $300 Sidi's were great, but I couldn't quite pull the trigger on them. I started looking at features that protect the most common injuries. I looked for toe protection, heavy contruction to protect the ankle, and quality of overall contruction. I also ended up with TCX's because they fit well and offered good protection features. Mine just don't have the full racing anti-twist ankle feature some of their upper end race boots have. Mine were in the $125-$150 range. Alpinestars have some decent mid price boots as well and they seem highly recommended, they just didn't fit me very well. There are lots of on line gear reviews. Check them if you find a kind you like.

A* SMX 2 is what I use for all my riding as of now. They are comfortable as hell and great if you ride somewhere and plan to do some walking as they aren't totally noticeable you're wearing a boot. Its not a full tall track/race style boot which I will be investing in as well soon but they seem pretty protective and I think I got mine brand new for $170

imo those high top sneaker riding boots are a waste of money, a regular pair of work boots will offer the same amount of protection and offer a lot more use. If you want something for riding; either invest in a pair of touring boots or a street/track boot like the smx5

imo those high top sneaker riding boots are a waste of money, a regular pair of work boots will offer the same amount of protection and offer a lot more use. If you want something for riding; either invest in a pair of touring boots or a street/track boot like the smx5

I disagree the Shift Fuel has plastic inserts to protect your ankles which work boots do not have. I do agree they do not provide near the protection of a race style boot.

I just remembered I just got a magazine the other day had some race style boots in it on clearance for $69.99 I'll post up the site when I get home this evening. Someone might have tried them I can't recall the brand